Tabman10

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hello everyone. Last weekend I plugged my ProCal into my PC to keep things up to date. The SW “updated” the tool, but also wiped out my files. I have since found reports of this happening on other forums (Explorer ST and others), but didn’t find anything here. I have a contact for tech support after reaching out to Ford, so have to get in touch tomorrow or Friday. I am hoping that someone can please tell me the file names/numbers that are on your tool (original and performance). I have a MY22 2.7L.
I believe that the performance tune I had was NB3A-FPB27A-AHE.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I will report back - hopefully not bitching if they don’t really back up your baseline like the documentation states the do…
Sponsored

adcam

Badlands
First Name
Mando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4DR 2.3L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Exact thing happened to me after I updated in the laptop. I then plugged the Procal to the Bronco and the first thing it asked me if I wanted to save Stock file. I pressed OK. When I put back the Procal back to laptop everything was back including a new file called DLCM upgrade.. I thought I was good Until I tried to back to Stock tune because I was headed to the dealer to do my recalls. It said my ECU read was not valid.
The good news is the FP tech support is good and will get back to you. They called me and walked me through. I gave them remote access to my laptop and they were able to download my stock tune back to my Procal.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Your stock files should be saved under your Ford Performance account online, so if you use a different laptop or your module gets erased there should be a backup there

OP
OP

Tabman10

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thank you for the replies. It looks like I will have to try to get it settled tomorrow, as I had to come into the office today. I am hoping that they actually have a backup (or have access to these files, as they should). On other forums, people said that they were told that (contrary to documentation) the file isn't actually uploaded and it just checks your filename/VIN, so their tool was cleared and they were told to go to the dealer and have them reprogram the module to stock then start the process all over again with a new unlock code (supplied by Ford Perf). I hope this is not the case - it is probably dependent on who you actually get to talk to on the Ford side...

Cux211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ram 2500 Laramie blackout cummins
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Thank you for the replies. It looks like I will have to try to get it settled tomorrow, as I had to come into the office today. I am hoping that they actually have a backup (or have access to these files, as they should). On other forums, people said that they were told that (contrary to documentation) the file isn't actually uploaded and it just checks your filename/VIN, so their tool was cleared and they were told to go to the dealer and have them reprogram the module to stock then start the process all over again with a new unlock code (supplied by Ford Perf). I hope this is not the case - it is probably dependent on who you actually get to talk to on the Ford side...
Not sure if this is possible with this device (as I don’t have one yet) or offers you no help now but when tuning with efi live I always always saved my base/stock files in a folder on my pc that way no matter what happens to the device you’ll always have a copy. That makes perfect sense though if the stock file is wiped out and unretrievable you’d have to go to a dealer get a full ecm flash then probably an unlock code from ford performance not sure about that part though because it’s the same vin normally devices like this are vin locked

Sponsored

adcam

Badlands
First Name
Mando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4DR 2.3L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As I mentioned in my post, the FP tech remote accessed my laptop, went into the procal app. He used his credentials to log in and put in my vin. He downloaded my stock tune into the vin provided. All good now.

OP
OP

Tabman10

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Finally checking back in, as my issues has been fixed and I might have a few tips that may help someone else. Thankfully, as hoped, the cal engineer was able to restore my correct base and FPT files. As it happened, then morning of my appointment with him, he also pushed a ProCal Update to fix the problem (prevent it from happening to more people) and I updated my SW before talking to him. This made my messed up base file have the correct name, but the file was not correct. The engineer replaced both files on my ProCal and it appears to be fine now. If this happens to you, I would suggest the following, based on my experience and other posts that I have read:
1) email Ford Performance - let them get the request to the correct person, versus having someone that may not know as much about this issue answer your call.
2) I was advised not to go crazy with updating, unless there are features that I hear about and absolutely want...I just wish Ford would provide better and complete release notes so I would know if I truly wanted to risk it or not.
3) This was a hint from another forum, but it may be a good idea to revert you vehicle back to stock before attempting tool updates. In the event that something like this happens again (and they can't recover it), you are sure to have your base file to reload on the tool.

JojoReady

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If this happens to you, I would suggest the following, based on my experience and other posts that I have read:
1) email Ford Performance - let them get the request to the correct person, versus having someone that may not know as much about this issue answer your call.
2) I was advised not to go crazy with updating, unless there are features that I hear about and absolutely want...I just wish Ford would provide better and complete release notes so I would know if I truly wanted to risk it or not.
3) This was a hint from another forum, but it may be a good idea to revert you vehicle back to stock before attempting tool updates. In the event that something like this happens again (and they can't recover it), you are sure to have your base file to reload on the tool.
Great advice Tabman! Several weeks ago I had an issue when I tried to change tire size and made the mistake of calling them rather than sending an email. The tech I got was neither helpful nor competent. I sent him screenshots and a video and haven’t gotten any communication or followup since. I called later and got a different tech and he wouldn’t touch it since it was assigned to someone else. The issue is still unresolved

The ProCal tool seems quirky and there is essentially no usable documentation on how to use it once installed. I also worry about how well the FP tune syncs with Ford OTA or dealer software updates. I have an appointment to have the windshield wiper and 4lo camera glitch software patches done at the dealer in a few weeks. Do I keep the FP tune on or revert back to stock before this work is done? If my stock tune changes, how do I back that up with FP? This is all very confusing.

adcam

Badlands
First Name
Mando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4DR 2.3L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just my opinion, I always remove the tune before going to the dealer. That way if something gets messed up I have the stock tune already. Can always load the FP tune.

BowlzBronco

Badlands
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just attempted to return to stock on my 2022 Bronco and received an “invalid ECU” or unable to validate ECU, not sure exact error but either one is not good. I’ve never updated my device since registration, download of app and install in 11/22. After receiving error, I connected to laptop to update and now when I plug the device into the Bronco it’s asking if I want to save the stock tune. Not good.

I just emailed ford performance to get in touch with me. I’ve used SCT tuners on Fords for 10 years and never had issue. I’ll let the group know how it turns out and if they can explain why or what happened.

Sponsored

RoverDude

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco (First Edition)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Similar issue happen to me. Emailed Ford Performance, they got back to me the next day....
What was explained was one of the software patches/ updates to the procal created an error.
Fix one thing break another.

One of the engineering teams members gave me a call, had me hook up the ProCal to a computer, they fixed it all remotely.
Hope resolve for you this week.

0ne

Base
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex
Your Bronco Model
Base
Was feeling FOMO about not getting this tune yet but without easy access to 93 octane and with overall satisfaction with the stock automatic shift characteristics maybe I’ll be ok for now…best to all 🤞

adcam

Badlands
First Name
Mando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4DR 2.3L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Happened to me twice and fixed by FP engineer remotely. Good customer service.

Cux211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ram 2500 Laramie blackout cummins
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Kinda sounds like a shit show, I’ve been using custom tunes on various vehicles for almost 20 years (mostly efi live with a little ez-link) never had any issues like I’m reading about this procal, the price tag of the zfg racing custom tuning is looking better and better lol

Reactions: 0ne

BowlzBronco

Badlands
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well what stated with attempting to return the vehicle to stock tune with Procal this past Sunday is till unresolved with FP tech.
I’ve been trading an email every 24 hours with a tech from an engineer. No one has offered to remote in or get on the phone with me. Last email today (Friday) was instructing me to reconnect the Procal to my laptop and the software would have my files. Not sure how that was going to work. And I was right.
Connected procal device again to software, and still no stock files. This is becoming frustrating because with any other programmer I would have saved the stock tune my local drive and not be beholden to FP servers to return my stock tune.
Sponsored