chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Shock skids install video is up on YouTube... and a great shot of the belly skids

Sponsored

Gene Dios

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's been a few months. How is the NVM system doing? Have you been putting it through its paces more? Do they do a good job of tucking up more than stock plates? Or do you lose some clearance?

OP
OP
chtucker

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
looks like a great set up, I love their plates and protection.

the sliders look a bit unfinished to me and a good place to trap dirt. but otherwise great products and quality from the looks of it.
They are great, no issues, Its hard to tell if I lost any clearance because of the extra weight that i have added (winch, mount, belly skids, sliders) etc. What I will say is that i creates an almost slick/smooth undercarriage where it is much, much harder for anything to get caught on. The UHMW is much more pleasurable than steel skids being dragged on rocks. You almost don't realize you are sitting on the skids. I also never need to worry about corrosion from scrapes. I do wish they upgraded the hardware to all stainless for the ultimate in corrosion protection, but I have Tef-Gelled all the threads and I have Fluid Filmed what is exposed.

Other than price.. which I admit is $$, but the quality of the welds, design and extent of the coverage is exceptional. I am a big believe of skids first, then lift.

PEGB

Badlands
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Eruption Green Badlands Sasquatch Hardtop 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Have you noticed any corrosion on the aluminum? These are next on my list and I’m wondering if I should pull off the UHMW and get the aluminum powder coated before installing.
While I’m not the OP, I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express…parking lot. Anyway, in this application, it’s very unlikely you would notice any corrosion on the Aluminum plate. While aluminum does corrode, it’s not in the typical steel sense. Aluminum reacts with the oxygen in the air, and creates its own protective film of oxides that interrupts future such reactions. When those oxides get removed through abrasion or chemical exposure (acids usually), the aluminum immediately starts the whole process over. This reaction cycle does consume trace (think microns) amounts of the surface aluminum, but it would take considerable time and repeated damage in the same area to notice these effects in this application. So, why are so many parts painted, powder coated, or anodized. Reasons vary and include things like special applications (acidic environments, boat hulls where the friction of the water or even electrolysis exasberates the problem, etc.), cosmetics, or even installation environment. I have a white water cat frame made of uncoated aluminum tubing. The oxides tend to wipe off and contaminate everything with a black residue, like my legs for example. Not really an issue under a Bronco. Now, there is one area that probably will rear its ugly head in say, maybe 10 years. Galvanic corrosion. This occurs when dissimilar materials (metals in this case) like to steal electrons from each other. Environmental factors and Ph play a role here, but I’m on my lunch break, so I’m trying to summarize. I’m totally skipping any mention of sacrificial engineered “solutions” and electrolysis. The stainless hardware that’s holding the UHMW on will eventually create corrosion between the two. You can mitigate the effects with certain products or possibly coatings(powder coating, painting, anodizing, neoprene/plastic washers, SuperLube, etc.), but you’ll only slow it down really. We’re all oxidizing. Cycle of life baby. How ironic, the thing protecting the surface of the aluminum (UHMW) will also contribute to its demise…waaaayyy down the road. Conversely, all of the mounting hardware (to bronco) and brackets appears to be steal, which doesn’t create as aggressive galvanic corrosion effect, but will corrode very quickly in the traditional sense in my environment. I had all the mild steel brackets powder coated by NVM and I’ll be likely replacing the hardware immediately with stainless and trying to apply superlube where practical. In the end, smashing aside, they’ll likely outlive the rest of my Bronco.
Good luck. Hope that helped you.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Roofus

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3/Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

While I’m not the OP, I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express…parking lot. Anyway, in this application, it’s very unlikely you would notice any corrosion on the Aluminum plate. While aluminum does corrode, it’s not in the typical steal sense. Aluminum reacts with the oxygen in the air, and creates its own protective film of oxides that interrupts future such reactions. When those oxides get removed through abrasion or chemical exposure (acids usually), the aluminum immediately starts the whole process over. This reaction cycle does consume trace (think microns) amounts of the surface aluminum, but it would take considerable time and repeated damage in the same area to notice these effects in this application. So, why are so many parts painted, powder coated, or anodized. Reasons vary and include things like special applications (acidic environments, boat hulls where the friction of the water or even electrolysis exasberates the problem, etc.), cosmetics, or even installation environment. I have a white water cat frame made of uncoated aluminum tubing. The oxides tend to wipe off and contaminate everything with a black residue, like my legs for example. Not really an issue under a Bronco. Now, there is one area that probably will rear its ugly head in say, maybe 10 years. Galvanic corrosion. This occurs when dissimilar materials (metals in this case) like to steal electrons from each other. Environmental factors and Ph play a role here, but I’m on my lunch break, so I’m trying to summarize. I’m totally skipping any mention of sacrificial engineered “solutions” and electrolysis. The stainless hardware that’s holding the UHMW on will eventually create corrosion between the two. You can mitigate the effects with certain products or possibly coatings(powder coating, painting, anodizing, neoprene/plastic washers, SuperLube, etc.), but you’ll only slow it down really. We’re all oxidizing. Cycle of life baby. How ironic, the thing protecting the surface of the aluminum (UHMW) will also contribute to its demise…waaaayyy down the road. Conversely, all of the mounting hardware (to bronco) and brackets appears to be steal, which doesn’t create as aggressive galvanic corrosion effect, but will corrode very quickly in the traditional sense in my environment. I had all the mild steel brackets powder coated by NVM and I’ll be likely replacing the hardware immediately with stainless and trying to apply superlube where practical. In the end, smashing aside, they’ll likely outlive the rest of my Bronco.
Good luck. Hope that helped you.
This was the TED talk I needed. (y)

