cyclopsdiver

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 3500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yes they do need gears, he said they will be installed after the fab is done, and the axle is removed again to be powder coated.

Ok I don’t know much about solid front axles but don’t they need gears to work?
so it’s a front axle from a 2008 super duty? .
Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yes they do need gears, he said they will be installed after the fab is done, and the axle is removed again to be powder coated.
Probably also meant a different set of gears aswell.

KyleQ

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8 Broncos!
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Probably also meant a different set of gears aswell.
Yeah, typically the come with 3.55's which, at face value, won't be ideal for a crawler on 40's, but I've never looked at final drive ratio's with the 10 speed and this t-case, but I assume they will need to be in the high 4's or low 5's.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yeah, typically the come with 3.55's which, at face value, won't be ideal for a crawler on 40's, but I've never looked at final drive ratio's with the 10 speed and this t-case, but I assume they will need to be in the high 4's or low 5's.
Oh no they got the auto? Get ready for heat issues keeping those tires turning. Atleast it will be tall enough to check for leaks:ROFLMAO:

portland_lol

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Pinto
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
remember on american idol when the singer was so bad big randy would put a piece of paper in front of his face to conceal from everyone that he was laughing his ass off.

when i see and drive by a car like this i literally lmao without any coverings

Last edited:

Sponsored

KyleQ

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8 Broncos!
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Oh no they got the auto? Get ready for heat issues keeping those tires turning. Atleast it will be tall enough to check for leaks:ROFLMAO:
Why would there be extra heat from turning larger tires that are properly compensated for with gearing?

KyleQ

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8 Broncos!
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
remember on american idol when the singer was so bad big randy would put a piece of paper in front of his face to conceal from everyone hat he was laughing his ass off.

when i see and drive by a car like this i literally lmao without any coverings
I also felt bad for the Jeep Rubicon with light bars, winch, bigger tires and aftermarket bumpers in time square. Different strokes for different folks.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Why would there be extra heat from turning larger tires that are properly compensated for with gearing?
Gears help with diameter but load is load. They dont do anything for the actual weight increase. Which is more to pull around. That will add load, and that will add heat. Thats what autos run on is hot fluid desperately trying not to boil.

KyleQ

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8 Broncos!
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Gears help with diameter but load is load. They dont do anything for the actual weight increase. Which is more to pull around. That will add load, and that will add heat. Thats what autos run on is hot fluid desperately trying not to boil.
Gears provide mechanical advantage which reduces load, towing capacity is reduced when adding weight. Putting bigger tires on a vehicle isn't going to make it overheat especially when geared. 37's are not that far from 40's, you're arguing to argue.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Gears provide mechanical advantage which reduces load, towing capacity is reduced when adding weight. Putting bigger tires on a vehicle isn't going to make it overheat especially when geared. 37's are not that far from 40's, you're arguing to argue.
Putting heavier, not bigger(which is what the gears are for) tires on increases overall load. More to move around. Auto transmissions get hot. over time bigger tires will make it hotter. Im definitely not saying dont run 40s, well I would say why did they stop at 40s when 44s are right there. But definitely adding a bigger trans cooler is a must do and eventually a better converter or whatever these newer trans have between them and the power. Or a manual swap obviously. If its sooo hard to drive one solid axles and big tires as so many claim, then shifting gears isnt much worse.

Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Do people realize that there is a market for Jeep/Suzuki/Escalade etc skins, hoods and grills for buggies, which are put together and Frankensteined with random brand parts. People make their GM drivetrain buggy look like a Toyota or Jeep....because they want to and like the look. So why solid axle a Bronco instead of buying a Jeep? Same reason you want to buy a stock Bronco instead of a Jeep. Because it's different, and you like how it looks.
It's also VERY hard to rock crawl say an FSB, even on 43's and mogs. Anyone can wheel a purpose built buggy. Some like the challenge.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
And we Frankenstein vehicles because its fun, different and because you can!
Exactly. Did I really need a wood platform to clean out my pole barn gutters?
Maybe not, but it took a couple hours, wood was left over from pole barn build, I have
a bobcat with forks to put it up and take it down. Those of us that can slap this kind of
stuff together, literally in hours, are usually bored with what many think is "crazy".

20201024_101745.jpg

Deleted member 19381

Maybe he just couldn't live without "death-wobble" and this is his way to get it back.

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Haha, the amount of namby-pampyness in here is hilarious.

I come from the hard core midwest wheeling scene, we beat on our junk harder than most simply because we have to with the terrain we have to play with. SAS has always meant a solid axle swap, always will - you're going to get confusion using SAS describing a package talking to anyone else from any other community, but do what you want.

There are two things that everyone with any interest in the 4x4 community will throw at the Bronco non-stop. The IFS and lack of V8, everyone here should know that by now, so why is it any surprise that we are already seeing a SAS performed on a 21'? Ford pushed this Bronco in a direction they are familiar with, which is Baja (like it or not) so we are stuck with IFS out of the box. This is fine for most as most will never use more than 80% of the Bronco's capability and simply will never understand why people modify vehicles the way they do. What that equates to is road manners and that is one of the main complaints of a Jeep, so that is why we get what we got, and I'm fine with that.

