Sponsored

Got Stuck in Desert for Hours Because Bronco 4x4 System got Temporarily Disabled for no Obvious Reason

Summit981

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Cayman, MINI GP2, MINI Countryman
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

UPDATE: Unfortunately things got worst. The Bronco completely died today (Nov 26, 2023) while going to get tacos 2 miles from home. This post has all the details and a video to proof it. This car only has 9k miles

I bought a used 2022 Bronco WildTrak with 8k miles on it. I love the exterior and interior looks of the vehicle, the comfort, etc except I just can't trust the car off-roading anymore. It just hasn't been reliable.

I went off-roading solo in one of the desert trails outside Vegas. Its an easy trail (rated 3/10 difficulty on ONX ), total driving time was supposed to be about 2 hrs to and fro and its mostly sand and gravel with a little rocky steep patch not longer than 10 feet and about 15 degrees incline. I drove in and it was all smooth but on my way back my Bronco suddenly reported an error, "4x4 Temporarily disabled". There was no obvious signs that could have caused this. I didn't hit/scrape any rocks and had only driven about an hour. Due to this I wasn't able to climb a small sand hill because I never had enough traction. Since the hill was small i decided to drive around it which meant going of the trail, its the desert so I wasn't blocked by any trees but the path was rocky and with 2WD it was quite the ordeal. I'd keep lifting a tire in the air, stop, then stack rocks under the tire so I could continue. This would have been super easy with 4WD but due to this my return which was to be about an hour took 3 hours.

I have tried to Google the issue, it can be caused by several factors and overheating is one of them. It was 70 degrees Fahrenheit out and I only drove for about an hour with my max speed being 40 mph, no hitting rocks or super steep climbs. If that alone is enough to overheat the 4x4 system how can I even trust this thing to go overlonding?

If its not overheating what can cause an 8k mile bronco fail this bad at the one thing its supposed to do? Have any people dealt with this, I wonder how common it might be? I've seen threads in other forums about this without the driver even going off-road.

Funny thing is the 4x4 system was renabled about 15 mins after I got out of the desert and was back on the highway.

EDIT: Based on how often this happens and in not so challenging situations I think the statement "A jeep will take you there, but a Toyota will take you there and back" should be updated. It should include the fact that a Bronco won't even get you there. This car seems to have been designed for mall crawlers.

Summit981

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So after Ford contacted you last week (Post #29) and asked for your vehicle info, what has happened since then?

TEAMSLO

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
23' Bronco 2.7 4d Oxford White & 22' JLURD
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
UPDATE: Unfortunately things got worst. The Bronco completely died today (Nov 26, 2023) while going to get tacos 2 miles from home. This post has all the details and a video to proof it. This car only has 9k miles

I bought a used 2022 Bronco WildTrak with 8k miles on it. I love the exterior and interior looks of the vehicle, the comfort, etc except I just can't trust the car off-roading anymore. It just hasn't been reliable.

I went off-roading solo in one of the desert trails outside Vegas. Its an easy trail (rated 3/10 difficulty on ONX ), total driving time was supposed to be about 2 hrs to and fro and its mostly sand and gravel with a little rocky steep patch not longer than 10 feet and about 15 degrees incline. I drove in and it was all smooth but on my way back my Bronco suddenly reported an error, "4x4 Temporarily disabled". There was no obvious signs that could have caused this. I didn't hit/scrape any rocks and had only driven about an hour. Due to this I wasn't able to climb a small sand hill because I never had enough traction. Since the hill was small i decided to drive around it which meant going of the trail, its the desert so I wasn't blocked by any trees but the path was rocky and with 2WD it was quite the ordeal. I'd keep lifting a tire in the air, stop, then stack rocks under the tire so I could continue. This would have been super easy with 4WD but due to this my return which was to be about an hour took 3 hours.

I have tried to Google the issue, it can be caused by several factors and overheating is one of them. It was 70 degrees Fahrenheit out and I only drove for about an hour with my max speed being 40 mph, no hitting rocks or super steep climbs. If that alone is enough to overheat the 4x4 system how can I even trust this thing to go overlonding?

If its not overheating what can cause an 8k mile bronco fail this bad at the one thing its supposed to do? Have any people dealt with this, I wonder how common it might be? I've seen threads in other forums about this without the driver even going off-road.

Funny thing is the 4x4 system was renabled about 15 mins after I got out of the desert and was back on the highway.

EDIT: Based on how often this happens and in not so challenging situations I think the statement "A jeep will take you there, but a Toyota will take you there and back" should be updated. It should include the fact that a Bronco won't even get you there. This car seems to have been designed for mall crawlers.
Apologies if this was already asked, did you happen to be in 4 auto? If so, have you tried keeping it in 2wd on asphalt and 4h on dirt instead of 4auto?

