Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Bit of a story here so bear with me...

Spent the holiday week vacationing in Florida visiting family, as we often do. Drove from NJ to Florida in a 2010 Expedition with 210k+ miles. I'm a big fan of preventative maintenance and regularly get 200k+ miles out of my vehicles so I wasn't concerned. Just did a major overhaul on the truck ~ 3 years ago which included new control arms, axles, pivot points, rubber, etc. on the entire vehicle. Also regeared to 4.10s during that refresh, installing a TrueTrac in the rear and Ox locker in the front. This matters in a moment.

We get to grandma's house, which is miles outside of Gainesville in the middle of trees and not much else. We unpack the truck and the wife drives into town to get food and whatnot while the kids play with grandma and I take a nap. We drive straight through the night on these trips so I was a bit tired.

The wife gets back, wakes me up, and tells me the truck is broken. My phone was in the truck with her, which she realized when she tried calling me, and she had nobody else's number at the house. The front locker decided to lock up for some reason so the truck was fighting any attempt to turn. I take a look and confirm the symptoms, though the IWE system should have left the wheels unconnected from the front axles regardless.

Jump ahead a few hours and I find the IWE solenoid failed, which caused the hubs to think the truck was in 4wd. I bypass the solenoid so the vacuum system disconnects the hubs and the truck is drivable again. Happy with the result, I clean up my tools and get things put away. As I'm rolling up the windows the driver's window falls into the door. *sigh* I tape the window in place as I'm not replacing a window regulator while on the road. (pic below taken in Cocoa Beach, where we went after visiting family)

PXL_20240404_225801189.jpg

My vehicles typically let me know when they're done, and a failing vacuum system combined with a fair amount of body rot thanks to road salt tells me the truck's on its last road trip. I was planning on replacing it in 2025 but it seemed to have other plans.

The next morning I get a price drop email from AutoTrader on a truck I'd been watching. (I've been watching nationwide pricing as an active spectator sport) The dealership's kind of on our way home. It seems too perfect. I called Monday and they won't hold the truck until Friday but will keep me in the loop throughout the week. They stay in touch, but jump ahead to Thursday afternoon and I get another price drop email on the same truck. I call, they take my deposit, get the paperwork going, and know that I'm driving from Cocoa Beach Friday morning to their dealership in NC.

I and the kids enjoyed a rocket launch from the beach at 5:12am Friday and we all hit the road by 6am.

PXL_20240405_091254393.jpg

(The launch was mind blowing. It was clear enough to see stage separation and watch stage 2 fly far enough to follow the curvature of the Earth.)

Traffic like crazy but we make it to the dealership by 5:15pm. Everything about the truck is exactly as expected so I sign on the line, we stay in a hotel overnight about an hour closer to I-95, and the wife and I drive home 2 vehicles the next day. The kids rode in the Expedition as they didn't like the soft top noise from the previous evening. I'll address that in time.
PXL_20240405_232426691.MP.jpg

(I'm entirely unaffiliated but Autopark Honda in Cary, NC was excellent to buy from.)

2021 Badlands, manual transmission, lux, towing, proper color, the right wheels, etc.

I don't know if I'll ever understand all the tech in this truck but the automatic high beams are uncannily intelligent. The whole vehicle is light years ahead of 17yo me's 1984 Bronco.

Anyway, this is the most expensive vacation souvenir I've ever purchased and I'm thrilled to have it in my driveway today. Been on this forum for a little while now but as of Friday I can actually justify being here.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading. I'm a bit giddy and my wife's tired of hearing about the truck so I had to share with someone somewhere that might appreciate it. :)
Wow that's a very impressive souvenir. Congrats on the new ride!
Sponsored

JarheadE5

Black Diamond
First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Very nice color! I would have failed as a mechanic. Nice story. Best part is you are enjoying your family !!!

Rspayde

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 C/O Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You picked the best color that has ever and will ever exist for the Bronco.

I was captain keep a car alive there for a while but all it takes is getting stranded on a trip one time to change my outlook on cars forever. Still have that itch to buy a beater just to keep the miles off the Bronco but it is just to damn enjoyable to drive.

huey

Badlands
First Name
kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI VW EOS GMC Envoy Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

congrats on the new ride!
good to hear the ole wip got you home safely

Noremac

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Congrats on the souvenir. It is one that is highly unlikely to forget any time soon. I had a similar experience with trading in a 2012 f150 on a silverado many years ago. the ford about got me ran over by a semi, so i pulled into a dealership 30 minutes from my destination and traded it in on the spot. 3 weeks later, i got the recall notice for the failing transmission.....

And the bronco is a truck-based vehicle, so "truck" is perfectly fine.

Sponsored

Nanook

Wildtrak
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, Bronco, Galaxie, Ducati Streetfighter V4S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Get the Dirty Dog headliner ASAP. You will not believe how much it quiets down the road noise!

OP
OP
mjp2

mjp2

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Get the Dirty Dog headliner ASAP. You will not believe how much it quiets down the road noise!
Everything I read points me in that direction. We have a road trip to Acadia planned for the end of August so I'll get it some time this Summer and test it out with the family. If they approve we'll take the Bronco, otherwise we're riding in my wife's Explorer Sport.

Really can't lose either way but I definitely enjoy the Bronco more :)

Kmautah

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 Lariat, Tesla Model 3, MB Sprinter Van (170)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm a bit giddy and my wife's tired of hearing about the truck so I had to share with someone somewhere that might appreciate it. :)
Well said. All my wife knows about this “Internet forum” is that it results in Amazon packages on our doorstep, followed by me in the garage for a couple hours, the inevitable trip to Ace, then me telling her about how the Bronco can now do (fill in the blank function or accessory that she cares nothing about). I’m glad most of us here share in the excitement of building your own 4 tire inflation system, or the intricacies of roof rack details 🙂.

