Sponsored

Got Stuck in Desert for Hours Because Bronco 4x4 System got Temporarily Disabled for no Obvious Reason

Hemisfear

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've see a lot of trails in my Bronco since it arrived almost 2 years ago and haven't had this issue. I've done the Death Valley to Moab twice from Canada with lots of sand, rain and whatever in between, the snow in British Columbia, Rocks, you name it...from what I have seen on YouTube most is because of poor driving and/or button pushing at inappropriate times or just a simple dirty sensor, usually ABS/brake.
I hope this helps...
Sponsored

Jmor

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If you have the Ford performance tune module you can clear the codes. It worked for me.
I'M not familiar with that procedure if you have 2.7 ford performance tune. Do you have any info or links,

jzweedyk

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That is what I did and it worked. No other problems……..yet.

OP
OP

Black Bronk

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I've see a lot of trails in my Bronco since it arrived almost 2 years ago and haven't had this issue. I've done the Death Valley to Moab twice from Canada with lots of sand, rain and whatever in between, the snow in British Columbia, Rocks, you name it...from what I have seen on YouTube most is because of poor driving and/or button pushing at inappropriate times or just a simple dirty sensor, usually ABS/brake.
I hope this helps...
This trail was so simple it will be almost impossible to drive poorly on it. Ford says switching GOAT modes at low speeds should be ok unless you are switching between low and high ranges. However I'll try to come to a stop before switching GOAT modes and see if that helps.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Black Bronk

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yep, in my opinion wheel spin causes the computer to glitch. It doesn’t like registering the spin when it should be showing full traction. I got to be very quick at resetting and discharging the computer to reset everything. I’m not getting stuck on a trail anymore.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll watch out for this. The system shutting down is what led me get into spinning instead of the other way round and I generally do not try to push through when this happens as its just not good practice. However if a Bronco can't handle a little spin thats a big deal because spinning once in a while is just normal when offroading. Now if I stayed there pushing it for a minute that will be a problem

OP
OP

Black Bronk

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Great to know that if you get stuck, you'll remain stuck. Nice. Puts another whole spin on "4 wheel drive just gets you stuck further away..."
Heard this before and don't see how it applies here but ok

OP
OP

Black Bronk

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yep, too many bells and whistles connected together designed by engineers to work in a perfect world. Well the world ain’t perfect.
BUT I thought everyone knew that if there’s a glitch…. If shutting it off for a bit and restarting doesn’t work, then disconnecting the battery might. Anyone who has worked on anything made in recent years knows this. Even Caterpillar has issues like this.

Some who buy Broncos should indeed stick with Hondas and Subarus.
No need to be this condescending if someone doesn't know something you think everyone does. Forgive me for expecting a more reliable experience from a +50k vehicle. This is my first Ford purchase so I didn't realize everyone in the Ford community disconnects their battery termnials or have to carry laptops/car scanners everytime they go off-roading in a car that hasn't even hit 10k miles. Perhaps I really should stick to Honda's where such poor engineering isn't acceptable and I won't deal with people like you who think such a failure on an easy trail is an opportunity to blame the consumer.

Yamapro

Wildtrak
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thanks for the heads up. I'll watch out for this. The system shutting down is what led me get into spinning instead of the other way round and I generally do not try to push through when this happens as its just not good practice. However if a Bronco can't handle a little spin thats a big deal because spinning once in a while is just normal when offroading. Now if I stayed there pushing it for a minute that will be a problem
I agree. I’ve wheeled most of Moab in my Bronco numerous times and the only time I have experienced this is on days where I had the tires spinning from loose conditions. It’s strange because it wouldn’t happen on the obstacle but after. I’d be willing to bet I’ve had to reset and discharge my computer no less than 15 times. If I’m not mistaken the worst day was on Cliff Hanger at Bronco Safari earlier this year. Good news is that most wouldn’t attempt a trail like that in a new Bronco.

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

No need to be this condescending if someone doesn't know something you think everyone does. Forgive me for expecting a more reliable experience from a +50k vehicle. This is my first Ford purchase so I didn't realize everyone in the Ford community disconnects their battery termnials or have to carry laptops/car scanners everytime they go off-roading in a car that hasn't even hit 10k miles. Perhaps I really should stick to Honda's where such poor engineering isn't acceptable and I won't deal with people like you who think such a failure on an easy trail is an opportunity to blame the consumer.
You’re right. I should have responded differently. Too many spiked egg nogs. Lol.

Did you have any tools with you?

Sponsored

Lots O Fords

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Bronco, 23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So for those who have experienced this problem. If you clear the fault codes with a scanner are you instantly up and running?
Has anyone noticed any other causes? Where you can actually duplicate it.
Or something like date of manufacturer, engine, packages or model?

Lots O Fords

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Bronco, 23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As a follow up. More than once on my work trucks (Freightliner) a dirty wheel speed sensor creates faults.

Hemisfear

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This trail was so simple it will be almost impossible to drive poorly on it. Ford says switching GOAT modes at low speeds should be ok unless you are switching between low and high ranges. However I'll try to come to a stop before switching GOAT modes and see if that helps.
Switching goat modes should be fine, it’s pushing the ones on 5e dash at inappropriate times appears to mess things occasionally or switching too rapidly…I’ve been able to avoid such occurrences with no issues.

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

So for those who have experienced this problem. If you clear the fault codes with a scanner are you instantly up and running?
Has anyone noticed any other causes? Where you can actually duplicate it.
Or something like date of manufacturer, engine, packages or model?
yes once the codes are cleared, it's back to normal and up and running!

for me it was wild wheelspin with the ABS trying to maintain traction that caused it.... probably just out of range for the strategy the module has.