Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Has anyone done a front axle swap yet? Going from M190 to M210? Looks like an upgrade that Ford was expecting people to do since it is in their description.

I’m curious on how hard it is to wire everything in so that you have the hero switch and then reprogram for GOAT mode integration, since it seems that it was expected.

I have a Non-SAS Black Diamond, 7-Speed coming, so looking at options to further capabilities down the road.

2D552DE0-5915-4AD1-98E2-042EE7887B2E.png

9C57BA03-3172-477C-992E-E18F3E7EE345.png
Sponsored

Bronco_joe

Black Diamond
First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Nothing has been out or available yet. Dana spicer has released a video on youtube installing theirs. They don't explain adding it to the computer though. I'm sure it won't be a problem. Just a trip to the dealer

Just_Jim

Big Bend
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Just swapped mine in and am getting a 4wd error and refusal to shift into 4H (haven't attempted 4L) due to the axle disconnect being deleted on the M210.

Hopefully someone will see this and have the right parameters to change via Forscan because I've tried a bunch and nothing's working. :mad:

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Just swapped mine in and am getting a 4wd error and refusal to shift into 4H (haven't attempted 4L) due to the axle disconnect being deleted on the M210.

Hopefully someone will see this and have the right parameters to change via Forscan because I've tried a bunch and nothing's working. :mad:
Do you still have the M190? It looks like you could fake out the AWD module by plugging the old disconnect solenoid back in and zip tying it up out of the way.

Slyder

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 KTM 1290R
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
This is one of the things I had questions about and emailed back and forth with Ford Performance.

I had been kicking around a couple Black Diamond builds and swapping the front to a M210 was a key issue with both.

The reply I got back about it is that Ford Performance is going to offer a wiring kit/adapter kit for this swap, on Broncos, and it should be up on the site in next few weeks.

I was also given a part number, but I would exercise caution since I don't personally know if it will be the actual 'final' part number.

The part number I was given ( Part# M-14489-BR ) .

The other questions I had dealt with the sever duty steering rack/ Hoss 3.0 steering rack and it's related upgrade components. The best he could give me on that is that it's 'under consideration'.

Sponsored

Sandbergo

Outer Banks
First Name
Jelani & Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rogue
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This is one of the things I had questions about and emailed back and forth with Ford Performance.

I had been kicking around a couple Black Diamond builds and swapping the front to a M210 was a key issue with both.

The reply I got back about it is that Ford Performance is going to offer a wiring kit/adapter kit for this swap, on Broncos, and it should be up on the site in next few weeks.

I was also given a part number, but I would exercise caution since I don't personally know if it will be the actual 'final' part number.

The part number I was given ( Part# M-14489-BR ) .

The other questions I had dealt with the sever duty steering rack/ Hoss 3.0 steering rack and it's related upgrade components. The best he could give me on that is that it's 'under consideration'.
Ford Bronco M210 Front Axle Swap? 1656333350223

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

System Operation

Front Drive Axle and Differential

The 7.5-inch and 8.26-inch ring gear front differential axle has 3.73, 4.27, 4.46 and 4.7 gear ratio versions.

There are three different types of front differentials available.

• Open differential with FAD - DANA M190
  • Open differential without FAD - DANA M190
  • Electronic Locking style front differential without FAD - DANA M210
The front drive axle consists of:

• DANA M190: A cast-aluminum center section
  • DANA M210: A cast-iron center section
  • Integral-type housing hypoid gear design (center of the pinion set below the centerline of the ring gear). Two opposed tapered roller bearings support the drive pinion in the axle housing
  • Pinion bearing preload that is maintained by a drive pinion collapsible spacer on the differential pinion shaft and adjusted by the pinion nut
  • A differential case, a one-piece design with 2 openings to allow for assembly of the internal components and lubricant flow. Two opposed tapered roller bearings (differential bearings) support the differential case in the axle housing.
Principles of Operation

Open Style Front Axle

The front drive axle receives rotational torque from the driveshaft. The direction of the rotation determines movement of the vehicle. The rotation enters the front drive axle through the drive pinion flange, turning the drive pinion and rotating the ring gear. The differential case houses the pinion shaft upon which the differential pinion gears ride. The pinion gears are in mesh with the differential side gears to which the axle shafts are splined. It is the unique arrangement of the differential that allows the axle shafts to be driven at different speed when needed, such as when driving around corners.

The open differential has the normal internal spider gear design that will allow a speed differential between the wheels when cornering.

DANA M190: The ring gear is welded with differential carrier assembly.

DANA M210: The ring gear is bolted with differential carrier assembly.

