Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

BTW have you seen the size of the pinion gear in these things, in person? They're already teeny-tiny. The one for my 5.13's already has me concerned, and of course the lower gear pinions are even smaller.

Yes, that is a concern of mine as well. In the past I've never wanted to go lower than 4.88s for strength, but don't have a lot of choice with the motor/transmission combo of the Bronco.
I figure if BigMeats hasn't blown his out though I'm probably fine.
Sponsored

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As it is now, I use all of 6th gear on the highway and sometimes even wish I had 7th.
😳

It's not adding up for me. 6th was only usable occasionally for me with 4.70/33s without getting into boost. With 4.70/37s I use 4th for anything below 70. I'd be interested in something closer to 6:1 if I ran 37s full time.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah we swapped to 37's at the same time. I actually had the 37's on there for about a week prior to doing the diff/gear swap. We did axle swap about a month and a half ago, I just hadn't time to edit the video until now. 37's with the 4.46 and MT was usable but not ideal. It pretty much rendered whatever usefulness 6th gear still had with the 35's, to nothing. The 5.13 gears gets it back into that sweet spot where all highway gears are once again usable, with first gear back to "just right" for taking off from a start without having to slip the clutch so much. And the lower gearing off-road is just about perfect too. We did the swap right before UBB so I got a lot of good seat time both on the trails out there and on the highway to and from. Plus several weeks of my daily commute on congested Southern California freeways.
Thanks a ton for the info!!!

I would have expected 37's & 4.46 to just kill the beast!
Sponsored