Did NVM have an option for powder coating the steel brackets or did you call and make a special request?

PEGB

Badlands
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Special request. With the brackets and shock skids I think it was less than $200 to have it done, going from memory. I’ll unfortunately probably spend another couple hundred on stainless hardware. I’m currently in the Northeast. These people lay salt out like cake frosting. Such a departure from the North West where we lived last. Ug.

Check out these sexy beasts:
Ford Bronco Full review: Next Venture Motorsports sliders, belly, shock and diff skid UHMW IMG_0083

Belly and Rear Diff skids should be along shortly, not that it matters. I won’t mount them until spring. Save them at least one winter in this sodium bowl. If you’re thinking you want them this year, you might want to order soon. The wait is lengthy.

Roofus

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3/Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

These people lay salt out like cake frosting.
It's the same in the Swamp which was where my concern with corrosion initiated. My street is covered in a layer of salt for the snowstorm that never materialized Friday night. 🤣

PEGB

Badlands
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's the same in the Swamp which was where my concern with corrosion initiated. My street is covered in a layer of salt for the snowstorm that never materialized Friday night. 🤣
Most municipalities practice “Use or Lose“ budgeting strategies. If they don’t use it this year, they won’t get the money next year to buy the same amount, so they dump it often needlessly to justify next years expenditure. Oversimplification of the issue but not inaccurate either.

Roofus

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3/Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If I go with the NVM rear diff skid, can I comfortably skip purchasing the NVM rear diff cover? That rear diff skid is a beefy 3/8" steel and looks to cover the diff extremely well. The more I look at the pictures I'm struggling to think why I would need their diff cover if I ran the diff skid. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Sponsored

PEGB

Badlands
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If I go with the NVM rear diff skid, can I comfortably skip purchasing the NVM rear diff cover? That rear diff skid is a beefy 3/8" steel and looks to cover the diff extremely well. The more I look at the pictures I'm struggling to think why I would need their diff cover if I ran the diff skid. Thoughts?
I’m definitely not the pro in this realm, there are many here with more experience on this topic. What I will say, based on what I’ve learned from those folks here is; the diff cover offers a couple of advantages to the OEM piece. It allows for easier maintenance of the fluid, and likely some torsional stiffening. Beyond that there’s not much I can speak to. I will say I opted against it for now hoping to select one that will facilitate easier drainage, but an inexpensive fluid extractor would likely mitigate any issue there really. In the end I like their products so much, I’ll probably end up purchasing one anyway lol.

Roofus

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3/Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I’m definitely not the pro in this realm, there are many here with more experience on this topic. What I will say, based on what I’ve learned from those folks here is; the diff cover offers a couple of advantages to the OEM piece. It allows for easier maintenance of the fluid, and likely some torsional stiffening. Beyond that there’s not much I can speak to. I will say I opted against it for now hoping to select one that will facilitate easier drainage, but an inexpensive fluid extractor would likely mitigate any issue there really. In the end I like their products so much, I’ll probably end up purchasing one anyway lol.
yeah, I could see myself getting it down the road, but like I mentioned before (I think) we mainly overland in the mid Atlantic with occasional trips to VT, TN, GA. Maybe some stuff in the Ozarks next year. We just will never face the kind of stuff that the guys out west will deal with. The stuff I’m worried about is the unplanned/unforeseen on the trail that could be a day wrecker. I probably don’t really need NVM. But my approach with this vehicle has been to use the best parts, do it once and be done and have peace of mind. Additionally, I think NVM will last forever for my use case, and be better resale value for the next guy that really is looking for a purpose built vehicle.
Sponsored