First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep GC, Excursion, Focus ST, Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've only flat-tow'd a manual Civic behind a MH, no issues but the Civic was light and barely noticeable. But, read recently about a Wrangler owner who had a No Start after towing his new, manual Jeep some distance. Turns out he had the transmission in gear instead of Neutral and had inadvertently put the Transfer Case in 4L instead of Neutral. The Pentastar was turning huge RPM while being pulled and destroyed itself from the inside out. An expensive mistake.
Sponsored

PA BRaptor

Raptor
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F350
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I've only flat-tow'd a manual Civic behind a MH, no issues but the Civic was light and barely noticeable. But, read recently about a Wrangler owner who had a No Start after towing his new, manual Jeep some distance. Turns out he had the transmission in gear instead of Neutral and had inadvertently put the Transfer Case in 4L instead of Neutral. The Pentastar was turning huge RPM while being pulled and destroyed itself from the inside out. An expensive mistake.

Had a friend who did something similar. Hooked a Ford Ranger to a pusher and pulled it from PA to FL. Left the Ranger in 1st gear.

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Carnage.

I still think flat towing a Bronco is a bad idea.

Buy a Wrangler with a manual transfer case instead.
What's the reasoning behind that comment? The Bronco is designed to be flat towed. This accident had nothing to do with the Bronco's ability to be flat towed.

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Pentastars are good engines, they don't destroy themselves from running high RPM. Of course if you redline for hundreds of miles that is crazy stupid. What was the driver thinking?

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘16 Corvette Z51
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

What's the reasoning behind that comment? The Bronco is designed to be flat towed. This accident had nothing to do with the Bronco's ability to be flat towed.
Have you not seen the amount of threads here with people grenading transmissions and transfer cases flat towing?

Then Ford denying warranties?

Sponsored

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

that may be true, but having an electronically controlled transfer case is no go. Hence the recommendation to get a vehicle that has 4x4 also have a manual transfer case engagement.

Bill K

Big Bend
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Big Bend 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Fordpass will alert for low tire pressure, it's a free way to monitor.
I don't think it would do that when flat towing. Note that the vehicle is off while flat tow is engaged, but I'm not sure.

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't think it would do that when flat towing. Note that the vehicle is off while flat tow is engaged, but I'm not sure.
Ahh, you might be right.

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
that may be true, but having an electronically controlled transfer case is no go. Hence the recommendation to get a vehicle that has 4x4 also have a manual transfer case engagement.
Unless you have the Advanced 4x4 option, the so called electronic control is nothing more than an actuator motor for shifting (2H, 4H, 4L). It's not going to affect flat towing in any way, its just a plane jane transfer case when you're not shifting. The Advanced 4X4 of course is a different animal, but even with it I'm pretty sure when in flat towing mode its neutral and all the electronic stuff is inactive. I have driven Jeeps and I really appreciate the Bronco electric shifting. It seems to be a chore to shift a Jeep, takes a lot of muscle. That said, I'll pass on the extra complexity of Advanced 4x4.

sgraing1

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond.A Bunch More Junk.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clueless comes to mind.

Sponsored

grayshadow

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Have you not seen the amount of threads here with people grenading transmissions and transfer cases flat towing?

Then Ford denying warranties?
So Ford should warranty something due to the inability of the owner to follow the owners manual? 🤷‍♂️

I have flat towed mine almost 20,000 miles so far.

noliveaxle

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 jku rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have seen two wranglers that locked up and destroyed tires.
Operator error. No way that’s caused from hiccups from computer. Very hard to make a mistake. Put into park(gear) set transfer case to neutral. Haha release parking brake. I forgot the last part. Got me some purple/blue rotors.
Sponsored