The front open style differential comes with and without a Front Axle Disconnect Actuator.

ELD

The front ELD is a device housed in the front axle. When activated, ELD allows both wheels on that axle to turn at the same speed providing added traction on slippery and/or off-road surfaces.

The front ELD system is operated by pressing the ELD switch in the SIMA . The SIMA is located in the center top of the instrument panel.

The front ELD is not available in Eco and Sport mode.

The ELD system consists of following components:

• ELD coil, located at the front differential
  • Front differential assembly
  • Electromagnetic dog clutch assembly
  • AWD module
  • ELD switch
The front ELD system can be activated per the chart below:

ELD Engagement/Disengagement Speeds and Availability — 4WD Vehicles

Drive Modes (4WD Modes)Maximum Engagement SpeedsAutomatic Disengagement SpeedsAutomatic Re-Engagement Speeds
4L32 km/h (20 mph) *41 km/h (25 mph)32 km/h (20 mph) *

Drive modes are selected by using G.O.A.T. (go over any terrain) modes ATCM switch located on the center switch pack.

When the operator activates the ELD , the ELD icon displays in the IPC message center. If the vehicle is driven above the disengage speed, the IPC message center no longer displays the ELD icon, alerting the operator that the ELD is disengaged. Once the vehicle speed drops below the re-engage speed, the IPC message center displays the ELD icon again. If there is a malfunction with the ELD system, a CHECK LOCKING DIFFERENTIAL message is displayed in the IPC message center, letting the operator know the ELD is not engaged.

Under certain conditions the ELD system has the ability to modulate powertrain torque output as well as system engagement/disengagement to protect internal ELD hardware.

If the electronic locking differential is selected and the indicator in the cluster is gray or turns from amber to gray while driving, one of the following has occurred:

• The vehicle speed is too high.
  • The accelerator pedal is too high during an engagement attempt.
  • Your vehicle is experiencing an anti-lock brake activation.
  • The left and right wheel speed difference is too high during an engagement attempt.
If the electronic locking differential is selected and the indicator in the cluster does not turn on, one of the following has occurred:

• The electronic locking differential is not allowed in the current drive mode and is accompanied by SELECTED LOCKING DIFFERENTIAL NOT AVAILABLE IN CURRENT DRIVE MODE in the information display.
  • The electronic locking differential is not allowed in the current 4x4 mode and is accompanied by SELECTED LOCKING DIFFERENTIAL NOT AVAILABLE IN CURRENT 4x4 MODE in the information display.
  • The system has malfunctioned and is accompanied by CHECK LOCKING DIFFERENTIAL in the information display. See your authorized dealer for assistance.
The ELD feature allows the ABS to override the engage state during special events. When this condition occurs the ELD icon turns grey on the instrument panel, dash panel switch remains amber.

The differential locks when a PWM controlled magnetic field coil located inside the differential energizes. This locks the differential side gears and creates the locked differential.

The ELD system also informs the customer when there is too much wheel slip to safely engage the ELD by displaying TO ENGAGE LOCKING DIFFERENTIAL RELEASE ACCELERATOR PEDAL message in IPC message center. When the ELD is engaged, the AWD sends PWM voltage to the ELD field coil located in the differential. This voltage is initially 98% duty cycle, and then tapers off after 30 seconds. In order for the AWD to activate the ELD , certain conditions must be met.

• ELD switch ON, on the center switch pack
  • Wheel speed information via HS-CAN communication from ABS module
  • Operating range (voltage 11.5-16 volts)
  • DTC setting range (voltage 10-15 volts)
  • Ignition in the ON position
  • TP
NOTE: The front electronic locking differential is only available in four-wheel drive low.

NOTE: The locking front differential should not be used on dry pavement.

NOTE: Locking the front differential reduces your ability to make tight turning maneuvers and creates additional resistance to steering inputs.

Component Description

AWD Module

The AWD module is the logic module that controls the front ELD .

ATCM

The ATCM contains the G.O.A.T. modes rotary dial, 2H, 4H (Four Wheel Drive High), and 4L switches. If 4WD Low (4L) is selected by either the 4WD Low (4L) switch or the G.O.A.T. (go over any terrain) mode, and the front ELD switch is pressed, the ATCM will send the front ELD request to the AWD module.

SIMA

SIMA is located on the center top of the instrument panel. SIMA contains 4-6 driver operated switches including the ELD switch. When the ELD switch is pressed, SIMA will send the request to the ATCM .

Front ELD

The ELD is a device housed in the front axle, and when activated allows both wheels on that axle to turn at the same speed. The ELD can provide additional traction should your vehicle become stuck.

The ELD operates by electromagnetically engaging a dog clutch, locking the side gear to the differential carrier, forcing the front wheels to rotate at the same speed. The ELD can be manually engaged/disengaged by the driver.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

System Operation

Front Axle Disconnect System Operation

Principles of Operation

NOTE:
Front axle disconnect is associated with open type front differential - DANA M190.

The FAD (front axle disconnect) distributes torque across the front axle halfshafts for 4WD operation when requested. It reduces the drag and wear on the differential when disengaged, as only one axle is connected to the differential in this instance. It is controlled by the AWD module.

Torque (when commanded or selected) is provided to the front wheels via the front driveshaft, front drive axle and the FAD (front axle disconnect).

When 4H or 4WD Low (4L) operation is requested, the AWD module actuates the motor to rotate the cam. When the cam rotates, it slides the dog clutch to engage with the input shaft from the differential. This action connects the front RH half shaft to the front axle, providing 4WD operation.

Component Description

Front Axle Disconnect

The FAD (front axle disconnect) assembly is located between the RH halfshaft and the front differential side gear. The FAD (front axle disconnect) assembly is located below engine oil pan and bolted to the frame. The front axle disconnect is integrated with front differential assembly with the help of housing. Front wheels receive torque via front driveshaft, front drive axle and front axle disconnect. When commanded by the AWD the front axle disconnect transfers torque from the front drive axle through the housing to the RH halfshaft, providing 4x4 functionality.

The FAD (front axle disconnect) assembly consists of the following components

• Motor
  • Reduction gear set
  • Cam
  • Sliding dog clutch assembly
    • Splined to front RH half shaft
SIMA

SIMA is located on the center top of the instrument panel. SIMA contains 4-6 driver operated switches including the ELD switch. When the ELD switch is pressed, SIMA will send the request to the ATCM .

AWD Module

AWD module controls the operation of the front axle disconnect. The AWD module is the logic module for the 4WD system. Multiple modules/system inputs are used for the 4WD system to determine the percentage of torque to be transferred to the front wheels.

Sponsored

Slyder

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 KTM 1290R
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Basically, yes.

The kit and part number referenced in my previous post is essentially to make the M210 with front locker plug and play so the front locker will be functional.

I just wish I could confirm that it's the actual part number that will be used when it becomes available, and not something like an internal 'reference' number.

I had nice discussions with him over the course of 3 months and was surprised when he gave that part number in the last correspondence. I thanked him for his time and for the information he shared. I just wish I could've gotten a bit more insight to the sever duty steering rack questions.

Just_Jim

Big Bend
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Basically, yes.

The kit and part number referenced in my previous post is essentially to make the M210 with front locker plug and play so the front locker will be functional.

I just wish I could confirm that it's the actual part number that will be used when it becomes available, and not something like an internal 'reference' number.

I had nice discussions with him over the course of 3 months and was surprised when he gave that part number in the last correspondence. I thanked him for his time and for the information he shared. I just wish I could've gotten a bit more insight to the sever duty steering rack questions.
Did you get info on which line code(s) need to be changed to get the AWD module to know it no longer has a FAD?

I sent a message Monday and have yet to hear back.

Slyder

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 KTM 1290R
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Did you get info on which line code(s) need to be changed to get the AWD module to know it no longer has a FAD?

I sent a message Monday and have yet to hear back.
I didn't get that far into questioning him. It'll be plug-n-play, from what he said, but I'd assume, until known for sure, that some code 'may' have to be changed/adjusted by forscan or a dealer.

For all we know, the plug-n-play kit could come with everything needed and no code has to be touched.

Bronco_joe

Black Diamond
First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If you dont mind, what was your total cost and parts list?

Yillbs

Outer Banks
First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I didn't get that far into questioning him. It'll be plug-n-play, from what he said, but I'd assume, until known for sure, that some code 'may' have to be changed/adjusted by forscan or a dealer.

For all we know, the plug-n-play kit could come with everything needed and no code has to be touched.
Any chance you could ask the guy you've been talking to about how we get the FAD to not be recognized after swapping the axle? It's causing dash lights, and obviously, the inability to switch into 4WD. I've been comparing the hex to the different models and they all seem to be different based on tons of various options. Perhaps he has a solution to this, even if we don't have a solution for full wire integration, we still need a way to be able to use 4WD with the swap at least until they come out with a way for better integration? As Just_Jim said, he tried to reach out and no one responded. Ford performance hung up on me when I asked about it, he told me it's not possible, but if you ask any questions beyond that to validate what they're saying, they seem to get pretty pissy.
Sponsored