Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'86 Westy
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just got my 2dr BD and wanted to ask the community for any recommendations for a first trail to explore. Nothing to extreme, since we may go solo on this first one. I’m in Orange County CA.

Any recommendations appreciated
Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just get OnX Off Road and look around your area.

Desert_Brush

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mini Cooper
Your Bronco Model
Base
You're kind of far from everything that I know of (as a reference I live in SCV in LA County). If you want to make any one of them a day trip you could do:
Ocotillo Wells - Haven't been, but it looks really fun and open.
Johnson Valley - Where the Bronco's secret coordinates take you to.
Joshua Tree - Camped here in March and took my Bronco there with plenty of different levels of trails but requires reservations (going during the summer is not advised).
Rowher Flats - It's underwhelming but I live 12 minutes from there.
Red Rock State Park - you can camp at and off road there with plenty of easy beginner trails.
Big Bear - Has plenty of trails ranging in difficulty.

If you want to drive further like a multi day trip you can go to:
Pismo Beach - You can drive on the sand dunes.
Bishop - Trails out in the Sierras where you could definitely run into snow this time of year or find fishing spots along Owens Valley
Death Valley - I spent three days camping and trail riding Nov 2023 but does require reservations (going during the summer is not advised).

As a disclaimer I have not taken my Bronco to Ocotillo Wells, Johnson Valley, Big Bear or Pismo Beach...Yet. I have only had it for 14 months so I got plenty more of these to mark off the list.

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Santiago Peak is a good one if you're in Orange County, its just a truck trail and it was the first place I took my rig. However, I also popped a tire and had to mount my spare so, don't roll up there at 40psi :)

Sponsored

dman3540

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco Badlands 4-door Non-SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just got my 2dr BD and wanted to ask the community for any recommendations for a first trail to explore. Nothing to extreme, since we may go solo on this first one. I’m in Orange County CA.

Any recommendations appreciated
I'm in OC too, Mission Viejo, and also just picked up my Bronco in Sept. I am looking at a first trail explore as well. I'm thinking of the truck trail to Santiago Peak as recommended by someone who has been. I'm very new to this and I don't have any recovery gear, but the spare, so maybe 2 is better than one if you ever feel up for it?

dadjoke

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Big Bend 4-Door 2.7 MIC Auto Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Anaheim here, have gone up Trabuco Canyon fire road trails a couple times just for something 'local'

Going to start heading out to Joshua Tree area in the new year. I really wish there was something else < 2h away

mdk100

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911, Cayenne, BMW X3e, 2 door BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Was just at Death Valley and Red Rocks. Be aware most trails in Death Valley are closed due to the recent rains. Double check what’s open, as a lot of off road trails aren’t accessible. Red Rocks is fun, but you might find some stuff a bit much for your first time.

Joshua Tree also has a lot of stuff on BLM land outside the actual park. You can also camp freely vs reservations. Second on getting OnX Off-road.

Villageidit

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4X4 Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Not sure it's what you want for a first trail but run Coyote Canyon from Anza down into Borrego Springs. Did that run years ago and had a lot of fun.

ironmike

Raptor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Not sure it's what you want for a first trail but run Coyote Canyon from Anza down into Borrego Springs. Did that run years ago and had a lot of fun.
That route no longer goes thru. Several miles in the middle part of Coyote Canyon were closed down a few years ago to rehabilitate the ecosystem. However I’ll certainly agree that Anza Borrego SP has a lot of great off-road opportunities (Fish Canyon first and foremost).

Sponsored

bellboyfab

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22Bronco ‘93 C3500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Depends on how far out your willing to go Santiago peak is near you in OC, there are a number of good beginner trails near big bear but it’s a bit of a drive as well as hungry valley SVRA near Santa Clarita.

Pseudoko

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 2 Feet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you decide to do Santiago peak you’ll be taking maple springs up. Just keep on mind that if you’re not careful, you will be putting pin stripes on your new bronco :) figured I’d mention that so you know what to expect .

Villageidit

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4X4 Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That route no longer goes thru. Several miles in the middle part of Coyote Canyon were closed down a few years ago to rehabilitate the ecosystem. However I’ll certainly agree that Anza Borrego SP has a lot of great off-road opportunities (Fish Canyon first and foremost).
Too bad, that route was a good run. Probably closed it around the water crossing I guess.

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I grew up in OC and ran all of Santiago Peak, AKA Saddleback Mountain when all the trials were open, now many gates are locked, but there's a couple of routes open, which way do you want to come in? Are you North or South OC? South off the top of Ortega is a truck road, very mild, I haven't been in a long time, but it goes to Fallbrook.

https://www.off-road.com/trails-events/trails/offroad-trail-rides-in-orange-county-calif-52465.html

Check out above link for story and photos of Santiago Peak.

Farther away is San Bernardino & Idle Wild, past that is the desert and Johnson's Valley, home of the Bronco's R&D and a cool place to go with a lot of cool places.

We have organized trips on the SoCal Bronco link posted by Parrie above and a few of us would be happy to show you around. It is better to go with someone who knows the area with experience and there's safety in having help if needed.

Plus on every outing I've met cool people.

Note: I've been on many day trips, a weekend and the Bronco Safari and everyone I've met has been really cool, no talk about anything that would divide people, only fun talk about wheeling.
Sponsored