Sponsored

For those with some miles on their Bronco, do you have any regrets on trim package or options chosen?

josephs6392

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1940 Ford roadster pickup, 1947 Ford 5W coupe
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

In for the responses. Very curious to leather vs MGV thoughts.
I sat on both the leather and MGV in the summer sun and promptly changed my order to cloth. I’m extremely happy with the Roast cloth seats in my OB. They are not hot in the sun. Also don’t freeze my ass off in the winter.
Really glad mine has the running boards to protect the body from rocks flying off the 35” tires from my SAS Lux. I also added the Trail Armor Rocker Covers the day I picked it up.
Lastly, mine has just over 1000 miles on the 2.7 and it is averaging 19.6 mpg. Not too shabby for a vehicle with an estimated 17.
Did I mention that I like it ? “Love” is a strong word with only 1000 miles on it. Time will tell. Can’t wait for next summer!
Sponsored

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I ordered in Feb before ever seeing a Bronco, all choices were theoretical and practical and interrelated and complicated:
OBX: I wanted the most road-comfortable vehicle, with good options. I like the body colored paint on fenders/mirrors, and running boards, wheels, 18" tires, and im in the Carolinas so why not OBX. I initially assumed that a vehicle named Outer Banks after a beach national park, would be specifically fitted-out for riding on the beach. That was probably a wrong assumption.
HIGH package. This adds lane keeping and 12" screen to the Included Mid package for only $1,200. Great choice, excellent deal. I thought the LUX package was overkill. Regret: there should be a USB port on top of the dash for all trims . . . Otherwise, why have that thread for an accessory rail!
Leather/Electric Adjustable seats, Onyx/Roast. LOVE THIS CHOICE. At 6'5", long trips, I can move the seat adjustment regularly. I love the tan interior colors, especially the dash. Like the carpet, will get rubber liners eventually for beach sand.
MIC top: love taking it on and off. Love the hard top security when its on. Quiet AFAIK compared to rag top. Glad I held out for the MIC. Will buy a convertible top for summer, MAYBE, in time. The removable mid panel is nice if I have a helper, otherwise I can remove the front panels and put behind the front seats, or in garage.
Point: The rear-storage option for the panels is impractical once there's STUFF in the back. Too cumbersome. I have stuck one panel on edge in back, the other behind seat.
2.7 Engine. Love it. Why not have more power!?? The MPG difference between the 4cyl and 6cyl is negligible. Gearing and tire size have more impact on MPG. I get 17 in town, 21 on the interstate and 22 on state highway trips.
Rear Locker & 4.27 axle. I've always wanted a rear locker for beach sand driving. It was an upgrade that required the auto transfer case and the 4.27 axle, two steps lower (geared down for more torque/bigger tires) than the stock 3.73 axle. I haven't been Beach driving, but I'm happy with the choice. The lower gearing cost me 1 MPG, I believe.
Auto Electronic transfer case: I love the ability to keep the car in 2wd for dry pavement, and Auto, for all wheel drive in rain or snow.
4dr. I had 1988 and 1996 Eddie Bauer full size Broncos. I would not have traded the 96 if it had 4 doors. Too difficult with passengers. That said, the current 4dr should be 6" longer with 6" more rear leg room. I got the 4dr for the extra rear storage, occasionally carry a 3rd passenger. I'm rempted to remove a rear seat!
Fuel: the 2dr gas tank is too small. The 20gal 4dr tank gives 400 miles, liveable.
Trailer hitch: I use it for a bike rack with a swing out "Pivot". Occasionally need to tow something, for me, its indispensable.
Non-Sasquatch. I thought that Sasquatch would be too noisey, too bumpy, bad mileage on highway and raised too high for getting into vehicle. I don't know if thats true or not. Part of me wonders if i should have Sasquatched my OBX, but I'm happy for now. My long term plan is 33" tires, but all tires for the 18" OBX wheels are E rated, I want C or D for comfort. I may have to buy 17" wheels and tires, But I'll wait for now until I drive on beach.
Area 51. Love the color, changes all day with the lighting.
Plastic bumpers: I've never used a bumper for anything but bumping. I wouldn't have minded basic steel bumpers, but that tube bumper "upgrade" seemed useless to me. I would have liked a steel front bash plate.
Overall, the OBX 4dr MIC 2.7 High is a great car, suits me fine!

20211201_143920.jpg

Last edited:

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Squatched Badlands high pack...
I wish the audio/USB/wireless charging were offered outside of the nanny electronics.
Actually, if I could just get armrest and dash USB ports I would be totally happy.
But I'd never spring for $3000 to get em.
When you say there is no armrest, do you mean in the front seats or the back seats or both?

I know my BL will not have rear seat armrests but I thought it did have front seat armrests.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Have mine for about 3 weeks now with about 1,500 mi so far:

4Dr Outer Banks Lux with 2.7L Hard top.

Love it more everyday, drives like a dream and the 2.7 has some giddy up to it! Only thing so far is I have some wind noise at highway speeds. I've taken off the front to panels and reset them hoping maybe that was it but no luck so far. Still need to take the roof rack off to take the rear section off too.

Anyone else with wind noise? I think mine is a little much...
Yes, the wind noise is not coming from the roof! It happened above 60mph with roof on or off. Same with the occasional whistle. However, it goes away eventually, I found. Yesterday, did 200 miles of 40 mph to 65 mph secondary road/state highway driving. No whistling and no wind noise. 2,500 miles on vehicle! OBX 4dr 2.7 MIC.

Sponsored

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

When you say there is no armrest, do you mean in the front seats or the back seats or both?

