Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford 150 1955 Ford F100
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Good post, I really feel some people believe dealer mechanics will be soldering in transistors on a circuit card!!

I'm pretty sure not a single "chip" is installed in any car at any factory, it's all about the modules.

This whole thing is a debacle. I just bought an Auto-Stop eliminator for $100 that has a chip in it so I can counteract the $50 chip that Ford (really the government) saw a need to include that NO ONE wants!! What a mess.
This is not a political statement…… CAFE requirements are why start/stop is required and turns back on every time you turn the vehicle on …… unfortunately it will get worse before it gets better
Sponsored

Sooner

Base
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 F100, 56 CJ5, 11 F250, 17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It's not just the chips in the modules that are scarce, either.

My buddy makes certain OEM parts/accessories for the Ford Bronco on the electronics side, and they have new products waiting on simple electronics like capacitors that have 100 week lead times right now.

They are looking to go back to simpler designs that you'd see from the 1990s just to get around component shortages. Simple stuff like capacitors, resistors etc are getting rare.

It's not going to get better anytime soon and is actually likely going to get worse.
We are all missing Radio Shack now

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
This post is a good lead-in for...

Electronics 101 Primer
It is not the chips that are actually missing in any shipped/delayed vehicles....

Dealer's will not be receiving "Chips", dealers will be receiving "Complete Modules"....

DEALERS DO NOT INSTALL CHIPS! 💡
Other than clarifying some language, I don't think a lay persons using technically incorrect terms doesn't invalidate the concern about product not being complete for what they ordered, nor does it mean their concerns about reliability is unfounded.

Yes, it won't be techs at dealers soldering in chips, they will plug in modules. There are all sorts of shortcomings that can be introduced at the dealer by a tech which is likely under some time pressure. Things from ESD, application of dialectic grease, cleanliness, and proper torquing of fasteners for mounting and chassis connections. It is possible for it to be done right but it is possible for there to be shortcuts cause it is likey it won't be an issue for years to come.

And when it comes to those modules, where they are assembled, will they be built up sans the needed components and have them added when they come in later (sort of like adding a module to a vehicle) or will they have the lines sit entirely idle till all the parts in? While there are inherent inefficiencies of the former, I suspect there is a good chance they may choose that route to minimize time when the missing components become available.

BroncoMax21

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awaiting Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I own an $11 soldering iron from Amazon. I'm ready.

Sponsored

Sooner

Base
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 F100, 56 CJ5, 11 F250, 17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Other than clarifying some language, I don't think a lay persons using technically incorrect terms doesn't invalidate the concern about product not being complete for what they ordered, nor does it mean their concerns about reliability is unfounded.

Yes, it won't be techs at dealers soldering in chips, they will plug in modules. There are all sorts of shortcomings that can be introduced at the dealer by a tech which is likely under some time pressure. Things from ESD, application of dialectic grease, cleanliness, and proper torquing of fasteners for mounting and chassis connections. It is possible for it to be done right but it is possible for there to be shortcuts cause it is likey it won't be an issue for years to come.

And when it comes to those modules, where they are assembled, will they be built up sans the needed components and have them added when they come in later (sort of like adding a module to a vehicle) or will they have the lines sit entirely idle till all the parts in? While there are inherent inefficiencies of the former, I suspect there is a good chance they may choose that route to minimize time when the missing components become available.
Ford Tec’s are better trained than assembly line workers.

Winger57

Black Diamond
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LibertyDiesel,F450,88Ranger, 80Pinto, 65GT Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You could just picture technicians in lil white lab coats with tweezers and chips…. Like out of a 80s Jethro Tull Video! 😂

ArrickSports

Black Diamond
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Chevy HHR
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This is a great point. It’s not a singular chip that will be missing, it’s an entire module. Understanding that point it makes me think the most common places to reduce those will be in the auto start modules, heated seat and steering wheel modules. Maybe the 110v inverter
Another one that might be added to that could be a rear window defrost module. I'm not certain it's on its own circuit but that might explain why there are quite a few hard tops sitting over at MAP.

JeffL

Base
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye / 2023 Base SAS
Your Bronco Model
Base
so how do missing modules not effect the CEL? if the CEL is on the vehicle won't pass my state inspection which i thought would be a big deal?

NevadaDesertExploration

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You sir are far too knowledgeable in module manufacturing. With this logical explanation of chips and Module production I can see the media standing out front of your house demanding a retraction 😂

62DAFA8C-2A73-4881-8BD4-7EAE736856CD.jpeg

Sponsored

bronK1TT

Outer Banks
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium w/ Performance Pack
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Perfect, I like nor need any of that crap, and my BD just has emergency braking, so delete that and I'm good. Send it!
I'd be willing to say the same, but living in MI that emergency braking is saving me a few hundred on car insurance. I'm curious if modules matter as long as the feature is on the window sticker, and what missing modules will mean for resale. If not everyone gets their modules installed that are missing will it lead to values diminishing across the board because we're missing AEB or heated seats etc?

OP
OP
North7

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

It would take more time to hand solder "some" components after the circuit boards have been run through the factory automation assembly process. First, they would have to reprogram the pick & place machines to leave out the missing components. Second, all of the normal test steps, after first stage assembly, could not be run on non-functional units.

If they did go this route, the time consumed by hand soldering in a few components and then running all the units back through the test stages would take 3-5 times longer then just waiting for the components to come in and be run through the full normal automated assembly and test process.

We have a saying for this, "you want it bad, you get it bad".

CowboyKid

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 4DR
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Disclaimer: I am no engineer and know nothing about the salvage market. But: Roughly 6 million crashes per year. Roughly 10-15% of them are totaled. That means there should be salvageable modules and chips inside modules in over 600K cars per year. Many of them may be too old, but that's still a lot of chips. Cost to salvage and repurpose them may be high. But are wrecks a resource?

The Memedalorian

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No Chevys
Your Bronco Model
Base
You could just picture technicians in lil white lab coats with tweezers and chips…. Like out of a 80s Jethro Tull Video! 😂
Like that scene at the end of Innerspace when the guy just grabs the chip out of the robot's hand and jams it into the machine.

Disclaimer: I am no engineer and know nothing about the salvage market. But: Roughly 6 million crashes per year. Roughly 10-15% of them are totaled. That means there should be salvageable modules and chips inside modules in over 600K cars per year. Many of them may be too old, but that's still a lot of chips. Cost to salvage and repurpose them may be high. But are wrecks a resource?
A friend told me recently that a now retired Ford employee told him this was already happening.

Iron Oxide

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Slave 1
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Oh, I'd love to see the B6G reaction to Ford using salvage parts to build Broncos . LOL.
Ha, yeah, I'm sure NHTSA and insurance companies would be absolutely thrilled about a cumbersome, complicated, and risky service + parts acquisition just so people can get their trucks faster using salvage. /s

"Hey, how's that new Bronco?"
"Define 'new'..."
Sponsored