Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Can you replicate the rattle by moving the tailgate by hand or only when driving?
Sponsored

Frangiepod

Badlands
First Name
Angela
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands Sasquatch 4 dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

At around 300 miles in, my Bronco has developed a pretty gnarly rattle from the tailgate.

I will try to get a recording, but it is very loud and easily reproducible by driving basically any distance.

I had someone ride in the cargo area and they said it’s coming from within the tailgate itself, like metal pinging against metal. Not near hinges, latches, or where the tailgate interacts with the hard top window seal. I popped the accessory ready cover off on the inside of the tailgate and there are only some small holes into the interior of the tailgate, so no way to reach your hand in there or anything and it’s unclear how it could be disassembled any further, given it’s metal sandwiched together.

Ford dealership service departments around here aren’t rated well at all, and since they likely haven’t troubleshot many/any Broncos yet, I’m thinking about waiting and continuing to see if I can remediate before asking them to deal with it. Not sure how long I can go though, because it’s VERY loud!

Anyone with service manuals able to provide any insight? Is there better access from behind the spare tire? Not sure I would feel comfortable doing much more myself, but if there’s a quick and easy way in I may give it a shot..:
Ive got the same issue. Started pretty much right after i got it. Gonna try taking the tailgate access panel off to see what’s what.

OP
OP

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Ive got the same issue. Started pretty much right after i got it. Gonna try taking the tailgate access panel off to see what’s what.
The main one across the top has just tiny holes behind it in metal, not enough to see what’s going on in there.

I haven’t tried the plastic panel closer to the door latch though…

does yours sound like some sort of metal pinging on something else metal? I’m happy to hear I may not be alone (though sorry you’re part of the club)

Frangiepod

Badlands
First Name
Angela
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The main one across the top has just tiny holes behind it in metal, not enough to see what’s going on in there.

does yours sound like some sort of metal pinging on something else metal? I’m happy to hear I may not be alone (though sorry you’re part of the club)
Yes it's a metal sound. Loud. Tick, tick, tick random not a pattern. Really annoying. I hate rattles. Hope we can get this figured out... Had someone ride in the back too and they said it was the tailgate passenger side.

Max1h

Badlands
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F-150, 1968 ford bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

if its A squeaky raddle could be the hinge/latch, my f150 tailgate started rattling was as simple as spraying wd40 into the latch.

Sponsored
OP
OP

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Yes it's a metal sound. Loud. Tick, tick, tick random not a pattern. Really annoying. I hate rattles. Hope we can get this figured out... Had someone ride in the back too and they said it was the tailgate passenger side.
Yes, toward the passenger side.

And you’re right, it’s so random. Sometimes I’m like “oh, these bumps in the road will trigger it” and then it doesn’t do it, but I’ll be on smooth ground and turn a bit and it will go off

Frangiepod

Badlands
First Name
Angela
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

if its A squeaky raddle could be the hinge/latch, my f150 tailgate started rattling was as simple as spraying wd40 into the latch.
Doesn't sound like a squeak so much as a metal "ticking". I do hope it's as simple as some WD40 though!

OP
OP

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Doesn't sound like a squeak so much as a metal "ticking". I do hope it's as simple as some WD40 though!
Yes, my partner said it sounded as though something metal was suspended by a string bouncing off the exterior panels lol

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Check the hinge, latch and striker bolts to make sure all are tight.

JTK37

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW Golf R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

same issue for me and also started around 300miles. I did remove the plastic near the tail gate latch. There is a decent size cavity to clear the latch. But no sign of what could be rattling.

and I snapped one of the tabs off the back of the plastic cover. Probably going to make the rattle worse. Great. if anyone Know where I can find that part number lemme know

Sponsored

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

if it is a ticking sound, it may be gravel hitting the floor pan.. some vehicles in order to save weight don't use much sound deadening mats...

OP
OP

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
if it is a ticking sound, it may be gravel hitting the floor pan.. some vehicles in order to save weight don't use much sound deadening mats...
It’s not that

the sound has been unquestionably pinpointed to from within the tailgate, and not related to hinge or latch

Frangiepod

Badlands
First Name
Angela
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It’s not that

the sound has been unquestionably pinpointed to from within the tailgate, and not related to hinge or latch
Agreed. Still no luck finding the source.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It’s not that

Have you removed that plastic cover on the tailgate and driven around with it off? Sometimes plastic rubbing on stuff makes the most annoying sound. Curious if that entire piece is the issue.

This is driving me nuts, and it’s not even my vehicle. For the love of God, please take it to the dealership to get answers!!! :ROFLMAO:

Frangiepod

Badlands
First Name
Angela
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Have you removed that plastic cover on the tailgate and driven around with it off? Sometimes plastic rubbing on stuff makes the most annoying sound. Curious if that entire piece is the issue.

This is driving me nuts, and it’s not even my vehicle. For the love of God, please take it to the dealership to get answers!!! :ROFLMAO:
Not yet but that's next. Stay tuned.
Sponsored