Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Eruption Green Badlands Sasquatch Hardtop 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hello,

With Black Friday upon us, I’m getting ready to get some armor ordered, but I came across a potential problem. I’m bouncing between two sliders with most of the features I prefer. I like the RCI because of the rear bump out, and the LOD Signatures due to the bottom slide plates. Both seem to mount in a similar way with minimum catch points on the mounting brackets. Anyway, I’ve got the NVM belly armor in my cart but…. Will the sliders interfere or vice versa?

So, does anyone run the NVM belly armor and either of these rock sliders? If you’re running the NVM with something else, please let me know. I’ve decided against the NVM sliders for a couple of reasons, namely mounting type and drainage.

Thanks for any insight.
Sponsored

OP
OP

PEGB

Badlands
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nobody? Well, I guess I’ll have to be the guinea pig.

Squatched

Badlands
First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is a question I have wondered as well. I have the RCI sliders and in the future would love to do next ventures full belly skid

OP
OP

PEGB

Badlands
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes. From what I can gather there will be significant intererence. If I mount the sliders first, the NVM plates will hang lower, and sections that should mount flush against the frame will obviously not be doing so in places where there’s no slider mounting plates behind them.

If I mount belly skids first, then perhaps the bottom frame mount points will work, but then I’ll have to relocate the frame holes a 1/4”. Not sure there’s enough edge grip in either slider to accommodate that.

I may go with some compromise slider like the Rock Hard that uses some combination of factory mounting points, pinch seam, and additional brackets to body mounts. Not ideal, but maybe better than hacking either the sliders or the belly skids. The NVM’s are ordered. I’ll likely wait until I have them mounted to commit to a slider. Unfortunate to miss the Black Friday sales, but there’s always Fourth of July lol.

Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

On the NVM slides, no on the body mount and you've got a problem with how they drain water? (Making sure I follow.) I've wanted them for the UHMW, but have heard of some bending into the body (this may have been early on or prototypes) and also worry about the body mount. Hadn't thought of how they drain. Guess it'd be nice if we could get UHMW on the RCI slides.

OP
OP

PEGB

Badlands
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
On the NVM slides, no on the body mount and you've got a problem with how they drain water? (Making sure I follow.) I've wanted them for the UHMW, but have heard of some bending into the body (this may have been early on or prototypes) and also worry about the body mount. Hadn't thought of how they drain. Guess it'd be nice if we could get UHMW on the RCI slides.
Yeah. To me they aren’t really frame mounted, likely because they were trying to avoid the belly skids. I like how they have the bottom plate and the uhmw, but they’ve left the top open and where I live, it’s mud and rock. Those sliders will just scoop mud. I suppose if they did do a top plate, they might be a pain to clean.
I was interested in the LOD because it does provide a bottom plate and top step. I’m not thrilled how it appears they’ve used button head screws to affix the bottom plates, but I had fantasies of adding some UHMW to them anyway.
Typical scenario really. Hard to find the perfect solution with anything. First world problems lol.

Almost forgot, on the RCI’s you could buy a top plate and if it isn’t aluminum, just weld them to the bottom. Then mount UHMW to that plate. Probably a weekend project, but it’s not impossible. I’m thinking on the steel sliders the UHMW is more to do it than it really being needed. But on the aluminum skids it’s simply necessary.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah. To me they aren’t really frame mounted, likely because they were trying to avoid the belly skids. I like how they have the bottom plate and the uhmw, but they’ve left the top open and where I live, it’s mud and rock. Those sliders will just scoop mud. I suppose if they did do a top plate, they might be a pain to clean.
I was interested in the LOD because it does provide a bottom plate and top step. I’m not thrilled how it appears they’ve used button head screws to affix the bottom plates, but I had fantasies of adding some UHMW to them anyway.
Typical scenario really. Hard to find the perfect solution with anything. First world problems lol.

Almost forgot, on the RCI’s you could buy a top plate and if it isn’t aluminum, just weld them to the bottom. Then mount UHMW to that plate. Probably a weekend project, but it’s not impossible. I’m thinking on the steel sliders the UHMW is more to do it than it really being needed. But on the aluminum skids it’s simply necessary.
I mean, I guess one of us could figure out how to affix some UMHW to the RCI skids.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I mean, I guess one of us could figure out how to affix some UMHW to the RCI skids.

Not hard. Start with these into the slider/skid.......

Ford Bronco Next Venture Motorsports and rock rails/sliders 1700696396259

.....Then use this to screw the UMHW ( I prefer the term plastic because that is what it is, and besides there are like 5 acronyms for "plastic").

