Sponsored

Front Diff Leaking - am I missing two bolts?

BulldogBear

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2000 Mercedes-Benz G500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Went to do my 40k oil change and my first peak under the Bronco revealed that the front diff is leaking (I've changed my oil myself every 5k since new, so I'm under the truck on a somewhat regular basis).

Once I got the skid plate off, and started to investigate, I've got two blank bolt holes in the diff casing that look like bolts belong in them... One is at the bottom-most part of the diff, the second is toward the front of the vehicle. Can anyone verify if they have bolts there?

I'm hoping two bolts might be my solution instead of having to have the diff seal replaced.

Not too pleased if it's the seal that failed at only 40k, but I would hope that would be covered under the powertrain warranty…

1710785334729-s5.png
Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have the same thing, two holes and a leak on my front diff. I don't know those are missing, though.

OP
OP
BulldogBear

BulldogBear

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2000 Mercedes-Benz G500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have the same thing, two holes and a leak on my front diff. I don't know those are missing, though.
How many miles on your Bronco? Mine started leaking between 35k & 40k...

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Went to do my 40k oil change and my first peak under the Bronco revealed that the front diff is leaking (I've changed my oil myself every 5k since new, so I'm under the truck on a somewhat regular basis).

Once I got the skid plate off, and started to investigate, I've got two blank bolt holes in the diff casing that look like bolts belong in them... One is at the bottom-most part of the diff, the second is toward the front of the vehicle. Can anyone verify if they have bolts there?

I'm hoping two bolts might be my solution instead of having to have the diff seal replaced.

Not too pleased if it's the seal that failed at only 40k, but I would hope that would be covered under the powertrain warranty…

Ford Bronco Front Diff Leaking - am I missing two bolts? 1710785334729-s5
Normal. I clipped a photo from my diff fluid video for reference.

51050B44-79C6-42EB-8693-FF1AF19306E1.png

Sponsored

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ford Bronco Front Diff Leaking - am I missing two bolts? 51050B44-79C6-42EB-8693-FF1AF19306E1
I’m hazarding a guess that it’s your drain plug leaking. Try reinstalling it with thread sealer (not Teflon). Then spray it all off with brake cleaner and wipe up. See if it comes back.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m hazarding a guess that it’s your drain plug leaking. Try reinstalling it with thread sealer (not Teflon). Then spray it all off with brake cleaner and wipe up. See if it comes back.
Why do you say that? Mine looks almost the same (it does go up on the left side of the photo, see below). I see a plug up on the top, right (which is lubricant-free). Is there another one?

Edit: Nevermind. I just saw the one along the bottom in the middle...

Ford Bronco Front Diff Leaking - am I missing two bolts? IMG_2306
Ford Bronco Front Diff Leaking - am I missing two bolts? IMG_2307
Ford Bronco Front Diff Leaking - am I missing two bolts? IMG_2308

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Why do you say that? Mine looks almost the same (it does go up on the left side of the photo, see below). I see a plug up on the top, right (which is lubricant-free). Is there another one?

Dang that’s some muck haha. His doesn’t look near as bad as yours. I’m also seeing where his drain plug is that the fluid seems to come from that area. Unless it’s getting sprayed up somehow. It stops right before the top of the drain plug too. Just a guess, easy way to find out too without dissembling the diff or waiting for a dealer apt.

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

IMG_2306.jpg
IMG_2307.jpg
IMG_2308.jpg
Yours looks like a pinion leak

B44FA1CB-A41D-4634-9642-28BFBC0F7378.jpeg

Sponsored

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Yeah, it goes up pretty high. I also went and looked and there's none around the plug.
I added a photo to my post. Normally a leaking case seal won’t allow this thick, oily crud gather and pool like it’s doing along your pinion seal area. Oil travels down and can spread out a bit from wind while driving. The heavy spot seems to be at your pinion from the photos. It’s thinner elsewhere till it reaches the point where it drips off the case. Common leak area. I’ve replaced a pinion seal at 20k. Idk just a thought.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I added a photo to my post. Normally a leaking case seal won’t allow this thick, oily crud gather and pool like it’s doing along your pinion seal area. Oil travels down and can spread out a bit from wind while driving. The heavy spot seems to be at your pinion from the photos. It’s thinner elsewhere till it reaches the point where it drips off the case. Common leak area. I’ve replaced a pinion seal at 20k. Idk just a thought.
What do you think about it being covered by warranty? If I end up paying for it, is it expensive?

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ford Bronco Front Diff Leaking - am I missing two bolts? B44FA1CB-A41D-4634-9642-28BFBC0F7378
After that convo with userdude. Maybe check your pinion seal as well? Where the driveshaft connects to front diff. Any leaking?

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My Jeep is cheap. Bronco was free and covered under warranty
Nice! I hope whatever this is, is covered. And if they can get to it by Friday, then I can go to Merus this weekend. Not holding my breath but maybe.
Sponsored