Sponsored

First SUV will be a Bronco. What should I know?

BecauseMotor

Wildtrak
First Name
Springer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI, Ducati Panigale 959, Triumph T100
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hey all. I've loved cars ever since I was a kid and have modified just about every one I've owned (sunfires, cobalts, gtis) and I also have owned and still own a couple of motorcycles. But I've never owned or really driven a SUV/Truck for longer than a few days my whole life. My wife and I live in Brooklyn and have grown tired of the potholes and just terrible conditions of the roads beating up our tiny GTI (still plan to keep for track days) hence the welcoming of this new Bronco. We love hiking, camping, and just generally being outdoors exploring nature when not at a motorcycle/car track event.

So my question is, what should I know about owning a vehicle like the new Bronco?
Sponsored

Mountain Goat

Black Diamond
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01 BMW 325i, '17 VW Alltrack, '20 Nissan Versa
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hey all. I've loved cars ever since I was a kid and have modified just about every one I've owned (sunfires, cobalts, gtis) and I also have owned and still own a couple of motorcycles. But I've never owned or really driven a SUV/Truck for longer than a few days my whole life. My wife and I live in Brooklyn and have grown tired of the potholes and just terrible conditions of the roads beating up our tiny GTI (still plan to keep for track days) hence the welcoming of this new Bronco. We love hiking, camping, and just generally being outdoors exploring nature when not at a motorcycle/car track event.

So my question is, what should I know about owning a vehicle like the new Bronco?
Bronco should be great for even the most extreme potholes.

PELS82

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Your gas milage will probably suck in Brooklyn. Wont be as smooth as your family SUVs but once you drive anything else you’ll miss the Bronco’s capabilities (and badass looks).

Sponsored

Mountain Goat

Black Diamond
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01 BMW 325i, '17 VW Alltrack, '20 Nissan Versa
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The only thing I've wished people driving big trucks knew was that I'm right next to them in a low car and I'd really prefer they didn't keep trying to merge in to me.
This is why I end up putting train horns in most of my sedans. Maybe next I'll adopt the biker's mantra that "loud pipes save lives!"

OP
OP
BecauseMotor

BecauseMotor

Wildtrak
First Name
Springer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Compared to your GTI, get yourself comfortable with body roll.
The GTI has full suspension work to it as well (shocks/struts, springs, sway bars, subframe braces, etc.) It's planted. :cool: Going to be interesting to feel body roll again.

Bronco should be great for even the most extreme potholes.
It's the bridge expansion plates, the sunken down manhole covers, the raised man hole covers, the cobblestone roads, the drainage covers in the left lane of highways, the drainage covers on the sides of roads. Brooklyn/NYC has the worst roads I've seen out of all the places I've been to and lived in.

Your gas milage will probably suck in Brooklyn. Wont be as smooth as your family SUVs but once you drive anything else you’ll miss the Bronco’s capabilities (and badass looks).
Figured this about gas mileage. Meh.

The only thing I've wished people driving big trucks knew was that I'm right next to them in a low car and I'd really prefer they didn't keep trying to merge in to me.
Happens to me all the time on the motorcycles. Because of that, I feel I'm a pretty aware driver.

This is why I end up putting train horns in most of my sedans. Maybe next I'll adopt the biker's mantra that "loud pipes save lives!"
They do!

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Also, this reminds of how I commuted across downtown Baltimore city in a manual, slammed 2012 Focus for about a year ... then I taught my wife how to drive stick, gave her the Focus, and took the Grand Cherokee.

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The GTI has full suspension work to it as well (shocks/struts, springs, sway bars, subframe braces, etc.) It's planted. :cool: Going to be interesting to feel body roll again.

It's the bridge expansion plates, the sunken down manhole covers, the raised man hole covers, the cobblestone roads, the drainage covers in the left lane of highways, the drainage covers on the sides of roads. Brooklyn/NYC has the worst roads I've seen out of all the places I've been to and lived in.

Figured this about gas mileage. Meh.

Happens to me all the time on the motorcycles. Because of that, I feel I'm a pretty aware driver.

They do!
You will love driving the Bronco in Brooklyn/Manhattan. Even my Armada is a little rough driving around here, but I'm expecting the Bronco to be a huge improvement.

OP
OP
BecauseMotor

BecauseMotor

Wildtrak
First Name
Springer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Also, this reminds of how I commuted across downtown Baltimore city in a manual, slammed 2012 Focus for about a year ... then I taught my wife how to drive stick, gave her the Focus, and took the Grand Cherokee.
Ford Bronco First SUV will be a Bronco. What should I know? IMG_6533

I also bought this GTI to teach my wife to drive..!! She never showed interest other than a few days and just prefers I chauffeur her around everywhere (no issue here). So I kept the it and am now pushing 400hp/400tq at the wheels. Which bend easily on these NYC roads lol

You will love driving the Bronco in Brooklyn/Manhattan. Even my Armada is a little rough driving around here, but I'm expecting the Bronco to be a huge improvement.
Fingers crossed. You seem to know just how brutal these roads are :ROFLMAO:

Sponsored

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

When you run no sidewalll tires, like your GTI, you have lost half your suspension.

If you start with that look, no suspension can save you from potholes. You need taller side walls, like you will get on a 17" wheel on the Bronco, not an 18" wheel or more which will transmit more harshness.

csj

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Tacoma OR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
To me a 4wd mid size SUV is the most useful vehicle made. Able to get around in all weather except the very worst, able to carry quite a bit; 4 or 5 adults + some cargo, able to do some off roading, better mileage than a full size, easier to find a parking space than a full size or a truck, suspension much better over bad paved roads. With the rear seats folded down can carry quite a bit in back, if you get a liner even construction type materials. With the new Bronco able to drive with the rear gate shut and the rear window flipped up, you'll be able to carry longer type items, like I used to on rare occasions with my former JK. A very flexible, adaptable vehicle. Generally safer than a car too, if driven safely. By that I mean an SUV is a tippier than a sedan; can't be driven as fast around corners, but in collisions, physics still matter, a heavier SUV will generally fare better than a lighter sedan.

OP
OP
BecauseMotor

BecauseMotor

Wildtrak
First Name
Springer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
When you run no sidewalll tires, like your GTI, you have lost half your suspension. If you start with that look, no suspension can save you from potholes. You need taller side walls, like you will get on a 17" wheel on the Bronco, not an 18" wheel or more which will transmit more harshness.
That was what my car looked like at its peak. Stock GTI's come with a 225/40-18 tire size. The tire size in the image above was a 245/35-19 which is comparable in sidewall thickness. It's now riding on a cushy 17" wheel setup with 265/40-17 tires.

Ford Bronco First SUV will be a Bronco. What should I know? 2020-05-16 03.56.21 1

OP
OP
BecauseMotor

BecauseMotor

Wildtrak
First Name
Springer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Glad to hear you're planning on keeping the GTI.

Here's two of my rides, because one can not replace the other...

Ford Bronco First SUV will be a Bronco. What should I know? IMG_9096.JPG

YES! The GTI can do things the Bronco can't and it certainly goes the other way as well. You've got a lovely pair right there. Swapping the jeep for a bronco?
Sponsored