Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am considering putting a hoist in my garage. I have a rather low ceiling so that is one issue, looking for a way to hoist with the back window not opened. Has anyone used a half roof rack as the lifting point? I have a 2 door, would that make a difference? Will lifting using a rack damage the MIC top?
Sponsored

GI_Jo_Nathan

Black Diamond
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Iconic Silver 2dr Manual Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My 2 door top is hanging by one wide hook strap at the rear roof rack slot. Hangs close to level.

BigSkyBronco

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited - '96 Toyota FZJ80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My 2 door top is hanging by one wide hook strap at the rear roof rack slot. Hangs close to level.
Hoping you can let 2DR owners like me know which strap you have and where you got it! Any pics?

OP
OP
Acadist

Acadist

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

To me; the strap is not the issue if it safe to lift from the roof rack, but I have been considering the Tie Boss. Anyone use that one?

GI_Jo_Nathan

Black Diamond
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Iconic Silver 2dr Manual Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hoping you can let 2DR owners like me know which strap you have and where you got it! Any pics?
These are the best pics I have on me right now. The strap was this one from northern tool. They show not available right now but you can find similar lots of places.
https://www.northerntool.com/produc...ft-10-000-lb-capacity-yellow-model-4778-84620

I originally was going to lift by the rear crossbar of the roof rack, but there was so much flex between the roof rack and the top that I wasn't comfortable with it.

Also I chose not to store the front roof pieces with it. I didn't want any extra weight up there just in case.

20231104_142021.jpg

20231104_142031.jpg

Screenshot_20240522_130758_Chrome.jpg

Sponsored

HotLap

Outer Banks
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor and 2019 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I’ve had exceptional service with my Harkin Hoister set up. Can remove/install the hardtop (SOLO) in less than 20 minutes, highly recommend!

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am planning on a harbor freight hoist. I have a Hooke Road half rack, and I see no issue with lifting from the rack, and plan to.

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would keep an eye out for any separation of the top piece from the side pieces when lifting from the rack locations. From a few pics that I saw people posting of lifting that way, I opted to not do so as the gaps were more than I felt comfortable with. Remember the MIC top is a resin infused cardboard honeycomb structure sandwiched between two sheets of plastic that has a history of being prone to stress cracking and warping. Not very confidence inspiring to be hanging around by the rack slots IMO.

OP
OP
Acadist

Acadist

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would keep an eye out for any separation of the top piece from the side pieces when lifting from the rack locations. From a few pics that I saw people posting of lifting that way, I opted to not do so as the gaps were more than I felt comfortable with. Remember the MIC top is a resin infused cardboard honeycomb structure sandwiched between two sheets of plastic that has a history of being prone to stress cracking and warping. Not very confidence inspiring to be hanging around by the rack slots IMO.
Makes sense, but along the same lines wouldn’t a half rack be completely useless? Any weight on it and a good bump in the road could possibly damage the MIC top?

Sponsored

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Makes sense, but along the same lines wouldn’t a half rack be completely useless? Any weight on it and a good bump in the road could possibly damage the MIC top?
That's also the reason I took the rack off of my order when people started having issues with the tops failing. I'm certainly not having it hanging around suspended by only the top section.

Mscdman

Outer Banks
First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
What difference would it make if you listed from the rack points or used the straps going underneath and around solution?!

Either way you have a lift force only on the top shell and the legs are unsupported and are subject to your concern.

HeliPilot

Badlands
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.7L SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nearly 2 years hanging mine. No issues with the Lange hoist. Takes me less than 10 minutes to remove or install using my electric ratchet .
Ford Bronco Garage Hoist Question IMG_9808
Ford Bronco Garage Hoist Question IMG_9807

Mscdman

Outer Banks
First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Heli yours looks very level. Wondering if you me have the same results if instead of backing up to remove top you had the winch on the opposite side wall so you could drive in straight

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What difference would it make if you listed from the rack points or used the straps going underneath and around solution?!

Either way you have a lift force only on the top shell and the legs are unsupported and are subject to your concern.
My concern was from the photos of people lifting from just the two rear slits and there being a noticeable widening of the gap at those points. Straps going underneath spread the load out more evenly IMO.

Ideally it would be best to support from the bottom after lifting but maybe I'm just overly cautious with the MIC top and all the issues it has had.
Sponsored