First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco 2017 f150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Wasn't sure where to put this thread so put it here in the general topics. Most every bronco owner knows how hot the motor and trans. can get when working the bronco hard. From my own experience I've seen engine and trans. go high when slow trail running or in the snow. Summer trail running coolant temps 220 plus ant trans. 235 and higher. Snow coolant 225 and higher trans 245 and higher and outside temp below freezing, not good. this has been brought up in other threads here about high temps.

After doing a bunch of research here in the US and Australia talking to different aftermarket people, no one has really dove into any solutions. They all knew about this but haven't worked on a possible fix so I'm going to dive into it for my own self.

Areas to start, thermostat maybe a 180 one replacing the pretty much useless heat exchanger with a front mounted air to air trans cooler, possibly a fan over ride switch, maybe a front mounted pusher fan. Keep in mind I don't believe there is a single fix, but a combo of things to bring the coolant and trans temps down to more reasonable level. Heat in a bronco is not bad but too much is not good either. Guys feel free to give any suggestions of ideas they will all be appreciated.
Sponsored

jehines3

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX350L, Chevrolet Silverado, Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have no idea what you are talking about. I keep the multi gauges up in the display and I’ve never seen anything nearly that high. A lower T stat won’t do it. It’s wide open and full circulation well before the numbers you posted. What ambient temps are you seeing this occur. Even 110F ambient will cool a 190-210 radiator. Additional Forced fan cooling would be my first step.

OP
OP

joes bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco 2017 f150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I keep gauges on too with a scangauge ultra should have added both temps run in the 200 range normal highway driving. About the 189 t stat. I have a 2017 f150 3.5 ecoboost and work them too and you will see high temps too. One of the most common things with those trucks to do is a 180 t stat it doesn't stop high temps but does buy you time when climbing a steep grade with a RV trailer behind and a atv in the bed of the truck, I do that all of the time.

The big and I do mean big difference between my truck and my bronco is that tiny little heat exchanger on the bronco and the big soudi trans cooler on my truck. It's been called a soudi cooler because ford puts them on all trucks sent to Soud Arabia. the bronco heat exchanger on the other hand almost completely depends on engine coolant to cool the trans fluid. This equals coolant temps to trans temps, coolant temps at 210 and up means trans temps do the same or most of the time higher.

Keep in mind what I stated in my starter post there is no one fix it's going to take a combo of things

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

@joes bronco I think it's a non issue! Ford Superduties towing heavy up mountain pases see high 240's. On Ford-trucks.com forum people are always asking about that, being that hot on steep grades with heavy loads, all normal is the responses. I've been that hot many times and have done the drain and fill on my 6R140 twice now. Both times fluid looked great, still red not brown.

Also, are you in 4L when snow wheeling? That will help with temps also, everything doing less work...

20201005_112546.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP

joes bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco 2017 f150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Now if I can figure out how to get one of those superdutie radiators in the bronc I would have it made LOL.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Wasn't sure where to put this thread so put it here in the general topics. Most every bronco owner knows how hot the motor and trans. can get when working the bronco hard. From my own experience I've seen engine and trans. go high when slow trail running or in the snow. Summer trail running coolant temps 220 plus ant trans. 235 and higher. Snow coolant 225 and higher trans 245 and higher and outside temp below freezing, not good. this has been brought up in other threads here about high temps.

After doing a bunch of research here in the US and Australia talking to different aftermarket people, no one has really dove into any solutions. They all knew about this but haven't worked on a possible fix so I'm going to dive into it for my own self.

Areas to start, thermostat maybe a 180 one replacing the pretty much useless heat exchanger with a front mounted air to air trans cooler, possibly a fan over ride switch, maybe a front mounted pusher fan. Keep in mind I don't believe there is a single fix, but a combo of things to bring the coolant and trans temps down to more reasonable level. Heat in a bronco is not bad but too much is not good either. Guys feel free to give any suggestions of ideas they will all be appreciated.
Hi Gordon! I can look into your Bronco's heat concern on my end. To get started, could you please send a private message over with the name/location of your local Ford dealer and your Bronco's VIN?
Sponsored