Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Isuzu Trooper
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm still processing everything, and this is not the post I was hoping to share. I had meticulously planned my first camping road trip with my dog and Bronco. We were having the time of our lives, and he was such a strong, healthy, great dog. Everyone we encountered love saying hi to him. At 8.5 short years of living together, we had so many firsts on this trip.

Unfortunately on our 2nd to last night on the trip when we arrived at our motel, Thor suddenly became very ill. I thought he may have been motion sickness, as we had a rough day of driving in blizzard conditions. He had a rough night, struggling to keep down water, with no appetite and desire to go on walks. I extended our stay at the motel so he could rest, and by morning with no progress I was searching for nearby vets for urgent care. His stomach flipped (apparently common for larger chested dogs, I had never heard of), and his spleen was enlarged, amongst a nasty fever. They were shocked he was hanging in there as well as he did. He was such a tough dog. How quickly and unexpectedly everything had turned. I was not prepared to say goodbye, and have not been well.

He was my soulmate, and we were never separated. I adored him since I had him, and dedicated my life to making his the best. I am lucky to have so many wonderful memories with Thor, truly a special dog.

With that, I'd like to share some photos of our trip. It was about 3,500 miles from Austin, TX, up Big Sur, and back. The Bronco performed phenomenally, and my lifetime gas mileage went up almost 2.5 mpg (living in the city has equated low smiles per gallon).

Ford Bronco Epic road trip, but had to say goodbye to my German Shepherd before we made it home First Day Lunch

Ford Bronco Epic road trip, but had to say goodbye to my German Shepherd before we made it home Welcome to Texas

Ford Bronco Epic road trip, but had to say goodbye to my German Shepherd before we made it home Hidden Bronco

Ford Bronco Epic road trip, but had to say goodbye to my German Shepherd before we made it home Tent Na

Ford Bronco Epic road trip, but had to say goodbye to my German Shepherd before we made it home Bronco

Ford Bronco Epic road trip, but had to say goodbye to my German Shepherd before we made it home Camptsite Hangin

Ford Bronco Epic road trip, but had to say goodbye to my German Shepherd before we made it home BLM Near Tuscon

Ford Bronco Epic road trip, but had to say goodbye to my German Shepherd before we made it home Thor sizes up Saguaro

Ford Bronco Epic road trip, but had to say goodbye to my German Shepherd before we made it home Hidden Bronco 2

Desert Night Sky.jpg

Joshua Tree.jpg

Jumbo Rocks.jpg

Joshua Tree Walk.jpg

Jumbo Rocks Night.jpg

Jumbo Rocks Night 2.jpg

Summerland Beach.jpg

Big Sur.jpg

Kirk Creek Camp.jpg

Camp Lookout.jpg

Bunny Saga.jpg

Kirk Creek Sunset.jpg

Kirk Creek Sunrise.jpg

Green Valley.jpg

Gas Stop.jpg

Route 66 Needles.jpg

Locomotive Park.jpg

Sunset Crater Dispersed.jpg

Dispersed Camp.jpg

Forest Road.jpg

Flagstaff Motel.jpg

Snow Munching.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I'm still processing everything, and this is not the post I was hoping to share. I had meticulously planned my first camping road trip with my dog and Bronco. We were having the time of our lives, and he was such a strong, healthy, great dog. Everyone we encountered love saying hi to him. At 8.5 short years of living together, we had so many firsts on this trip.

Unfortunately on our 2nd to last night on the trip when we arrived at our motel, Thor suddenly became very ill. I thought he may have been motion sickness, as we had a rough day of driving in blizzard conditions. He had a rough night, struggling to keep down water, with no appetite and desire to go on walks. I extended our stay at the motel so he could rest, and by morning with no progress I was searching for nearby vets for urgent care. His stomach flipped (apparently common for larger chested dogs, I had never heard of), and his spleen was enlarged, amongst a nasty fever. They were shocked he was hanging in there as well as he did. He was such a tough dog. How quickly and unexpectedly everything had turned. I was not prepared to say goodbye, and have not been well.

He was my soulmate, and we were never separated. I adored him since I had him, and dedicated my life to making his the best. I am lucky to have so many wonderful memories with Thor, truly a special dog.

With that, I'd like to share some photos and videos of our trip. It was about 3,500 miles from Austin, TX, up Big Sur, and back. The Bronco performed phenomenally, and my lifetime gas mileage went up almost 2.5 mpg (living in the city has equated low smiles per gallon).

First Day Lunch.jpg

Welcome to Texas.jpg

Hidden Bronco.jpg

Tent Nap.jpg

Bronco.jpg

Camptsite Hanging.jpg

BLM Near Tuscon.jpg

Thor sizes up Saguaro.jpg

Hidden Bronco 2.jpg
We are so sorry to hear about your sweet Thor, may his adventures continue in doggy heaven!

DougF

Badlands
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

With that, I'd like to share some photos and videos of our trip. It was about 3,500 miles from Austin, TX, up Big Sur, and back. The Bronco performed phenomenally, and my lifetime gas mileage went up almost 2.5 mpg (living in the city has equated low smiles per gallon).

Ford Bronco Epic road trip, but had to say goodbye to my German Shepherd before we made it home Snow Munchin

Ford Bronco Epic road trip, but had to say goodbye to my German Shepherd before we made it home Snow Munchin

I’m so sorry for your loss. I know the bond between a person and their dog. Im sure you have a lot of great memories.

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Super sorry for your loss. Our pets/best friends are hard to say goodbye to...

Sponsored

Jwells104

Wildtrak
First Name
Jameson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thoughts and prayers bud. Amazing that y'all had one last big adventure and no doubt you gave him the best life a dog could ask for.

I am in Austin too. Beers on me to celebrate Thor’s life.

RC Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '97 Geo Tracker
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So sorry for your loss… that’s really awful to deal with

I just recently got to have my parents German shepherd join us for a trip across southwest Utah and back through Colorado. She struggled a bit, but having read this… got me in my feels a bit man

Hopefully you still had some fun yourself and can enjoy the memories you two had together

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm really sorry for your loss. I can't even imagine how difficult that must have been, being it was so unexpected.

I'm confident that he spent this trip having an amazing time and leaving so many positive memories with you. Although it's never easy to say goodbye, remember all the great times you've had together over the past 8.5 years together. Just like he had such a positive impact on your life, you would have had the same on his, and that's something to never forget.

I came across this online a few years back and saved it, and share it when I can - It's an important message to remember.

Ford Bronco Epic road trip, but had to say goodbye to my German Shepherd before we made it home IMG_0414.JPG

Sponsored

Skwatch

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wildtrak, 22 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So sorry for your loss...what an amazing journey you had with him...I am sure his wish was to be with you and I am sure he would have wanted it no other way.

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm so sorry for your loss. Bloat & torsion are always a concern for the breeds I tend to own. Previously a Boxer & now a Doberman. Those deep chested breeds always increase the risk. My father in law also lost a German Shepherd to this as well. You can do everything right and it still just happens sometimes.

I hope you find some comfort in the life you have provided for your pal. It is obvious that his life was exceptional with you. His last adventure was a very memorable one. I hope you find some peace in that.

TEAMSLO

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
23' Bronco 2.7 4d Oxford White & 22' JLURD
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Damn brother, this one got a couple of tears from me. I bet Thor is up in dog heaven looking down saying, its ok, I'm good up here.

I was out of the country a few years ago and got the message that Moose, my akita had to be put down while I was away. Something I will never forget as I wasn't able to be there with him when he needed me most.
Sponsored