That being said, there is no reason why any of the GOAT modes or hero switches wouldn't do what they are designed to do. 100% that is a SuperDuty coil spring D60 under that Bronco, putting anything else there would be dumb, as you get 1550 steer joints, ABS and unlimited aftermarket support with that axle. That takes care of any of the computer controlled sophistication going on up front, weather it be air or electric locked. The rear is probably the matching SD axle with an e-locker which I see no reason why controlling that axle would be any different than the stock axle meaning that the trail turn assist would still function as well. The idea of having a family rock crawler on 40's with a turbocharged 10 speed drivetrain with all the creature/technological advancements sounds super awesome.

My wife has our first 4th gen Bronco on order and I'll order one in a few years once I'm done with a few other projects I've got all planned out, including a SAS on my 96' FSB that will also be getting a turbocharged drivetrain, 37's and hydro assist so I can still drive 100+ on pavement. The Bronco is something different and exciting, so expect to see all sorts of wild builds doing things you wouldn't expect to see. Having been to SEMA I've seen to good and the ugly, and I get why some people do what they do - different strokes for different folks. At a minimum we are all here for the appreciation of the Bronco, so let's not forget that.
I get your point. Must have a grip of money to burn to do it to a brand new Bronco. To your Super 60 point, no way a stock Super 60 axle will go into a 2021 Bronco, it is way too wide. The Super 60 came in F450/550 and has the much bigger 1550 axle joints. So, to get a reasonable width (pic looks reasonable) and to get the 1550 outers would require a custom axle. Of course this can be done, but dramatically increases the cost over swapping in a stock Super Duty D60. I priced out doing Super 60 axles for my rock buggy, but with 300m shafts and joints, and it was 11k per axle just for parts with me doing all the fab work. A pair of Super 60 custom width axles with brackets and OEM joints looks like about 18k. I agree, it makes sense to do it that way, if you're going to do it. With the fab work required, and the electrical to make it all work, and the custom control arms, shocks, etc, it would be a 25-30k custom job if a shop did it. And, to your point of all the electronics working, it assumes the Bronco factory modules work with the feedback with the stock Super 60 sensors, which is possible. Since we have no info on how this job was actually done, it's all speculation, but certainly doable if you have the bucks and the motivation. Wonder where this guy lives?

Well, an edit here: I kept reading this thread and see the Instagram conversation where it was said a stock Super Duty axle was used, so all the Super 60 with 1550 axle joint speculation goes out the window. Nothing wrong with normal D60 stuff, but it's not a Super 60.

Last edited:

KyleQ

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8 Broncos!
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'
I get your point. Must have a grip of money to burn to do it to a brand new Bronco. To your Super 60 point, no way a stock Super 60 axle will go into a 2021 Bronco, it is way too wide. The Super 60 came in F450/550 and has the much bigger 1550 axle joints. So, to get a reasonable width (pic looks reasonable) and to get the 1550 outers would require a custom axle. Of course this can be done, but dramatically increases the cost over swapping in a stock Super Duty D60. I priced out doing Super 60 axles for my rock buggy, but with 300m shafts and joints, and it was 11k per axle just for parts with me doing all the fab work. A pair of Super 60 custom width axles with brackets and OEM joints looks like about 18k. I agree, it makes sense to do it that way, if you're going to do it. With the fab work required, and the electrical to make it all work, and the custom control arms, shocks, etc, it would be a 25-30k custom job if a shop did it. And, to your point of all the electronics working, it assumes the Bronco factory modules work with the feedback with the stock Super 60 sensors, which is possible. Since we have no info on how this job was actually done, it's all speculation, but certainly doable if you have the bucks and the motivation. Wonder where this guy lives?

Well, an edit here: I kept reading this thread and see the Instagram conversation where it was said a stock Super Duty axle was used, so all the Super 60 with 1550 axle joint speculation goes out the window. Nothing wrong with normal D60 stuff, but it's not a Super 60.
I didn't mean super 60, I meant SuperDuty D60, anything 05+ with 19+' axle shafts is how you get the 1550 steer joints in a 05+ housing. The SD axle with factory wheels is 1" wider than a 90's fullsize Bronco, it wouldn't take much, if anything, to get the tires to fit under the fenders.

Narrowing an axle is easy and isn't expensive, pop the c's off and shorten the tube or cut and sleeve the long side. Custom length shafts are not expensive to have made either. As for electrical it's minimal being that it's a modern axle with speed sensors, we're not talking retro fitting a KP axle. Control arms could be stock for all that matters. I can do all the work myself, the axles are stupid cheap and plentiful in my area (I can get fronts for $300 complete, the e-locker rears are ~$700) and fabricating is just time and materials.

I'm not saying I would buy a 30k+ vehicle and do this to it out of the box, I'm not looking for the spotlight, but it doesn't have to even cost 10k to do it.
Sponsored