Sponsored

Front diff leaking and locker self engaging.

Samsquanch75

Black Diamond
First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sasquatch 4dr, 2018 4Runner TRD OffRd
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Drove our Black Diamond Sasquatch on the freeway for approximately 130 miles stopped at our destination for an hour or so. Got back in and started to drive within a mile I went around a 130 degree turn at low speed less than 5mph. About halfway thru the turn the steering wheel jerked and there was a loud metallic clunk front the front end, at the same time the Bronco acted like I was driving with a locker engaged. Sound and jerky nature was very reminiscent of driving with a lunchbox locker and turning under power. My wife said what the hell is that, I have her the shoulder shrug and obligatory no F’n clue. Quick visual inspection revealed nothing. CV’s were intact, drive shaft intact. Did several more slow speed turns and could not replicate. Drove the 130 miles back home and got underneath again. Only thing of notice the the front pinion seal is leaking. Not enough to leave a puddle in the garage but enough to see it running down the housing. Have only engaged the front and rear locker once and that was over 1000 miles ago this was also the last time it was in 4WD. I did put it into 4Hi 4lo and try both lockers last night. Everything seems to be working. It’s going into Kendall Ford in Eugene OR tomorrow for the leaking seal and inspection for the clunking. Will update.
Sponsored

dadjoke

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Big Bend 4-Door 2.7 MIC Auto Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
YT channel "All Terrain Nation" just went through this and got their Bronco back. They did a good job of explaining their experience with the dealer.

I wish you the absolute best of luck with your Bronco and your dealership.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Drove our Black Diamond Sasquatch on the freeway for approximately 130 miles stopped at our destination for an hour or so. Got back in and started to drive within a mile I went around a 130 degree turn at low speed less than 5mph. About halfway thru the turn the steering wheel jerked and there was a loud metallic clunk front the front end, at the same time the Bronco acted like I was driving with a locker engaged. Sound and jerky nature was very reminiscent of driving with a lunchbox locker and turning under power. My wife said what the hell is that, I have her the shoulder shrug and obligatory no F’n clue. Quick visual inspection revealed nothing. CV’s were intact, drive shaft intact. Did several more slow speed turns and could not replicate. Drove the 130 miles back home and got underneath again. Only thing of notice the the front pinion seal is leaking. Not enough to leave a puddle in the garage but enough to see it running down the housing. Have only engaged the front and rear locker once and that was over 1000 miles ago this was also the last time it was in 4WD. I did put it into 4Hi 4lo and try both lockers last night. Everything seems to be working. It’s going into Kendall Ford in Eugene OR tomorrow for the leaking seal and inspection for the clunking. Will update.
Hi there, Neil! This definitely doesn’t sound like the experience we want you to be having. If you'd like to, please go ahead and send a private message to us with your VIN. I’d be happy to look into this for you. Thank you!

OP
OP
Samsquanch75

Samsquanch75

Black Diamond
First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sasquatch 4dr, 2018 4Runner TRD OffRd
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Update to original post. Dealer could not replicate the locker self engaging and say there’s nothing wrong, not surprising.
As for the pinion seal leak, parts are on back order. Advised to keep driving it with the slow drip. Pretty awesome for a $54k suv with less than 10k miles on the odometer.

BottleShark

Badlands
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nautilus, Samurai, 12v Dodge, Fiero, Karma Ghia
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My Bronco is on it's way to the dealership and should be picking it up this week. The more of these types of things I see, the more I question selling my FJ Cruiser.......
Sponsored