Qarlos

Wildtrak
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Jury is out on this #29 fuse trick. The OP is driving a UAE spec truck, may not be the same configuration as US spec.
I'm pretty sure our rigs are identical to yours in the North American market. At least I'd be surprised if fuses were configured differently. I hadn't heard of the fuse 29 trick, but plan to try it the next time this happens to me.

A few weeks ago I intentionally was running at a high tire pressure, like 18 or 20 psi, in soft sand to see how she handled it and got pretty stuck. I got a 4x4 fault and an ABS fault. I let her cool down a bit, then stopped and restarted. That didn't clear it, but I managed to get out and after a couple of minutes driving on a flat all was well.

Sponsored

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

This is almost as required in a Bronco toolkit as tie rod tools. I need to remember to bring the thing along more often.
another trick is to just buy a USB obd2 blue tooth port module and install Torque app on your cell phone. it can read/clear codes. the dongle is super small and just throw it in the glove box or center console.

OP
OP

Black Bronk

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So after Ford contacted you last week (Post #29) and asked for your vehicle info, what has happened since then?
Nothing, the told me to go to my local dealership which i already plan to do anyway. No wonder people laughed when they reached out

OP
OP

Black Bronk

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Apologies if this was already asked, did you happen to be in 4 auto? If so, have you tried keeping it in 2wd on asphalt and 4h on dirt instead of 4auto?

This wasn't asked. Didn't use 4A that day. I was on 4H without any GOAT mode when going in and 4H (Baja mode) when heading out.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Nothing, the told me to go to my local dealership which i already plan to do anyway. No wonder people laughed when they reached out
Personally I think that they're just gatherings statistics and looking for trends based on VIN number. That's why they're responses are always asking for a VIN number regardless of the issue (dang well obvious that giving them a VIN number has nothing to do with solving some of these issues).

So I don't think they're completely useless as a whole (because they're identifying problematic trends).

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The temporary 4x4 system faults seem to be poor programming of ABS/Traction/Stability system for off-road/trail conditions.

This is why I always use a GOAT mode. If there is any chance of Ford relaxing the nannies, it will be in one of the off-road only GOAT modes.
However, I have no faith Ford programmed the system to act differently in those modes, besides what you can turn off with the TC button in normal mode. I find it easier to use the GOAT dial vs remembering all the buttons to push.
I'm also a heavy user of 4L. If the trail is small enough where I'll never or rarely go faster than 35mph, I use 4L to relieve the strain on the drive train.
If it's a dirt road where I can go 35+mph, I use Sport (4A) and Baja (4H) depending on conditions and drive way too fast.

I haven't had the issue, but I haven't spent much time off road. My '21 also suffers from the bug where TC is not actually disabled.

Sponsored

Summit981

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I know it’s frustrating; hang in there. I once had an issue with my ‘22 Badlands and a Ford rep saw my complaint on here and reached out to me. Same thing, I had to go to the dealer but Ford assigned a case worker who checked in with me daily while my truck got worked on, followed thru with the dealer’s service center, and when it was all done, the Ford Rep bumped up my maintenance plan for an additional six months. I appreciated the effort.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The temporary 4x4 system faults seem to be poor programming of ABS/Traction/Stability system for off-road/trail conditions.

This is why I always use a GOAT mode. If there is any chance of Ford relaxing the nannies, it will be in one of the off-road only GOAT modes.
However, I have no faith Ford programmed the system to act differently in those modes, besides what you can turn off with the TC button in normal mode. I find it easier to use the GOAT dial vs remembering all the buttons to push.
I'm also a heavy user of 4L. If the trail is small enough where I'll never or rarely go faster than 35mph, I use 4L to relieve the strain on the drive train.
If it's a dirt road where I can go 35+mph, I use Sport (4A) and Baja (4H) depending on conditions and drive way too fast.

I haven't had the issue, but I haven't spent much time off road. My '21 also suffers from the bug where TC is not actually disabled.
I also aways try to use the GOATs vs just pressing buttons because they do, 100% guaranteed, more than just change 4x4 settings...things you can not "press a button" for.

They affect everything from nannies, to fuel mapping, transmission shifts, steering and brake inputs, etc.

jzweedyk

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They affect everything from nannies, to fuel mapping, transmission shifts, steering and brake inputs, etc.
Which is why I don't use them. They change throttle input and I am used to the throttle as it is.

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I also aways try to use the GOATs vs just pressing buttons because they do, 100% guaranteed, more than just change 4x4 settings...things you can not "press a button" for.

I like slippery mode now and then ...like the times there's ice that didn't thaw out , on the Shadyside of the corners...or when the wet leaves cover the windy back roads, the corners are super slick. the traction control and throttle response, and braking modulation and and stability control are all running an alternative more conservative map it seems to me... definitely an ass saver.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Which is why I don't use them. They change throttle input and I am used to the throttle as it is.
I get ya...and if it works for you so be it. I'm partial convinced that using the Goats also set the Bronco's expectations.... In other words, slipping wheels in Normal mode can confuse it and cause it to complain. Slipping wheels in Sand or mud/rut is expected.
Sponsored