I know my BL will not have rear seat armrests but I thought it did have front seat armrests.
My OBX with leather has the rear seat flip down armrest. But front has no attached armrests, the car isnt wide enough. The center console, and the door trim, are the armrests. The door area armrest could use a little more padding, but comfortable enough.

jackb10

Outer Banks
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Outer Banks; 2019 Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yes, the wind noise is not coming from the roof! It happened above 60mph with roof on or off. Same with the occasional whistle. However, it goes away eventually, I found. Yesterday, did 200 miles of 40 mph to 65 mph secondary road/state highway driving. No whistling and no wind noise. 2,500 miles on vehicle! OBX 4dr 2.7 MIC.
Thank you that's good to hear, however i went through a car wash yesterday and saw some water dripping through the middle joint in the two front panels. I'll try re-setting them again and see what happens. If it doesn't go away soon, back to the dealer to have it looked at...

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thank you that's good to hear, however i went through a car wash yesterday and saw some water dripping through the middle joint in the two front panels. I'll try re-setting them again and see what happens. If it doesn't go away soon, back to the dealer to have it looked at...
Its clear that the MIC tops are a mixed bag. Most are fine, as are mine, but some people report issues. Also, I'm in SC, so I dont know what effect the COLD like in your Chicago ( Or my former Upstate NY) will have on the MIC top gaskets.

I tend to hand wash my cars, but Ive been in strong SC rain, and no leaks.

Graves_Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fiesta
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Have mine for about 3 weeks now with about 1,500 mi so far:

4Dr Outer Banks Lux with 2.7L Hard top.

Love it more everyday, drives like a dream and the 2.7 has some giddy up to it! Only thing so far is I have some wind noise at highway speeds. I've taken off the front to panels and reset them hoping maybe that was it but no luck so far. Still need to take the roof rack off to take the rear section off too.

Anyone else with wind noise? I think mine is a little much...
We have a 2 door 2.7 black diamond, and the highway wind noise seems a bit much also, but just from one side. Going to put someone in the back and see if they notice anything that can be fixed. Or if that's just life now.

slypops

Badlands
First Name
Reggie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
79 Ford F-150 4x4 , 11 JK wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It does on the automatic.
And when my grown son saw the digital readout on the dash, he commented they could have easily added remote start. I just didn't want to gamble with the 2.3 and auto. very pleased in spite of being an original Wildtrak order.

Sponsored

jackb10

Outer Banks
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Its clear that the MIC tops are a mixed bag. Most are fine, as are mine, but some people report issues. Also, I'm in SC, so I dont know what effect the COLD like in your Chicago ( Or my former Upstate NY) will have on the MIC top gaskets.

I tend to hand wash my cars, but Ive been in strong SC rain, and no leaks.
We have a 2 door 2.7 black diamond, and the highway wind noise seems a bit much also, but just from one side. Going to put someone in the back and see if they notice anything that can be fixed. Or if that's just life now.
I have the roof rack on mine that i am going to take off so i can remove the back seat panel as well. Maybe just isn't sitting right, we'll see.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have the roof rack on mine that i am going to take off so i can remove the back seat panel as well. Maybe just isn't sitting right, we'll see.
There's no way around the fact that this is a noisier vehicle at Highway speeds, when compared to a fully "topped" car or truck. Thats the nature of removable panels. Its better (quieter) than the HT Jeep, I hear, and quieter than a soft top Bronco at highway speed. The road noise will be even worse with more aggressive tires. Thats why I have the OBX, Non-Sas. Its only from 70-80 mph that mine becomes noticible. Its probably solved with an aftermarket, well-insulated, not-easily-removed solid top. But I bought the Bronco because I wanted an on-demand open top. So I'll live with the imperfections or rather design-tradeoffs!

jackb10

Outer Banks
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
There's no way around the fact that this is a noisier vehicle at Highway speeds, when compared to a fully "topped" car or truck. Thats the nature of removable panels. Its better (quieter) than the HT Jeep, I hear, and quieter than a soft top Bronco at highway speed. The road noise will be even worse with more aggressive tires. Thats why I have the OBX, Non-Sas. Its only from 70-80 mph that mine becomes noticible. Its probably solved with an aftermarket, well-insulated, not-easily-removed solid top. But I bought the Bronco because I wanted an on-demand open top. So I'll live with the imperfections or rather design-tradeoffs!
I agree, I knew going into it it wasn’t going to be a super quiet ride, just the leaking is a concern which says it isn’t sealing properly. I’ve seen others have the same issue so I’m sure Ford will take care of it. Mine sat for almost 3 months with the old top on it so maybe the seals molded to the old top and don’t 100% match up with the new one🤷🏻‍♂️, wht ever it is I am extactic with my OBX. So worth the wait!

NMBronco2021

Outer Banks
First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Close to 4K miles on my Badlands w/ Sas and Lux. We love it. I do wish it had memory seats, but everything else is great.

That being said, if I had known the leather option also got you carpet I would have gone with the MGV.
It's too bad that the MGV was not an option on all models...

HeliPilot

Badlands
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.7L SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would buy the exact same truck: Badlands-Sasquatch-Lux-Soft-2.7

It drives so well with Sasquatch…that you absolutely have to go with the factory 35s and what they give you off road and aesthetics wise.

The B&O is worth the upgrade from high pkg, and the front camera and big screen are a must. Heated seats and wheel are also must haves when the top is dropped when it’s colder.

The soft top is so easy to throw back, that I am ecstatic that I switched from MIC to get it earlier. That would have been a huge mistake.

All in all, I built it perfect for my tastes.
My thoughts exactly. Love everything about mine. The heated wheel, seats and Squatch were a must for me. Don’t plan on changing A thing. And could not agree more about the ride. Handles shockingly well.
Sponsored