Sponsored

Solid Front Axle Conversion?

stickshifter

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma (1975 FJ-40, 1978 CJ-7, 2008 JKU)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You aren't being a jerk. You are being a jeep salesman tho. Funny how since this topic has come up so many jeep salespeople have started accounts here!
Ha ha! I've had Jeeps in the past and liked them. I wish I had hung onto my 1978 CJ-7 (that Jeep I loved). But a Jeep salesman? Naaah. I looked hard at the new JL, but couldn't get over its shortcomings (given the price). Decided to wait and check out the Bronco instead. Its not being a Jeep salesman to tell a guy who is talking about swapping a SFA into a Bronco that maybe he should look at a Jeep. That's common sense!
Sponsored

Staticclism

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
230k mile 1996 Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
What are your guys thoughts on a solid front axle swap?
Anything is possible with enough $$$$.
From my perspective I don't see it as being even a remote necessity; all the videos so far released of the Moab and Rubicon testing have shown that a Bronco - regardless of the wheelbase difference between the 2 and 4 door - will be VERY capable straight off the showroom floor. The places I want to go, I don't see ever using even anywhere near 80% of the displayed capabilities. Thus far I've been more than thoroughly impressed.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ha ha! I've had Jeeps in the past and liked them. I wish I had hung onto my 1978 CJ-7 (that Jeep I loved). But a Jeep salesman? Naaah. I looked hard at the new JL, but couldn't get over its shortcomings (given the price). Decided to wait and check out the Bronco instead. Its not being a Jeep salesman to tell a guy who is talking about swapping a SFA into a Bronco that maybe he should look at a Jeep. That's common sense!
I own 2 jeeps so I was being sarcastic! I've been waiting half my adult life for bronco to come back. Its happening, but, as usual Ford had to ram some IFS up my poop chute! As I see it I can bend over and take it or I can build my bronco how Ford should have. Or I could buy another jeep...where's the fun in that?

Killed By Death

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2C
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford made the right choice not going SFA. The steering on my Jeep JL Rubicon was dangerous (Death wobble) and it SUCKED. A vast majority of Bronco owners will never need it or want it.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford made the right choice not going SFA. The steering on my Jeep JL Rubicon was dangerous (Death wobble) and it SUCKED. A vast majority of Bronco owners will never need it or want it.
I both need and want it so since I'm in such a small minority you don't need to educate me about IFS. Let's try to stay on topic?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Broncode

Broncode

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
From my perspective I don't see it as being even a remote necessity; all the videos so far released of the Moab and Rubicon testing have shown that a Bronco - regardless of the wheelbase difference between the 2 and 4 door - will be VERY capable straight off the showroom floor. The places I want to go, I don't see ever using even anywhere near 80% of the displayed capabilities. Thus far I've been more than thoroughly impressed.
Although you are correct that most of the off-road trails will not be as severe as what was shown in the Moab and Rubicon, however, the Bronco's looked like they did get beat up pretty bad in those videos. I want to say they had some rookie folks behind the wheel, but IFS limits really become clear in those hard-core trails.

It's like boxing...winning a fight is one thing, but the aftermath is something else.

Killed By Death

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2C
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I both need and want it so since I'm in such a small minority you don't need to educate me about IFS. Let's try to stay on topic?
Ever stop to think I wasn't talking to you? I don't care what you want or buy. There are people who have never driven a vehicle with a solid front axle and don't know the downfalls. Plenty of people with no intention of installing a SFA will still read this tread. I did. They can decide for themselves if the information I provided is useful.

Last edited:

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ever stop to think I wasn't talking to you? I don't care what you want or buy. There are people who have never driven a vehicle with a solid front axle and don't know the downfalls. Plenty of people with no intention of installing a SFA will still read this tread. I did. They can decide for themselves if the information I provided is useful. So until someone appoints you "Thread police" I will continue to do so.
Sorry man...I have strong feelings on this topic. So what you are saying is that you have an agenda? Why still? Bronco is revealed and the IFS mafia won. You got what you wanted why continue to beat us over the head with it? I also have an agenda. This Bronco will be born w/the IFS virus. It will only live a few model years, like all its predesecors that tried the same. I am trying to find a vaccine!

Killed By Death

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2C
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry man...I have strong feelings on this topic. So what you are saying is that you have an agenda? Why still? Bronco is revealed and the IFS mafia won. You got what you wanted why continue to beat us over the head with it? I also have an agenda. This Bronco will be born w/the IFS virus. It will only live a few model years, like all its predesecors that tried the same. I am trying to find a vaccine!
I really don't have an agenda just an opinion. I never owned a Ford and just joined this community. I had no idea their was a IFS vs. SFA battle so I don't feel like a winner. My original post in this thread wasn't intended to beat anyone down. I'm glad Ford went IFS but if you guys figure out how to do SFA good for you. Sincerely, do it and enjoy!
Truce? ?

Sponsored

Clark

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I did a solid axle swap on my 05 Liberty because, why not?

Would I do it again? Hell no.

Was it awesome? Hell yes.

it didn’t have nearly the tech the Bronco has so I can’t imagine the PIA swapping one into the Bronco would be. Someone will do it, many will probably. But I don’t see the point.

Ford Bronco Solid Front Axle Conversion? 635BFC7B-FA74-4A06-B96E-5F005B7D0C37

OP
OP
Broncode

Broncode

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I did a solid axle swap on my 05 Liberty because, why not?

Would I do it again? Hell no.

Was it awesome? Hell yes.

it didn’t have nearly the tech the Bronco has so I can’t imagine the PIA swapping one into the Bronco would be. Someone will do it, many will probably. But I don’t see the point.

Ford Bronco Solid Front Axle Conversion? 635BFC7B-FA74-4A06-B96E-5F005B7D0C37
We all need to listen to this man.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Some Toyota and Isuzu owners SAS their rigs. It happens. They have kits for it or at least forum posts to walk you through the steps. I’m sure it will happen to Bronco too.

That said, IFS really is the way forward. If that rubs you the wrong way, wait until the future when everyone has IRS chair throwing threads. ?

John Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500/ Jeep Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m thinking in 5 years or less there will be plenty of Broncos with salvage titles just begging for one tons and a v8. People will be ripping out all the wires, doing stand alone LS, one tons, cage and be on the trails.
Being IFS, I’m assuming the front frame will have to be replaced to allow for the axles without a ton of lift. But that’s completely pulled from my rear.
As for doing that to a nice Bronco, the super dutys have tons of technology and one tons. I’m assuming the canbus speaks the same language and perhaps parts could be compatible with a good tuner to program it

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
So just to stir things up.

I was told by multiple “in the know” sources over the past year or two that Bronco would either have an SFA option, or that it would be easily converted to a solid front axle in the aftermarket. I don’t honestly know if this is still true or not, but there were Broncos prototypes that had SFA and obviously the T4 troller has an SFA. I just don’t think the conversion will be worth it for 99% of people.

Take that as you will. Honestly based on some of what I was hearing I expected to hear that an SFA would be a factory option or ford performance option. But I guess Ford got the IFS good enough to not need that.
Sponsored