OP
OP
mjp2

mjp2

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well said. All my wife knows about this “Internet forum” is that it results in Amazon packages on our doorstep, followed by me in the garage for a couple hours, the inevitable trip to Ace, then me telling her about how the Bronco can now do (fill in the blank function or accessory that she cares nothing about). I’m glad most of us here share in the excitement of building your own 4 tire inflation system, or the intricacies of roof rack details 🙂.
When my wife and I first met I was in the middle of a Toyota Tacoma desert race truck build. She stuck with me through those years and can, likely against her will, explain better than 99.9% of the world how reservoir bypass shocks work. She's beyond done listening to my vehicular ramblings lol

It was actually through the Tacoma build and racing that I met @bronc5o3 lifetimes ago. Funny how things come back around :)

Wild Horses 4x4

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wildhorses4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
1976 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Spent the holiday week vacationing in Florida visiting family, as we often do. Drove from NJ to Florida in a 2010 Expedition with 210k+ miles. I'm a big fan of preventative maintenance and regularly get 200k+ miles out of my vehicles so I wasn't concerned. Just did a major overhaul on the truck ~ 3 years ago which included new control arms, axles, pivot points, rubber, etc. on the entire vehicle. Also regeared to 4.10s during that refresh, installing a TrueTrac in the rear and Ox locker in the front. This matters in a moment.

We get to grandma's house, which is miles outside of Gainesville in the middle of trees and not much else. We unpack the truck and the wife drives into town to get food and whatnot while the kids play with grandma and I take a nap. We drive straight through the night on these trips so I was a bit tired.

The wife gets back, wakes me up, and tells me the truck is broken. My phone was in the truck with her, which she realized when she tried calling me, and she had nobody else's number at the house. The front locker decided to lock up for some reason so the truck was fighting any attempt to turn. I take a look and confirm the symptoms, though the IWE system should have left the wheels unconnected from the front axles regardless.

Jump ahead a few hours and I find the IWE solenoid failed, which caused the hubs to think the truck was in 4wd. I bypass the solenoid so the vacuum system disconnects the hubs and the truck is drivable again. Happy with the result, I clean up my tools and get things put away. As I'm rolling up the windows the driver's window falls into the door. *sigh* I tape the window in place as I'm not replacing a window regulator while on the road. (pic below taken in Cocoa Beach, where we went after visiting family)

PXL_20240404_225801189.jpg

My vehicles typically let me know when they're done, and a failing vacuum system combined with a fair amount of body rot thanks to road salt tells me the truck's on its last road trip. I was planning on replacing it in 2025 but it seemed to have other plans.

The next morning I get a price drop email from AutoTrader on a truck I'd been watching. (I've been watching nationwide pricing as an active spectator sport) The dealership's kind of on our way home. It seems too perfect. I called Monday and they won't hold the truck until Friday but will keep me in the loop throughout the week. They stay in touch, but jump ahead to Thursday afternoon and I get another price drop email on the same truck. I call, they take my deposit, get the paperwork going, and know that I'm driving from Cocoa Beach Friday morning to their dealership in NC.

I and the kids enjoyed a rocket launch from the beach at 5:12am Friday and we all hit the road by 6am.

PXL_20240405_091254393.jpg

(The launch was mind blowing. It was clear enough to see stage separation and watch stage 2 fly far enough to follow the curvature of the Earth.)

Traffic like crazy but we make it to the dealership by 5:15pm. Everything about the truck is exactly as expected so I sign on the line, we stay in a hotel overnight about an hour closer to I-95, and the wife and I drive home 2 vehicles the next day. The kids rode in the Expedition as they didn't like the soft top noise from the previous evening. I'll address that in time.
PXL_20240405_232426691.MP.jpg

(I'm entirely unaffiliated but Autopark Honda in Cary, NC was excellent to buy from.)

2021 Badlands, manual transmission, lux, towing, proper color, the right wheels, etc.

I don't know if I'll ever understand all the tech in this truck but the automatic high beams are uncannily intelligent. The whole vehicle is light years ahead of 17yo me's 1984 Bronco.

Anyway, this is the most expensive vacation souvenir I've ever purchased and I'm thrilled to have it in my driveway today. Been on this forum for a little while now but as of Friday I can actually justify being here.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading. I'm a bit giddy and my wife's tired of hearing about the truck so I had to share with someone somewhere that might appreciate it. :)
Congrats on the new 2021 Badlands! Sounds like an adventure from start to finish!

Sponsored
OP
OP
mjp2

mjp2

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Congrats on the new 2021 Badlands! Sounds like an adventure from start to finish!
Honestly I'm fortunate to have a family that's adaptable to my nonsense. Few things ever go as planned and thankfully they roll with it :)

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

<snipped>

Great story, and great choice. Thanks for sharing.

My similarly-equipped rig (High package not Lux) in its preferred environment:

IMG_6693.jpeg

DBX2

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco; '23 F150 reg cab 5.0, custom interior
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Congrats on the new ride (y)
Been there with expensive but memorable vacation souvenirs!
And am a huge Expedition fan. Congratulations for a life well worn with the Expe and your new ride!!

OP
OP
mjp2

mjp2

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Been there with expensive but memorable vacation souvenirs!
And am a huge Expedition fan. Congratulations for a life well worn with the Expe and your new ride!!
That Expedition is on 35" tires, 2019 Raptor wheels, has all the right updates, and looks properly proportioned. I did it up with the expectation of keeping it indefinitely but, as we all know, life likes throwing curveballs. Still, it owes me nothing. It's been a great truck.
Sponsored