Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Who was a kid before rear vents were a thing? We all survived.
Sponsored

Superthornbird

Everglades
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang, 2015 Outback
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

How did we ever make it in the olden days with no A/C?

I remember sitting in a back seat of a Gray 1978 Impala with dark red vinyl seats and no A/C in the St Louis summers, 98° and 98% humidity. We had to keep towels on the seats to keep them from burning you if you where wearing shorts.

If you want a vehicle equipped like a CUV buy a CUV. There is a reason why you see so many on the roads

Don't ask a Pack mule to be a show horse.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
All I can add is, when I sat in the rear seat area in a four door WT, it was a 95 plus degree day, and the lack of air movement across the space I was in was noticeable. I first drove the WT for about a six mile loop, then sat in the back for the same duration. I noticed the lack of moving air.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I died nine times myself from heat stroke when I was a child in the rear of the 19 foot long station wagon and the car only had front A/C or Gasp! No A/C at all.
God forbid you sat in the rear-facing fold-down seats in the 60's Country Squire.

Lol.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Who was a kid before baby seats and booster seats were a thing?

Posted elsewhere...

Gone are the days of standing on the driveshaft hump and holding on to the front seat backs in mom's '65 Country Squire while she fires up a Marlboro...

Lol.

Sponsored
OP
OP
DwnSth

DwnSth

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2013 F150, 2014 GC, 2002 TJ,
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

How did we ever make it in the olden days with no A/C?

I remember sitting in a back seat of a Gray 1978 Impala with dark red vinyl seats and no A/C in the St Louis summers, 98° and 98% humidity. We had to keep towels on the seats to keep them from burning you if you where wearing shorts.

If you want a vehicle equipped like a CUV buy a CUV. There is a reason why you see so many on the roads

Don't ask a Pack mule to be a show horse.
Yeah, I'm from the deep south so heat and humidity are most of the year. I also got to enjoy the rear skylight bunk in the back of our 70's impala's. They actually had floor vents if I recall (maybe they were only for heat). I do remember a trip to the Grand Canyon and the back seat never seemed to get cool.
Did you notice what I currently drive! Not really a CUV ;) It has excellent rear vents.

joeramirez

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram Truck
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford Bronco Floor A/C vents may be deal breaker 1D8BF976-4811-4942-A462-2C9AB2E94B35

PaBronco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2022 F-150 Lightning Pro
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Flashback. Metal dash boards, no seat belts, no AC. Seven hour trips with the windows down.
I remember when our neighbor got a vehicle with a windshield washer. State of the art back then.

Sponsored

txozpilot

First Edition
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda (Worlds best family van) Odyssey ;)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
The floor level a/c vents may make it impossible for me to travel with my dogs. We travel probably 80% of the time with the rear seats folded and our two 100+ lb dogs in the back. Just made a trip in the Wrangler (to off-roadeo) and I think in the 96 degree heat on the 1000 mile round trip not having the available rear vents still blowing to the back the cooling would not have been able to keep up.
Any real world experience with keeping back cool with seats down?
We had the 4 door Wildtrak for the weekend, had all three kids in the back.
With the soft top in place my 5 yr old needed a blanket to stay warm while we were driving. Temp set to 66° auto. This is in SoCal with 104° weather.
With the top down it was obviously a lot hotter but they never complained about the heat.
I don’t think it would be a deal breaker for the dogs. You’ve got great airflow with the top down and then the middle vents pointed into the back should descend enough cool air onto the dogs.
I mean I would’ve loved to see some vents in the back of the center armrest, but definitely not a deal breaker
Just my two cents

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So in Bethesda, Maryland, back in the '60s and 70's there was a road between River Road and Bradley Blvd. called Burdette Road. Just north of Burning Tree country club, the road had three consecutive humps in it that dropped about 6 feet down and flattened for about 20 feet or so. My dad or mom would fold all the seats down in Mom's Country Squire, so we had a good 8' feet of steel floor to slide forward and aft on. What a ball that was! We'd just laugh our asses off. And try not to catch the piano hinge in the flooring (there were 2 of them).

Some time in the 1980's, Montgomery county took the humps out. Too many teenagers would try and catch air over the humps. Then in the 1990's the county put speed humps in to slow traffic down on the now 400 feet of flat road. Lol.

Last edited:

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Flashback. Metal dash boards, no seat belts, no AC. Seven hour trips with the windows down.
I remember when our neighbor got a vehicle with a windshield washer. State of the art back then.
That's "470" air-conditioning to us old codgers. Lol.

Kahless01

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Truimph Thunderbird Storm
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
were you covered in thick hair and have no sweat glands too? parents werewolves?

ive only got a great dane so shes not very hairy but in the back of my element with just the little pop up windows and no rear vents she struggled quite a bit. in my cts she would sit with her mug in the middle of the ac vents and was happy.

LSU Jonno

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

These posts are confusing to me - I understand wanting to keep your dog cool and comfortable.

But while the car is running and the AC is on you're not getting extreme temperature gradients in a vehicle. The dog isn't experiencing 90F+ in the rear while your cold at 62F up front.

We frequently travel with our 65LB Shep mix and he hangs out in the hatch of the FoST. There's next to no forced convection back there and he makes it on every single 8+ hr trip in 90-100F weather.
LoL, I know. It's like how the hell have dogs not gone extinct with how sensitive they are to tiny amounts of heat. Plus every review we've seen on this forum is that the A/C is not an issue at all in the back seats.
Sponsored