Ford Bronco Next Venture Motorsports and rock rails/sliders 1700696548756

.............It will be flush on the bottom. After the "plastic" has been damaged or just scarred up and needs replaced it is quite easy to service. Used in UTVs for some time now. This is what I plan on doing after I get my skids made. At my work we install bedliners in dump trucks and I just planned on using this "plastic" for the bottom of my skids. 😁

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I was going to go with them but the current deal for the Goat Fabs were just too good to pass up although I gave up having UMHW.

Sponsored

Tor148

First Edition
First Name
Tor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Braptor Bk, 21 FE RR, 15 F250,
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Yes. From what I can gather there will be significant intererence. If I mount the sliders first, the NVM plates will hang lower, and sections that should mount flush against the frame will obviously not be doing so in places where there’s no slider mounting plates behind them.

If I mount belly skids first, then perhaps the bottom frame mount points will work, but then I’ll have to relocate the frame holes a 1/4”. Not sure there’s enough edge grip in either slider to accommodate that.

I may go with some compromise slider like the Rock Hard that uses some combination of factory mounting points, pinch seam, and additional brackets to body mounts. Not ideal, but maybe better than hacking either the sliders or the belly skids. The NVM’s are ordered. I’ll likely wait until I have them mounted to commit to a slider. Unfortunate to miss the Black Friday sales, but there’s always Fourth of July lol.
You have read my mind! I have the full belly skids from NV, should have already been here but waiting on a piece of UHMW. I have been reaserching sids as well and I think RCI are the ones to get but I have the same concerns as you. I thinknthat the skids must go first but will there be enough 'meat' to re drill the side mounting plates. Have you reached out to RCI? I think i will send them an email and see what they say. Damn RCI skids are sitting in the cart just waiting for me to pull the trigger!!

OP
OP

PEGB

Badlands
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You have read my mind! I have the full belly skids from NV, should have already been here but waiting on a piece of UHMW. I have been reaserching sids as well and I think RCI are the ones to get but I have the same concerns as you. I thinknthat the skids must go first but will there be enough 'meat' to re drill the side mounting plates. Have you reached out to RCI? I think i will send them an email and see what they say. Damn RCI skids are sitting in the cart just waiting for me to pull the trigger!!
No, I haven’t reached out to RCI. I’m not sure what to even ask them. Most of their information is posted in their install pdf.

I’ll use this thread to document my thought process and ultimately my results. Part “thinking out loud”, part sharing my thought process for others, part soliciting others input.

I’ve spent a few hours this morning going over install PDF’s for all three (RCI, NVM, LOD). Most of the puzzle has to do with install sequence right now. Which goes first? The belly skids or the sliders? Deciding that dictates the next series of question's.

Having gone back and forth multiple times comparing features, hardware utilization, welds, mounting plate configurations etc., it really just comes down to this for me; the belly skids cover everything. If there’s ever work that needs to be done from the undercarriage side, they’ll have to be removed. I won’t get into how all these nut sticks/flag nuts are going to make that a bitch at this time, but that’s the situation. So that being what is is, I don’t want to have to remove the sliders first/also to do that, as would be required if I figured out how to mount the sliders OVER the belly skids. So there, one decision made…I think lol. Sliders then belly skids.

Now with that decided, it’s a matter of trying to figure out what holes are shared and where slider bolt heads are going to interfere with NVM flanges.

Unfortunately it’s been difficult to find a video showing all of the frame mounting points of the NVM. This one helped a little, if you can see past the…distractions lol.

and NVM’s undercarriage pics helps:
https://nextventuremotorsports.com/...ly-skids/products/bronco-aluminum-belly-skids

I wish I could find similar pics of the LOD’s or RCI’s mounted and showing entire bottom. That would save time and stress.

So far I think the front mounting points of either slider will be fine. I’m more worried about how the rear bottom frame mounts will interface with both the NVM frame flanges and the NVM crossmember bar connection point on the drivers side…

Tor148

First Edition
First Name
Tor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Braptor Bk, 21 FE RR, 15 F250,
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

No, I haven’t reached out to RCI. I’m not sure what to even ask them. Most of their information is posted in their install pdf.

I’ll use this thread to document my thought process and ultimately my results. Part “thinking out loud”, part sharing my thought process for others, part soliciting others input.

I’ve spent a few hours this morning going over install PDF’s for all three (RCI, NVM, LOD). Most of the puzzle has to do with install sequence right now. Which goes first? The belly skids or the sliders? Deciding that dictates the next series of question's.

