Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Explorer ST | 23 Challenger SP 1320
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes you are correct, hence why I said both the 2.3L and 2.7L alternators are not in the ideal spot for off-road vehicles. But it is still physically higher off the ground on the 2.3L than the 2.7L by several inches. They have it mounted slightly below the crankshaft on the 2.7L. Basically in-line with the lowest part of the engine.

1695834596971.png

For Everglades I can't say for certain obviously, haven't talked to the engineers. My two best guesses are either the alternator location or the added weight of the winch (or maybe both?). But admittedly speculation on my part either way.
Thanks for the share. Dumb to put there. My old Xterra had one in a similar spot. Had to remove & replace blind. There was so much cussing from my drive way it just sounded like a long BBBBBBBBBEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPP.
Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The alternator on the 2.3 is at the bottom of the engine, well below the safe fording depth of a regular Bronco, so I can't fathom why it would matter with the Everglades. Submerged is submerged rather being 4 inches or 6 inches.

This is just my take, but the problem with the location is the splashing. What has killed everyone's alternator is getting grime in between the bristles.

So even though the 2.3 is only slightly in a different spot, maybe it's enough that is not as susceptible to the splash Factor.

After all, Ford's fix is a different splash shield to keep things from coming in from underneath and getting into the alternator.

Strizzo

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus GX460, 1966 Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Same thing where I live. It doesn’t feel like an exaggeration to say that half the 4-door Wranglers I see around my neighborhood are 4xe. This seemed to happen overnight.
if you have access to the mopar affiliate pricing, the cost for a 4xe wasn’t much more than the v6, and I believe very close to the diesel, plus it might have been eligible for tax credits. I think that’s what pushed a lot of those sales

TopRecon

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2D Basesquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
The chances of a Bronco pickup were already slim being that Ford already has an offroading mid-sized pickup in the Ranger Raptor, seeing how far Gladiator sales are lagging behind the Wrangler's has probably put the nail in that coffin.
Sponsored