First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It depends on what you want out of your rig. If you HAVE to have a crawler, then you’ll want an SFA and a rig with an SFA from the factory (jeep) makes so much more sense. But if you’ve got money to burn and HAVE to have a Bronco, an SFA swap is definitely a possibility.

For 99.9% of the people on this forum, the IFS Bronco is more rig than we will know what to do with. Ford did this rig right and everyone is going to love it.

If I had the choice between an IFS and SFA Bronco, I’d go with IFS every day and twice on Sunday.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Broncode

Broncode

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It depends on what you want out of your rig. If you HAVE to have a crawler, then you’ll want an SFA and a rig with an SFA from the factory (jeep) makes so much more sense. But if you’ve got money to burn and HAVE to have a Bronco, an SFA swap is definitely a possibility.

For 99.9% of the people on this forum, the IFS Bronco is more rig than we will know what to do with. Ford did this rig right and everyone is going to love it.

If I had the choice between an IFS and SFA Bronco, I’d go with IFS every day and twice on Sunday.
I know why IFS is preferred....it is a much more compliant setup. Especially for the majority. I have had several 4Runners and they all ride much much better than my SFA FJ40. However, if Toyota made a SFA 4Runner tomorrow, I would be the first to put a deposit on one. There is a reason Wranglers sell really really well in the off-road / 4x4 category....there is still a demand for SFA rigs.

Clark

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I know why IFS is preferred....it is a much more compliant setup. Especially for the majority. I have had several 4Runners and they all ride much much better than my SFA FJ40. However, if Toyota made a SFA 4Runner tomorrow, I would be the first to put a deposit on one. There is a reason Wranglers sell really really well in the off-road / 4x4 category....there is still a demand for SFA rigs.
Agreed. I think Ford will sell a ton of Broncos if they put an SFA under there, or if they leave it IFS. It’s going to be hugely popular. I also think Ford lost sales to some more serious off readers who feel they have to have the SFA that comes in a wrangler. But I still think that’s the minority and Ford hedged their bet and appealed to the majority, like you said.

Maybe my old age and bad back has made me value the smoothness of IFS over SFA. Regardless, the IFS Bronco is going to be perfect for my needs.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So just to stir things up.

I was told by multiple “in the know” sources over the past year or two that Bronco would either have an SFA option, or that it would be easily converted to a solid front axle in the aftermarket. I don’t honestly know if this is still true or not, but there were Broncos prototypes that had SFA and obviously the T4 troller has an SFA. I just don’t think the conversion will be worth it for 99% of people.

Take that as you will. Honestly based on some of what I was hearing I expected to hear that an SFA would be a factory option or ford performance option. But I guess Ford got the IFS good enough to not need that.
Honestly that's my hope...I don't want have to do it alone, and an SFA submodel, or aftermarket solution w/factory support would satisfy me 100%. Such a perfect solution that I doubt it will happen, but I really wanna believe! Part of the reason I'm so involved in this topic is to show that there is demand for an SFA Bronco. I just get frustrated w/the IFS mafia insulting me for it...I mean they have hundreds of vehicle choices! I'm only asking for one!

Sponsored

Killed By Death

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2C
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Honestly that's my hope...I don't want have to do it alone, and an SFA submodel, or aftermarket solution w/factory support would satisfy me 100%. Such a perfect solution that I doubt it will happen, but I really wanna believe! Part of the reason I'm so involved in this topic is to show that there is demand for an SFA Bronco. I just get frustrated w/the IFS mafia insulting me for it...I mean they have hundreds of vehicle choices! I'm only asking for one!
Don't take it as an insult! If anything my post was insulting Jeep engineering. Their steering geometry sucked and all the blame can't be put on the SFA. I had 2 steering dampener recalls before going aftermarket. Still got the death wobble at 65mph ?. That shouldn't ever happen on a brand new, bone stock Rubicon JL. But thats FCA for yah. I'm positive Ford would have done a better job.

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The other reason ford went with the IFS is for lane departure and automatic braking. Mechanically you could probably do a solid axel, but you would abandon some of the technology.
Exactly, why would you want to do it. That setup has been engineered to ideal, I dare say it might be one step forward and two steps back.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There is a reason Wranglers sell really really well in the off-road / 4x4 category....there is still a demand for SFA rigs.
there is very big demand for Wranglers...but my bet is that most of that demand is in spite of the SFA, not because of it....but now with a direct competitor without it, we shall see.

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Agreed. I think Ford will sell a ton of Broncos if they put an SFA under there, or if they leave it IFS. It’s going to be hugely popular. I also think Ford lost sales to some more serious off readers who feel they have to have the SFA that comes in a wrangler. But I still think that’s the minority and Ford hedged their bet and appealed to the majority, like you said.

Maybe my old age and bad back has made me value the smoothness of IFS over SFA. Regardless, the IFS Bronco is going to be perfect for my needs.
the amount of jeeps i've seen on roads have never seen anything but asphalt. even modded jeeps, i'd say maybe 10% of the modded ones have been off road more than once. the amount that needed a SFA would be under 1%. I'm with you and i think Ford made the right call on this.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
U guys don't need to keep justifying Ford on this deal. Ford did exactly what I expected. Now for 1%ers like me what are my options? I'm willing to buy and build a SFA Bronco on my own time and my own dime. Some factory support would sure help!

Sponsored

IfIHMadeA2021Scout

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250 Tremor, IH Scout 80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
U guys don't need to keep justifying Ford on this deal. Ford did exactly what I expected. Now for 1%ers like me what are my options? I'm willing to buy and build a SFA Bronco on my own time and my own dime. Some factory support would sure help!
What are your options? To wait. I guess we're all in the same boat. You sound like the kind of guy that probably already knows this.

We've built a couple of linked solid axle trucks where no kits are available. I know when the Bronco gets home one of the first things that is going to happen is to study the front end and think about what it would take to put a Dana 44 or 60 under it. We just won't do it for a long while. That's not the purpose of this vehicle.

Why do I say wait? Let the aftermarket get some products out there. How long before Currie or Daynatrac offer axles that use the stock Ford brakes? How long before someone determines what junkyard axle will bolt up to the Ford unit bearings? How long before someone offers a long arm kit? Watch and learn then steal their ideas.

Years ago when the TJ came out and long radius arm kits came out I saw them at the Offroad Expo. In front of the booth the girls with the handouts were getting all the attention. There was one lonely awkward looking guy near the back standing next to the display. He was the engineer that designed it and was more than happy to explain the product and the design theory, the why this and not that. I now ask if any of the engineers are around if I'm interested in a product. I would find that guy again when the products start popping up for the Bronco and learn then buy, steal, or a combination of both.

A year or two might be all it takes to wreck the IFS suspension with hard use. the aftermarket will do a lot in that time.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Don't take it as an insult! If anything my post was insulting Jeep engineering. Their steering geometry sucked and all the blame can't be put on the SFA. I had 2 steering dampener recalls before going aftermarket. Still got the death wobble at 65mph ?. That shouldn't ever happen on a brand new, bone stock Rubicon JL. But thats FCA for yah. I'm positive Ford would have done a better job.
For the record, no one in this particular thread insulted me. I was referring to insults I've gotten in other threads. I get a little overzealous about this topic. We have lots of time and there is no harm in playing "what if". IFS is simply something I as a customer didn't want. I kinda knew it was coming, but really hoped there would be an alternative. Now that that ship has sailed I'm exploring what I can do. Its my hope that I can do some cool stuff and share the knowledge I get w/this community.

SwankyTiger

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I mean why is anyone surprised that it isnt SFA? The bronco hasnt been SFA since 1979....
The TTB wasnt a SFA...

MentalBill

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic, Toyota Tundra, Yamaha WR250R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not sure where we are in promoting other sites but Pirate4x4 would be a place to look. Just don't ask stupid questions. They get all nuts.

Clark

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not sure where we are in promoting other sites but Pirate4x4 would be a place to look. Just don't ask stupid questions. They get all nuts.
The original guys from pirate now run a site called Irate4x4.com after pirate was bought out. Yeah, lots of info and experts, but shenanigans a plenty...

For what its worth, I think IfIHMadeA2021Scout nailed it on the head in his last post. It’s only a matter of time, and not very much time at that.
Sponsored