Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

FWIW, I read somewhere here on the forum that you may need to drop the top a few inches above the latches and use the force of gravity to get the latches to close securely, similar to how you close the hood with the force of gravity rather than pressing it closed and potentially bending the hood. I can personally confirm that this technique works well for the hood. Unfortunately, I cannot confirm that it works for the soft top latches, because I still havenā€™t opened my soft top all the way, due to the cold weather.
The latches up front are no problem. Itā€™s the one behind the drivers seat (drivers side) that you press the lever to fold it all the way back. When I go to put the roof back up, I get to this point and it takes some effort to get it to latch. But once it does, the two latches at the front are fine.
Sponsored

DubC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2016 F150, 2022 Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The latches up front are no problem. Itā€™s the one behind the drivers seat (drivers side) that you press the lever to fold it all the way back. When I go to put the roof back up, I get to this point and it takes some effort to get it to latch. But once it does, the two latches at the front are fine.
Same with mine. Iā€™m almost hanging on it to get it to latch.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah, I was referring to dropping the top and using the force of gravity to latch the middle latches between the front and back seats. The front latches are easy.

OP
OP
604Bronco

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Same with mine. Iā€™m almost hanging on it to get it to latch.
Glad to hear Iā€™m not alone! I did the @Razorbak86 trick of dropping it from a bit of a distance and it definitely helped.

Sponsored

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Glad to hear Iā€™m not alone! I did the @Razorbak86 trick of dropping it from a bit of a distance and it definitely helped.
Watch Sean push the top back and drop it onto the middle latchesā€¦

ElJeffe

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeff.henshaw.org
Vehicle(s)
BMW R1250RT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Seanā€™s approach Might help in some cases, but for my Badlands it took a lot of force to get it to latch. I had to basically hang off the frame of the soft top and force the lever to latch under the pin.

Kimberley

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I had read this thread a while back https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/soft-top-latch-issue.30901/#:~:text=Soft top latch issue.

I did fold my top briefly a couple weeks ago to make sure it worked and to see if it was easy enough for me to do without a second person. When I flipped it back to that position I think you are talking about I did basically "drop" it into that position and it clicked in on it's own. I will be keeping an eye on it though and testing more as it warms up.

1Five1 Garage

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend, F350, 4Runner, 52 Ford F1 RatRod
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

FWIW, I read somewhere here on the forum that you may need to drop the top a few inches above the latches and use the force of gravity to get the latches to close securely, similar to how you close the hood with the force of gravity rather than pressing it closed and potentially bending the hood. I can personally confirm that this technique works well for the hood. Unfortunately, I cannot confirm that it works for the soft top latches, because I still havenā€™t opened my soft top all the way, due to the cold weather.
I can confirm that. We drop it a few inches and it will latch. Just like the hood.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Seanā€™s approach Might help in some cases, but for my Badlands it took a lot of force to get it to latch. I had to basically hang off the frame of the soft top and force the lever to latch under the pin.
Jeff, your soft top frame may have been bumped, tweaked, twisted, or blown open unintentionally and may need to be adjusted. Sometimes this happens at the factory, in transit, at the dealership, after delivery to the owner, during inclement weather with very high winds, or simply entering/exiting a garage during normal commuting.

Although gravitational force may work for a properly aligned hood or soft top, if either is out of alignment, the latches wonā€™t close properly until the alignment issues are corrected.

On the hood, there are rear bolts at the hinges, a latch at the front center, and bump stops under each front corner that need to work together and can be adjusted to get a proper latch. On the soft top, there are similar points on the frame, including the mounting bolts, cross bars, and latches that need to work together and may need to be adjusted to get a proper latch.

Sometimes with a folding mechanism like a hood, door, swing gate, tailgate, or soft top, a slightly bent or twisted component not readily apparent to the untrained eye could push the latching points out of alignment. You may be able to troubleshoot this yourself, if you are mechanically inclined, or you may want to take it to a dealer for help. Body shops deal with alignment issues like these every day during accident repairs.