Having gone back and forth multiple times comparing features, hardware utilization, welds, mounting plate configurations etc., it really just comes down to this for me; the belly skids cover everything. If there’s ever work that needs to be done from the undercarriage side, they’ll have to be removed. I won’t get into how all these nut sticks/flag nuts are going to make that a bitch at this time, but that’s the situation. So that being what is is, I don’t want to have to remove the sliders first/also to do that, as would be required if I figured out how to mount the sliders OVER the belly skids. So there, one decision made…I think lol. Sliders then belly skids.

Now with that decided, it’s a matter of trying to figure out what holes are shared and where slider bolt heads are going to interfere with NVM flanges.

Unfortunately it’s been difficult to find a video showing all of the frame mounting points of the NVM. This one helped a little, if you can see past the…distractions lol.

and NVM’s undercarriage pics helps:
https://nextventuremotorsports.com/...ly-skids/products/bronco-aluminum-belly-skids

I wish I could find similar pics of the LOD’s or RCI’s mounted and showing entire bottom. That would save time and stress.

So far I think the front mounting points of either slider will be fine. I’m more worried about how the rear bottom frame mounts will interface with both the NVM frame flanges and the NVM crossmember bar connection point on the drivers side…
I sent an email to RCI to see what they say. You made a great point about maintenance that i did not think about. I was always thinking skid first to be flush to frame rail. Your idea makes sense BUT I can see having that gap on the skid for stuff to get in as well as will the skid even mount correctly on top of the sliders? (I dont think it will) good link to the video it does show the skids mounted (as well as other 'distractions' lol!) So i think it is either go to body mount, whoch I really don't want to do, or modify sliders to fit over skids. Removing for maintenance is a pain but nit the end of the world to keep the skids in line. I also was thinking that maybe weld the skids to the frame and modify that way but I don't think that is a viable option.

I am glad you started the thread. I do the same 'think out loud' but also looking for helpful input. Hopefully Rci will come back with some helpful info and more so, I hope to have the skids in the next few weeks! All Tech emailed last night and said they are done tuning the Fox 2.5 and should ship on Monday. When they get here, I will put them in and the steering rack at the same time.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You will want to install the NVM skids over the sliders for serviceability.

I would avoid aluminum with uhmw if you plan for hardcore wheeling. NVM is okay but not heavy duty enough for the money. You will find that these systems slowly tweak and become extremely hard to service when needed. I will say Next Venture has last twice as long as my Metalcloak did. The kicker is the stock skids are in better shape than either. I would stick to flat skids, modular and steel(slides pretty good!).

For sliders frame mounted is the only way to go. So far RCI and Lod are my primary choice but I have a option to try ARB for a steal. Yet again factory sliders have been better than most of the aftermarket options.

RCI Transmission and Engine skids are a hard no for me. Ground clearance is the biggest battle to wheeling a bronco and they have massive spacers. I do run RCI transfer case skid and it is nice and tight(also has a rear brace)

I keep pushing Talon Skids for the transmission, good coverage and it will get you 2-3 years of service. This is the consumable skid as you will hit here before any place else. At some point something better will come out but for now Talon offers the best protection with the simplest design (very easy to service).

OP
OP

PEGB

Badlands
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well, I’m pretty sure getting the belly skid installed first is going to make getting the backside hardware in place for the sliders very difficult or impossible. Especially on the passenger side. I will say it appears that the LOD usage of nut sticks from the bottom or inside the frame might make it the easier of the two if you did belly skids first.
Also, if you do the skids first, sliders second, the bolt holes for their brackets along the outside face of the frame aren’t going to line up very well. They’ll end up a a 1/4” low. While I was considering which way I was going to go on the install sequence, I considered just having whoever I chose to send the mounting brackets unwelded to the slider I could just weld then where they ended up if installed over the top of the belly skid. That would be very difficult to do with the LOD’s as they have holes in their brackets for the square tubing that attaches the sliders to the bracket.

It looks to me that the front brackets of both slider manufacturers will miss the NVM’s entirely. The rear slider bracket might need to be cut around the NVM support bracket connection on the drivers side. That shouldn’t noticeably weaken the structure any. But I won’t know for sure without more pictures or having them laying in front of me.

correction: the metaltech is mostly all ubolts and frame. I think it’s the Rock Hard that’s body and u-bolt like the ARB. They’re all starting to get tangled in my head lol.
Sponsored

Last edited: