Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

BTW have you seen the size of the pinion gear in these things, in person? They're already teeny-tiny. The one for my 5.13's already has me concerned, and of course the lower gear pinions are even smaller.

Yes, that is a concern of mine as well. In the past I've never wanted to go lower than 4.88s for strength, but don't have a lot of choice with the motor/transmission combo of the Bronco.
I figure if BigMeats hasn't blown his out though I'm probably fine.
Sponsored

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As it is now, I use all of 6th gear on the highway and sometimes even wish I had 7th.
😳

It's not adding up for me. 6th was only usable occasionally for me with 4.70/33s without getting into boost. With 4.70/37s I use 4th for anything below 70. I'd be interested in something closer to 6:1 if I ran 37s full time.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah we swapped to 37's at the same time. I actually had the 37's on there for about a week prior to doing the diff/gear swap. We did axle swap about a month and a half ago, I just hadn't time to edit the video until now. 37's with the 4.46 and MT was usable but not ideal. It pretty much rendered whatever usefulness 6th gear still had with the 35's, to nothing. The 5.13 gears gets it back into that sweet spot where all highway gears are once again usable, with first gear back to "just right" for taking off from a start without having to slip the clutch so much. And the lower gearing off-road is just about perfect too. We did the swap right before UBB so I got a lot of good seat time both on the trails out there and on the highway to and from. Plus several weeks of my daily commute on congested Southern California freeways.
Thanks a ton for the info!!!

I would have expected 37's & 4.46 to just kill the beast!

OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

For those who have been following our axle swap saga, we've finally pushed the final episode in our YouTube series on the process. Episode 29 of Horsin' Around is the final installment in our 4-part series on re-gearing and axle-swapping our '21 Ford Bronco Base, which included upgrading to a M220 rear and M210 front drive unit with electric lockers and 5.13 gears. In this one we do all of the buttoning up, including wiring up the lockers to the Bronco's AUX switches, running the Ford Performance tune via Forscan to deal with the Front Axle Disconnect (FAD) delete, and more. Please check it out if you're interested, leave a like, do all the things :)

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

For those who have been following our axle swap saga, we've finally pushed the final episode in our YouTube series on the process. Episode 29 of Horsin' Around is the final installment in our 4-part series on re-gearing and axle-swapping our '21 Ford Bronco Base, which included upgrading to a M220 rear and M210 front drive unit with electric lockers and 5.13 gears. In this one we do all of the buttoning up, including wiring up the lockers to the Bronco's AUX switches, running the Ford Performance tune via Forscan to deal with the Front Axle Disconnect (FAD) delete, and more. Please check it out if you're interested, leave a like, do all the things :)

Thanks.
This is my fall project. Swapping in 5.38 axles and going to 37s.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

SierraBronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Watching now! Where did you find 75W-90? We called Spicer and they told us 80W-90 for break-in and 75W-140 front and rear. (Different than Ford spec as Ford as interested in fuel economy)

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Nicely done series of videos, thanks for posting! Now that you've put it to some use any regrets not going lower than the 5.13s?

Roofus

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3/Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It occurs to me that this video (and the earlier one where we swapped in the M220 rear) are good enough arguments for opting for Sasquatch in the beginning rather than thinking "oh, I'll just save the money now and slap 'em in there down the road some time"
This x1000. I purposely skipped Squatch bc I fully intended to put my own wheels/tires and suspension on. So I figured why spend the $5K when I can put that toward my personal mods. HOWEVER, I had no idea at the time that the axles were upgraded with Squatch and now I’m stuck with a big job if I want to adjust. I’m now thinking I might just drive it till I break an axle and then do the swap. 😂🤦🏻‍♂️

Arokcrwlr

Wildtrak
First Name
Kraig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F150, 2014 Focus, 1973 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This x1000. I purposely skipped Squatch bc I fully intended to put my own wheels/tires and suspension on. So I figured why spend the $5K when I can put that toward my personal mods. HOWEVER, I had no idea at the time that the axles were upgraded with Squatch and now I’m stuck with a big job if I want to adjust. I’m now thinking I might just drive it till I break an axle and then do the swap. 😂🤦🏻‍♂️
Not to imply that you're new to any of this - I can only speak for myself - but to this old timer, Sasquatch was a hard requirement for these very reasons. I had new tires, wheels, and suspension before I took delivery of my Bronco. As with most things worthwhile, I have learned to buy once, cry once...

Sponsored

Roofus

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3/Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Not to imply that you're new to any of this - I can only speak for myself - but to this old timer, Sasquatch was a hard requirement for these very reasons. I had new tires, wheels, and suspension before I took delivery of my Bronco. As with most things worthwhile, I have learned to buy once, cry once...
Agreed! I’ve been wrenching cars since 15. Almost 30yrs (Yeesh!), and I tend to do like you… build out a plan of attack and do it all (or as much as possible) at once so that it works together rather than piecemealing and risking things not working together. But in Fall of ‘21 I found it difficult to really figure out exactly what we were getting with Squatch and clearly what I thought I knew from what I could find was wrong. We are always learning no matter how old or how experienced we get I guess. :)

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Squatch was not an option with the MT in 21, so there was no other option.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
What if you never break the axle? You might be surprised if you wheel with some mechanical empathy on 35's or less how far an open M190 might take you. I wish I could get 4.27 gears for the M210, because then I would only have to screw with one axle.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

What if you never break the axle? You might be surprised if you wheel with some mechanical empathy on 35's or less how far an open M190 might take you. I wish I could get 4.27 gears for the M210, because then I would only have to screw with one axle.
Yes this. I too have a 4.27, I'll live with it, and so far seems more than adequate.

OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Watching now! Where did you find 75W-90? We called Spicer and they told us 80W-90 for break-in and 75W-140 front and rear. (Different than Ford spec as Ford as interested in fuel economy)
I'm not sure, I found that spec somewhere. To be honest I don't think it's crucial being a few points off.
Sponsored