Sponsored

Kimberley

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Okay so it is a bit warmer today (as in my face doesn't hurt....yet)
Ford Bronco Factory Soft Top Questions 1642960712586

So I tried taking a video of me dropping the roof one handed while filming in the other and it catches. I will admit it is a more forceful drop (almost a push up one handed and let drop while inside the rig holding my phone in the other hand.)
I have the straps too, they were in the tool kit with the plastic wrap still on.

OP
OP
604Bronco

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Okay so it is a bit warmer today (as in my face doesn't hurt....yet)
Ford Bronco Factory Soft Top Questions C98246F9-55BC-43D3-82A3-73A6E58A0277

So I tried taking a video of me dropping the roof one handed while filming in the other and it catches. I will admit it is a more forceful drop (almost a push up one handed and let drop while inside the rig holding my phone in the other hand.)
I have the straps too, they were in the tool kit with the plastic wrap still on.
Thanks for being a trooper! This is helpful :)

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thanks! My salespersons going to look into it tomorrow for me. Thankfully itā€™s still Winter and these arenā€™t an urgent thing right now.

Anybody have feedback on my second question? Maybe folks who live somewhere nice and warm who have had their soft top up & down?
I live in the south, and I'll get back with you on that in about 2 or 3 years brother. On...wait.... that may be to soon. But, I'll get back with ya for sure. :cool: :p

Enjoy that Bronco enough for the both of us my friend. (y)

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The latches up front are no problem... it takes some effort to get it to latch. But once it does, the two latches at the front are fine.
The front latches are easy.
I literally had to laugh out loud at this! Our front latches are a royal pain in the ass. I have to use a fairly hard smack with the heel of my hand to get them to close. My wife, who has had issues with her wrists, canā€™t even get the driverā€™s side to latch. (I love how Sean, in the video above, just uses his thumb to flick it closed like itā€™s nothing, LOL)

I took the latch assembly apart to see if I could tweak the adjustment, but the way itā€™s designed, thereā€™s not much you can do. It seems like the J-hook on ours is just bent too tightly. Iā€™m thinking of fabricating a tool to help my wife lever these things closedā€¦

Watch Sean push the top back and drop it onto the middle latchesā€¦
Apparently, there are some real issues with quality control and consistency between vehicles. Weā€™ve had our top all the way back a couple of times now, and when you go to close up the main portion it latches in that middle area just fine, but it sure doesnā€™t just spring up from the tailgate with one hand like Sean demonstrates. I realize heā€™s like 6ā€™ 6ā€ and Mr. Muscles, but come on. When we pop the rear latch to release the top upward, it binds up and you canā€™t just lift it up from the left side like that. We have to shuffle around behind the vehicle and lift it evenly from the rear (or two people have to do it). Maybe after a few cycles, it will free up and move as easily as Seanā€™sā€¦

OP
OP
604Bronco

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I literally had to laugh out loud at this! Our front latches are a royal pain in the ass. I have to use a fairly hard smack with the heel of my hand to get them to close. My wife, who has had issues with her wrists, canā€™t even get the driverā€™s side to latch. (I love how Sean, in the video above, just uses his thumb to flick it closed like itā€™s nothing, LOL)

I took the latch assembly apart to see if I could tweak the adjustment, but the way itā€™s designed, thereā€™s not much you can do. It seems like the J-hook on ours is just bent too tightly. Iā€™m thinking of fabricating a tool to help my wife lever these things closedā€¦

Apparently, there are some real issues with quality control and consistency between vehicles. Weā€™ve had our top all the way back a couple of times now, and when you go to close up the main portion it latches in that middle area just fine, but it sure doesnā€™t just spring up from the tailgate with one hand like Sean demonstrates. I realize heā€™s like 6ā€™ 6ā€ and Mr. Muscles, but come on. When we pop the rear latch to release the top upward, it binds up and you canā€™t just lift it up from the left side like that. We have to shuffle around behind the vehicle and lift it evenly from the rear (or two people have to do it). Maybe after a few cycles, it will free up and move as easily as Seanā€™sā€¦
Iā€™d take it in to Ford to look at your latches. Thereā€™s no way the front ones should be that difficult. The only time they were like that for me, was when that latch in the middle didnā€™t hook. Then the front ones were near impossible - the good thing is thatā€™s my red flag to know something isnā€™t connected properly and to fix it.
Sponsored

Last edited: