First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Depends on frame and engine clearance. You can probably do it but may need 8-10” lift to clear everything
Think that's probably something the guy doing an axle swap wanted in the 1st place!
Sponsored

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The other reason ford went with the IFS is for lane departure and automatic braking. Mechanically you could probably do a solid axel, but you would abandon some of the technology.
I fail to see what that has to do with anything. Those computers have no idea what suspension the truck has. Of course "Joe schmoe" doesn't have the software to make it work, but for sure Ford does.

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

if you are being restricted that much by not having a solid front axle, why not just build a dedicated off roader? or get a used jeep and do a full build? it's like buying a motorcycle just to turn it into a go kart. why not just buy a go kart?

tldr: too much money and time when you can just buy something else.

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I fail to see what that has to do with anything. Those computers have no idea what suspension the truck has. Of course "Joe schmoe" doesn't have the software to make it work, but for sure Ford does.
If you have to change to a hydraulic steering rack from an EPAS you'll surely lose both of those things.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you have to change to a hydraulic steering rack from an EPAS you'll surely lose both of those things.
Not true. Besides we are talking about SAS, not removing EPS...though it is challenging to envision a way to keep it. U said "The other reason Ford went with IFS is for lane departure and automatic braking". I fail to see how IFS magically makes those things possible.

Sponsored

stickshifter

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma (1975 FJ-40, 1978 CJ-7, 2008 JKU)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What are your guys thoughts on a solid front axle swap? Will this be possible with the chassis layout?
Not trying to be a jerk - and you can spend your money and time any way you like (I mean that seriously, and not in a snide way) - but why would you buy a brand new IFS vehicle with plans to swap in a SFA? If you want SFA, why not buy a Jeep Rubicon, wheel it as hard as you like, and you might find that the stock front axle is fine. Done. If you want to go big with tires (37-40), and you like to romp on the throttle, then swap in a Dynatrac ProRock 44, or go up to a 60 (Dynatrac, Dana Spicer, etc.). You could upgrade the front axle on a Jeep, upgrade the tie rod, drag link, and ball joints, and upgrade the power steering pump (to fix all steering vagueness and potential for death wobble) - and be way under the price and hassle of converting a Bronco IFS to SFA. This is pretty easy work to do on a Jeep; if you are handy with a wrench, you could do it all yourself. There's a diesel option in the Jeep right now with 442 lb./ft of torque. There will be a high-powered gas option from Jeep - almost certainly - about a year after the Bronco hits the market (either the 5.7 Hemi, maybe the 392 they teased when the Bronco debuted, or a turbo-charged 6). Just curious what you are thinking. And if you are just psyched on a project - more power to you!

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not trying to be a jerk - and you can spend your money and time any way you like (I mean that seriously, and not in a snide way) - but why would you buy a brand new IFS vehicle with plans to swap in a SFA? If you want SFA, why not buy a Jeep Rubicon, wheel it as hard as you like, and you might find that the stock front axle is fine. Done. If you want to go big with tires (37-40), and you like to romp on the throttle, then swap in a Dynatrac ProRock 44, or go up to a 60 (Dynatrac, Dana Spicer, etc.). You could upgrade the front axle on a Jeep, upgrade the tie rod, drag link, and ball joints, and upgrade the power steering pump (to fix all steering vagueness and potential for death wobble) - and be way under the price and hassle of converting a Bronco IFS to SFA. This is pretty easy work to do on a Jeep; if you are handy with a wrench, you could do it all yourself. There's a diesel option in the Jeep right now with 442 lb./ft of torque. There will be a high-powered gas option from Jeep - almost certainly - about a year after the Bronco hits the market (either the 5.7 Hemi, maybe the 392 they teased when the Bronco debuted, or a turbo-charged 6). Just curious what you are thinking. And if you are just psyched on a project - more power to you!
I agree. It would be insane to swap to a SFA...but people will do it. People did it with FJs. Expensive and problem prone, but they did it and it worked well for some. I could see that one, as there was nothing else like it with SFA. I can’t see it with Bronco...because there is something else like it with SFA. It’s a Jeep...but it’s your money.

OP
OP
Broncode

Broncode

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For a SFA swap, I wouldn't do it on a newly purchased Bronco. I would get one 1-2yrs used....and probably a base model. I was just curious the possibility as the Toyota's (specifically the 4Runner) is damn near impossible with a similar IFS setup. People have done it, but super pricey im sure. I'm asking specifically for the Bronco chassis, because some setups (RAM IFS pickups, can be SFA swapped fairly easily).

As for Jeep....I haven't purchased one for a reason. Don't get me wrong, they are super capable and offer exactly what I want in a 4x4 (similar to my FJ40), but I am very weary on buying a Chrysler product. If nothing else is available, then yes....but this is why im excited about the Bronco. Who knows, maybe Toyota will get their s**t together for once and offer a proper FJ.

stickshifter

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma (1975 FJ-40, 1978 CJ-7, 2008 JKU)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For a SFA swap, I wouldn't do it on a newly purchased Bronco. I would get one 1-2yrs used....and probably a base model. I was just curious the possibility as the Toyota's (specifically the 4Runner) is damn near impossible with a similar IFS setup. People have done it, but super pricey im sure. I'm asking specifically for the Bronco chassis, because some setups (RAM IFS pickups, can be SFA swapped fairly easily).

As for Jeep....I haven't purchased one for a reason. Don't get me wrong, they are super capable and offer exactly what I want in a 4x4 (similar to my FJ40), but I am very weary on buying a Chrysler product. If nothing else is available, then yes....but this is why im excited about the Bronco. Who knows, maybe Toyota will get their s**t together for once and offer a proper FJ.
I'm with you brother, both in regard to Jeep and Toyota. Jeep needs to drop the 5.7 Hemi in the Wrangler, and fix the front end (steering components, ball joints); then I'd buy one. Toyota needs to bring back that small V8 they had (4.6 I think) and offer it in the Tacoma (here at altitude the 3.5 is weak sauce). Toyota came really close to a knock-out with the FJ Cruiser, but the visibility and quirky design ruined it for many potential buyers. In my opinion, a new FJ should be a new take on old-school 4x4 technology: small V8, solid axles (Toyota has none of Jeep's steering woes in their 70-Series), a manual transmission option, and a manual transfer case. (In my dreams)

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You aren't being a jerk. You are being a jeep salesman tho. Funny how since this topic has come up so many jeep salespeople have started accounts here!

Sponsored

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Bronco has ride height sensors? What are those for?

Bison

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj cruiser, Power wagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would think it would be easiest with the manual base. A shop in town had a lot of trouble getting all the computer do dads to work on the Fj. They ended up cancelling some stuff out but it took them a long time to get it figured out. I would wait until a shop gets the computer stuff figured out and then just ask them questions on how they did it if your doing it yourself. I wouldn’t want to be the first to try it.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think those were for testing purposes. The whole GOAT thing is somewhat of a joke really. I'm OK running monogoat if I have to, but I'd bet the goat computer would have no trouble goating it up on a SFA! The electric rack IS the stumbling block for me. I've figured ways to make it work, but they are weird and not 50 state legal.
Sponsored