First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Sidekick
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I took my bronco to the dealership for it's first oil change. Noticed a slight burning oil smell on the drive home. Two days of normal commute driving and the smell hasn't gone away. Today there was white smoke at idle at a light. Also small drips where I park. The drops in the below picture were after vehicle was parked for about 20 minutes. Can also see oil drops coming from above the cover as pictured. Is this normal? Seems like more oil around the engine bay than when I've had oil changes in the past.

Ford Bronco First Oil Change - Burning Oil Smell and Drip IMG_20230306_165158
Ford Bronco First Oil Change - Burning Oil Smell and Drip IMG_20230306_180825
Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

No, it’s not normal. Bring it back to the dealership and have them check it.

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you have the 2.7, could be tech slopped oil everywhere when they removed the plastic plug. Then again, you need to look more closely at the source or take it back to have them look at it.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
For a 1960's car, yes, that's completely normal on account of using cotton rope for main seals.

However, for a car produced after 1995, no, that's not normal. Your dealership is staffed with goons and you should have them flatbed the car in for another check.

Sponsored

BroncoWTFAN

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MachE FE & BL SAS 22
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you have the 2.7, could be tech slopped oil everywhere when they removed the plastic plug. Then again, you need to look more closely at the source or take it back to have them look at it.
Tip: Remove the plastic plug with your left hand and not your right. With the right hand your arm gets in the way when massive gush of oil starts.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Everything about an oil change revolves around plastic parts. Your oil filter housing and your oil plug and your oil pan. Jeeps 3.6 was infamous for cracking the oil filter lower housing by over torquing the plastic filter cap. Some people have had issues with the Broncos oil pan and the plastic tabs inside not being manufactured properly.

My point is there's lots of things that could break or crack if done wrong. Simply take it back to the dealer and have them check it.

I was 99% sure I was going to have a dealer do my very first oil change just in case anything was an issue it was on them.. The one that day came I decided the odds were in my favor and the dealer would probably just screw it up.

So I did it myself, literally only spilled one drop, and then installed the Ronin.

The trick is to press inward when you unscrew the oil plug and not pull it out all the way. Hold your arm/hand on the top side and use the unscrewed drain plug like a cork to control the flow rate.

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Possible the tech slopped oil everywhere, but it should have been burned off after a drive, shouldn't still be dripping 2 days later. Source: I've slopped oil on oil changes several times and never had a smell or drip last longer than the first few minutes of driving ;)

Could over filling cause this?

Who iz

Badlands
First Name
Otis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, 4Runner, Jimmy
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
da_jokker

"So I did it myself, literally only spilled one drop, and then installed the Ronin.

The trick is to press inward when you unscrew the oil plug and not pull it out all the way. Hold your arm/hand on the top side and use the unscrewed drain plug like a cork to control the flow rate."

Perfect timed advice, appreciate your experience posted.
Have the Ronin, filter and oil ready. All I need now is a semi dry day off work.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bruscomusco

Bruscomusco

Outer Banks
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Sidekick
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I took it back. They had spilled oil everywhere. Smelled burnt oil for another week. Pissed. I went to the dealer thinking they would be experts of their own vehicles.

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I took it back. They had spilled oil everywhere. Smelled burnt oil for another week. Pissed. I went to the dealer thinking they would be experts of their own vehicles.
Should have made them clean (steam clean) the engine and engine bay.

Anyone can make a mistake and spill oil. All of us who do our own have been there. On a new car they should have cleaned it thoroughly.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

da_jokker

"So I did it myself, literally only spilled one drop, and then installed the Ronin.

The trick is to press inward when you unscrew the oil plug and not pull it out all the way. Hold your arm/hand on the top side and use the unscrewed drain plug like a cork to control the flow rate."

Perfect timed advice, appreciate your experience posted.
Have the Ronin, filter and oil ready. All I need now is a semi dry day off work.
Yeah I was amazed on how easy it went. And when I say press in, I'm not saying you actually feel it pressed in, You're just taking the pressure off the little plastic tabs so you can back it out. If you look at your RONIN, you'll see the way it works is when it gets to the locking position pressure kind of pushes the plug out into those little pockets on the thread.

So by applying just a little bit of inward pressure when you first start to turn, it allows those catches to pop out of the pockets easier. Otherwise you are using sheer force to overcome the locking tabs (that are made of plastic thanks to Ford)

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Do your own oil changes as the least experienced tech is always on oil change duty.

omi205

Badlands
First Name
BoJack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Once I get my own place with space, I will do my own oil. Unfortunately im in a parking garage and cannot do my own oil changes. Did my break in oil change last week at the dealer and I would be lieing if I wasnt worried about these issues. As soon as I left the dealer I pulled over and opened the hood. Looked clean as ever. A drop of oil next to the oil intake, as they poured it in. Thats ok. Then I looked under the bronco for any mess or drips. None. Have been looking under it every time I get in. No marks so far. Ill keep going there until I move. Autonation in Torence, LA.
Sponsored