First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Iā€™m in the same situation as you guys, but I bumped up to the Badlands to get my damn heated seats. While I was there I went up to the high package for the 12ā€ screen, 360 cameras, forward parking sensors, and mirror LED lights. For the extra $1295 the high package is a relative bargain. There probably wonā€™t be too many manual transmission high package Broncos built. I thought about the next $2295 for Lux, but I donā€™t know how well the adaptive cruise control will work on a manual and I didnā€™t care for the B&O stereo option. Heated steering wheel and the garage door opener were the only Lux options I would want.

I have a second reservation to order a 2022, but I wanted to wait until my 2021 (with vin) is delivered to see what I would change. Iā€™m debating on flipping the 2021 when it arrives. Honestly a base with aftermarket seat heaters would probably fit my needs just fine.

OP
OP
tourproto

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I went through the same debate. Ultimately picked Black Diamond as well.

Honestly, the only thing in mid package that I even halfway care about is heated seats. And you can add those yourself aftermarket for way less than $1,500.
I would love to know how heated seats can be added aftermarket if u would be kind enough to share!

long_road

Big Bend
First Name
TR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
202? 4dr CG Big Bend 2.3 7MT (Ordered)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I would love to know how heated seats can be added aftermarket if u would be kind enough to share!
I put a pair of these in each seat of my current Jeep LJ. It's a fairly simple process if you're at all "handy" with working on cars. Getting the seat upholstery off just requires some patience (and likely hog rings/pliers). Running the wires/switches is as routine as wiring anything else.

I find that these aftermarket heaters heat up faster and hotter than any stock seat heaters I've had.

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am in a similar boat.

The reason why is simply because there aren't enough manual transmission users left. The more options Ford offers, the higher manufacturing costs are. If Ford could build every Bronco exactly the same, they would, as that would minimize their costs. The game Ford is trying to play is having enough options so people buy the Bronco, but not so many that development & manufacturing costs become too high. It's a balancing act that's impossible to get right.

Generally speaking there are two types of manual transmission users:
  1. Those that are cost-conscious, in which case they won't be buying the mid package anyway.
  2. Those that are enthusiast. Those type of people will probably be buying the Badlands trim.
So that's why Ford has the options setup the way they are. Obviously there are people (like you and me) that are somewhere in the middle, but there aren't enough of us for Ford to offer that as a buildable option. They are betting on the fact that people in the middle will likely bump up to the Badlands trim. So we get screwed.

To be fair to Ford, every other car manufacturer does the exact same thing. This isn't a Ford-only problem. But it is very frustrating as a manual transmission user.

---

For me personally... I wanted a Black Diamond with front and rear lockers. Didn't care about sway-bar disconnect. No problem... I can just get the Sasquatch package on Black Diamond. Except the Sasquatch package for the manual transmission effectively forces you to pay for an automatic transmission... which is insane. So instead I'm forced to buy a 4-door Badlands and get a bunch of stuff I don't want.
THIS!

It's not just as simple as simple as throwing in the same parts in different combinations. Everything in a modern vehicle requires a control module to run and those control modules group options together. It doesn't make any sense to make special control modules for a combination that only a few people will order. Just because they offer a BL with a manual and a mid package doesn't mean that the same parts would work for a BD with a manual for a mid package.

I don't think you're gonna see a huge grown swell of support to get Ford to do this like there was for the Man-squatch....

Sponsored

Compta38

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Welcome to the club...I had to jump 2 trim levels to Badlands just to get mgv and high package. Why is just high package not offered on BD? $$$$ that's why.

GTPrincessa

Black Diamond
First Name
Cynthia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 GT Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Welcome to the club...I had to jump 2 trim levels to Badlands just to get mgv and high package. Why is just high package not offered on BD? $$$$ that's why.
True story

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Outback, '79 2G, '89 3G, '92 5G White!
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

OK lemme get this straight. I have tried to analyze the differences between the BL and the BD in a 4 door config and maybe it is just me but I am a little irritated at the process and the issue revolves around getting the Mid-package with a manual transmission.

So to get a Mid-Package with a Manual Transmission in a 4-door I have to pay for the following extra in a BL (because I won't swap to an auto in a BD)

Electronic-Locking Front Axle (don't want anyway)
Front Stabilizer Bar Disconnect (don't want anyway)
LED Headlamps with LED Signature Lighting (instead of basic LED headlamps in a BD)
HOSS Suspension System with Bilstein PSDs (instead of basic HOSS Suspension in a BD)

And I lose Hill Descent Control

And I lose the black steelie wheels from the BD which I think are really cool

The BD with Advanced 4x4 and no other options is $41.480
The BL with zero options is $46,730

So in order to be able to get the Mid-Package ($1495) I have to get a BL and spend another $5K for 4 things I don't want, and give up the Hill Descent Control and the black steelie wheels? This sucks.

I just want a friggin Mid-package on a 4 door manual BD and instead of spending $1495 I have to spend almost $6500???

Am I understanding this correctly? This experience is less than joyful. Why make the Mid-package only available with an auto and not a manual?
I went through the same deal, although I am an auto driver. Just buy the BD and spend the overage on what you want. I went Base, but when I sold my house I wished I had gone at least BD if not BL for the suspension. Lucky me, I found someone putting new suspension on a badlands and will be buying their BL Bilsteins hella cheap. Still no locking rear though, and I know the day will come and I will regret my OCD cheapness.

OP
OP
tourproto

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
THIS!

