Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I bought a couple of these: https://www.trailrax.com/collection...ducts/ford-bronco-trail-sight-accessory-mount

One for ham and one for GMRS theoretically. I haven't installed anything yet, and it will be a while until I do so.

I realize that antennas on the trail sights won't be for everyone, but it's an option at least. And the signal will be best up front.
Thanks, I have that too but for a whip flag. I guess i should’ve specified a lip mount
Sponsored

Baja71

Badlands
First Name
tw
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Stroppe Baja Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here you go https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_plane
In other word the hood is not going to reflect anything useful unless it is electrically connected to antenna system.

BTW I might be wrong about scratching paint for antenna connection. At least on my radio Ground wire is electrically connected to the shield int the radio itself (see photo bellow.)
From your source:
In telecommunication, a ground plane is a flat or nearly flat horizontal conducting surface that serves as part of an antenna, to reflect the radio waves from the other antenna elements. The plane does not necessarily have to be connected to ground.

That said, I think you would be hard pressed to find a hood that wasn’t electrically connected to a body ground.

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

bought the trailrax or however it is spelled front sight mount and plan on putting the midland stubby on it. I plan on leaving the mount on the trail sight and taking off the midland stubby and store it in the glove box or pouch on the molle tailgate panel.

Sponsored

nineagel

Badlands
First Name
Oleg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado ZR2, Bronco BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
From your source:
In telecommunication, a ground plane is a flat or nearly flat horizontal conducting surface that serves as part of an antenna, to reflect the radio waves from the other antenna elements. The plane does not necessarily have to be connected to ground.

That said, I think you would be hard pressed to find a hood that wasn’t electrically connected to a body ground.

Thanks for pointing this. I probably missed this part. I’m new to this, so trying to figure out.
My understanding was that the shield of a coax should have electrical connection with ground plane. This is what I meant by “whole body is s a ground plane”.

Baja71

Badlands
First Name
tw
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Stroppe Baja Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for pointing this. I probably missed this part. I’m new to this, so trying to figure out.
My understanding was that the shield of a coax should have electrical connection with ground plane. This is what I meant by “whole body is s a ground plane”.
The radio is electrically grounded to your battery, which is grounded to your chassis. The antenna is grounded to your vehicle body, which is grounded to your chassis. You still need to mount the antenna near a ground plane (reflector), ie. the hood, roof, etc.

Baja71

Badlands
First Name
tw
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Stroppe Baja Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Depends on the antenna
That was a direct response to Ninagel regarding the difference between a ground plane vs a ground. Not a global statement, to be taken out of context, of the the installation of all varieties of all RF electronic devices in perpetuity. :geek:

Last edited:

KompressorV12

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It could.. There are two lower bump stops on the bottom of the tailgate at the 5 and 7 o’clock positions that made contact with the spare when mounted. I no longer make contact there.
Everything is pretty beef and I’m not worried about it, if I see anything I don’t like, I’ll space the bump stops as well.
How do you intend on spacing the bump stop?

Sponsored

Raptor18

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F-250 Tremor, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

How do you intend on spacing the bump stop?
Yes. Taking @BroncoKong Jr. ’s advise. I’ll measure the inside diameter of the bump stops and extend by inserting some PVC tube into the existing stops and cap the PVC.
The caps I may use chair leg floor protectors

Ford Bronco GMRS Radio install? Antenna and mic location 1647653246899

OP
OP
Quick

Quick

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Yes. Taking @BroncoKong Jr. ’s advise. I’ll measure the inside diameter of the bump stops and extend by inserting some PVC tube into the existing stops and cap the PVC.
The caps I may use chair leg floor protectors

Ford Bronco GMRS Radio install? Antenna and mic location 1647653246899
im not sure if the mounting type is the same as a wrangler, but they have adjustable ones that you can cut for pretty cheap. Might be worth a try.

KompressorV12

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You don’t have to mod the jeep mount others are talking about.
As far as using the jeep mount on the sas, a wheel spacer cures it. I did a 1.25” spacer but you could probably get away with a 1”.

FD81FC79-9383-4002-B581-3EB4BFC1B928.jpeg

165C7DD1-B046-4D21-89B3-EAB9C7567265.jpeg
FYI I did the spacer install today. I went with 1” and I bet I could get away with .75” as shown from the pics. I’m planning on installing the JCR tailgate table so I didn’t run the antenna from cargo to mount yet but it’s run to the steering column ready to go. I’m going to extend my bump stops 1” but I don’t see how that adds any type of protection from the additional torque the spacer creates. I just talked to a guy who has been running a 37” tire with about 35# of additional gear on a non reinforced hinge and wheeling pretty hard. He has a height relocation bracket but nothing else yet and says he’s had no issue with the added weight. I guess I’ll just cross my fingers lol. The setup looks awesome

Ford Bronco GMRS Radio install? Antenna and mic location 01FB1538-3A0B-4DE9-B094-4D54C6F89139

Ford Bronco GMRS Radio install? Antenna and mic location 8A490BA5-AAA8-49D6-B4C8-01A1E3ABCD22

Ford Bronco GMRS Radio install? Antenna and mic location 3E8F1E9A-2CAB-4655-9C56-44A5BDA1A25D

8D26BA33-84E5-4B3D-AA2E-DE98B78EBAB7.jpeg

Raptor18

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F-250 Tremor, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

FYI I did the spacer install today. I went with 1” and I bet I could get away with .75” as shown from the pics. I’m planning on installing the JCR tailgate table so I didn’t run the antenna from cargo to mount yet but it’s run to the steering column ready to go. I’m going to extend my bump stops 1” but I don’t see how that adds any type of protection from the additional torque the spacer creates. I just talked to a guy who has been running a 37” tire with about 35# of additional gear on a non reinforced hinge and wheeling pretty hard. He has a height relocation bracket but nothing else yet and says he’s had no issue with the added weight. I guess I’ll just cross my fingers lol. The setup looks awesome

Ford Bronco GMRS Radio install? Antenna and mic location 8D26BA33-84E5-4B3D-AA2E-DE98B78EBAB7

Ford Bronco GMRS Radio install? Antenna and mic location 8D26BA33-84E5-4B3D-AA2E-DE98B78EBAB7

Looks great!!
Perfect spot for an antenna, the Bronco looks made for that antenna. 1” spacer might be the best only due to thread length of the stock lug threads. The wheel looks like there is room for the threads, so maybe ¾” it would be really close, I’m tempted to order and try lol

KompressorV12

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks great!!
Perfect spot for an antenna, the Bronco looks made for that antenna. 1” spacer might be the best only due to thread length of the stock lug threads. The wheel looks like there is room for the threads, so maybe ¾” it would be really close, I’m tempted to order and try lol
Report back lol
Sponsored