It's not just as simple as simple as throwing in the same parts in different combinations. Everything in a modern vehicle requires a control module to run and those control modules group options together. It doesn't make any sense to make special control modules for a combination that only a few people will order. Just because they offer a BL with a manual and a mid package doesn't mean that the same parts would work for a BD with a manual for a mid package.

I don't think you're gonna see a huge grown swell of support to get Ford to do this like there was for the Man-squatch....
There was a prior response that when buying the Man-Squatch as you call it :) you are still paying for the auto even though you are getting the manual. So apparently they can "delete" the auto and revert back to a manual Ford wants to, and the buyer does not get the $$$ difference.

So there are instances where they **could** do something, but as you and others have stated, Ford probably won't. I am 95% going with the BD and will find a way to add on what I like from the Mid package after the fact. Even if I end up spending the same $6K I would actually prefer that because the stuff that comes with the BL I really don't want at all on my vehicle and in all likelihood, will not need it either.

Sponsored
OP
OP
tourproto

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I went with the manual BD. Like you, I love the steelies and "utilitarian" look of the BD. For the price, the BD is the only trim that shares some of the same options as the BL, ie: rock rails, full bash plates, steel front & rear bumpers..........and it will be more than adequate for the type of off-roading we will be doing.
I also would have liked the mid pkg, but wasn't worth giving up the manual trans, or the steelies.
Honestly, I've been BD from day one and she is now in my driveway.......no regrets.
Having real angst around not having many of the features in mid and the hassle of figuring out how to add it after the fact (heated seats, visor lights, 110v outlet, and getting smaller steelie wheels)

GTPrincessa

Black Diamond
First Name
Cynthia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 GT Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Having real angst around not having many of the features in mid and the hassle of figuring out how to add it after the fact (heated seats, visor lights, 110v outlet, and getting smaller steelie wheels)
While I would have liked some of those mid package features, they weren't something I felt I needed enough to sway me away from the BD. I'm a less is more kind of girl, but that's just me. It sounds like those features are a more important part of what you may want in your vehicle. This is a big purchase, and you should enjoy it, not have angst about it. You don't want to get into your truck everyday wishing you had gotten something different. Not everyone likes to upfit their rigs on their own, or has the work space to do it either. Bottom line is, it's what it is worth to you.
There's a saying........"think long, think wrong". Good luck with your decision, can't wait to hear which way you go.

OP
OP
tourproto

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There's a saying........"think long, think wrong". Good luck with your decision, can't wait to hear which way you go.
I am definitely getting into "analysis paralysis" mode here. Part of it is this may very well be my last car ever. I am not THAT old, but I keep my cars for a LONG time. First car was the OG Acura Integra. Put 300K miles on it and might still have it, if it wasn't totaled by the Dept of Transportation. 2nd car (that I still have) is a BMW E46 330i. Only 160K miles (I spend most of my time on airplanes these days, or at least I did pre-COVID). About 18 years for both cars. I am not counting the Ford Country Squire that was my first hand-me down :) Another 18 years puts me at an age that is past both of my parents.

Again, it isn't about the money, I can easily afford a BD or BL. I just don't like paying for things I don't want/need just to get some things I do want. I have been pinging a few folks to try to understand what would be involved in adding some of the Mid things I like after the fact.

I am putting more emotion into this than buying my last house :)

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I am definitely getting into "analysis paralysis" mode here.... I am putting more emotion into this than buying my last house
Once you have placed your order you will feel at peace and all will be well. ā˜®(y)

but then after you get your production date from Ford , you'll start second guessing yourself and thinking you may have ordered the wrong thing and the heart palpitations will set in and you'll be freaking out..

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am definitely getting into "analysis paralysis" mode here. Part of it is this may very well be my last car ever. I am not THAT old, but I keep my cars for a LONG time. First car was the OG Acura Integra. Put 300K miles on it and might still have it, if it wasn't totaled by the Dept of Transportation. 2nd car (that I still have) is a BMW E46 330i. Only 160K miles (I spend most of my time on airplanes these days, or at least I did pre-COVID). About 18 years for both cars. I am not counting the Ford Country Squire that was my first hand-me down :) Another 18 years puts me at an age that is past both of my parents.

Again, it isn't about the money, I can easily afford a BD or BL. I just don't like paying for things I don't want/need just to get some things I do want. I have been pinging a few folks to try to understand what would be involved in adding some of the Mid things I like after the fact.

I am putting more emotion into this than buying my last house :)
In the situation of someone buying a 10+ year vehicle I would go with the Black Diamond and avoid the extra tech. The tech will get outdated, broken, and generally make the vehicle less fun to own and drive as it ages, so go simple and donā€™t worry about it.

I have kept vehicles as long as 23 years in the case of my 1987 Bronco, or as short as 6 weeks in the case of my 2020 Raptor. I donā€™t see myself keeping my 2021 Bronco for 10+ years unless they drop the manual transmission option. Iā€™ll probably want to upgrade before the truck is out of the 8 year extended warranty Iā€™m going to purchase, then Iā€™ll buy what strikes my fancy at the time. It may be another Bronco, or my needs may have changed and I decide to get a pickup or high line SUV. Realistically my next vehicle after the Bronco will be electric.

I have a second reservation for another Bronco, the temptation is there to order a base model as the 20 year keeper and put my Badlands up for sale. I wonā€™t be able to make that call until the Badlands arrives, fortunately I have a vin for week of 11/15 build.
Sponsored