Sponsored

Hard top hoist with 2 contact points (pics)

darinhouston

Badlands
First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm confused - I talked with Lange about an option that only held up the main body and they said they didn't have one. Do you have link to that version?
Sponsored

darinhouston

Badlands
First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I like it for lifting but not for storing. These things are cracking while installed on the Bronco. I can't imagine that storing it like this long term will be good.
Was wondering if just clipping 2 flat hooks on would be sufficient to hoist the hard top (4 door) so threw a strap over a beam on my patio and lifted the hard top up.
Seems like it would work fine long term.
My thought is to use 2 24”-30” straps with a flat hook on one end and a ring on the other end. Then simply connect the rings to a manual or electric hoist.
Thoughts?

BD78AC63-9504-4502-86A1-B444C3337C5A.jpeg

34411DE6-DC9C-4A6E-B35B-F2D86EE92506.jpeg

03A12D92-D546-47B7-A73C-CFCECD264BF3.jpeg
Do you have a link to the flat hooks you used? I haven't found any that are quite right. I would want to plasti-dip them or something, though.

darinhouston

Badlands
First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Everyone seems to agree that using the "lift points" are ok for lifting, but not all agree it's safe for storage - the loads and torque on those areas are significant and not to design requirements. So, what about a wall bracket like a shelf that had pegs to align with the alignment pin and the first two bolt holes from the rear - hoist with a simple flat hook on a pully and then set the back end down on that shelf - then suspend the front from static wires/hooks hanging from the ceiling at the front mounting straps. No strange loads at all.

I've seen door storage like that.

Sponsored

Johnny Mo

Raptor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Energi, Ducati XDiavel
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

My plan is to leverage the hooks from the OP's design, but add a square cage made from HVAC struts with some armour flex foam around them - with a center crossbar that acts as a balance point for the hoist. Then using the flat clips, custom length webbing and the bolt end web brackets - attach the 4 contact points to the strut cage - at the corners, lined up with the lift points) and then have a center eye-hook that the hoist grabs from - that should give max clearance.

darinhouston

Badlands
First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ll have to see that. But I’m pretty sure that the rear rack mount points are the center of gravity. I saw someone lift just from that section and it looked pretty stable.

OP
OP
TXBrian

TXBrian

Wildtrak
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You could do a square cage with 4 hooks to further distribute the weight. The cross bar to lift would still need to be in line with the rear slots as that is the center point.

Mpatient1

Black Diamond
First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BD CO/MID, 2006 mustang pony package
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

$12 Home depot tie down strap with $16 Harbor Frieght gambrel/pully hoist cheap and effective. It was a little tippy, but I put a strategic #5 weight to counterbalance and worked pretty good.
image_12273.jpg
yellows-golds-husky-ratchet-straps-fh0850-c3_145.jpg

I had a rolling shelf with a 2' square top surface that I lowered it down onto though. Not real keen on leaving it suspended from the rack mounts like that...

Sponsored

RyanP

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-9
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Johnny Mo

Raptor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Energi, Ducati XDiavel
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I’ll have to see that. But I’m pretty sure that the rear rack mount points are the center of gravity. I saw someone lift just from that section and it looked pretty stable.
I would also then be able to rest the front and center panels on the cage to be hoisted and stored together

Mpatient1

Black Diamond
First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BD CO/MID, 2006 mustang pony package
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Any photos of the install and lifting the top?
Ford Bronco Hard top hoist with 2 contact points (pics) 20230216_202328

All I have atm is after it was off the hoist and on the shelf... I was focused on getting it done. I'll try to remember next time.

Sweetair

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 SHO, 03 Marauder, '69 S Code XR7 vert Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Was wondering if just clipping 2 flat hooks on would be sufficient to hoist the hard top (4 door) so threw a strap over a beam on my patio and lifted the hard top up.
Seems like it would work fine long term.
My thought is to use 2 24”-30” straps with a flat hook on one end and a ring on the other end. Then simply connect the rings to a manual or electric hoist.
Thoughts?

TXBrian........great thread. I'm needing to figure out something to do to store my Wildtrak hard top as well. I like your set up. Really appreciate your thoughts and actions. Regarding the unistrut you used, Amazon has a 5' one. Is this what you used and just cut it down to length?
I agree with you and others that other support points make me more comfortable so as to not deform the top during storage and other support straps are the way to go.

Can you add a link to the sized ones you went with? They seem to fit through the slots on roof well.

OP
OP
TXBrian

TXBrian

Wildtrak
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
TXBrian........great thread. I'm needing to figure out something to do to store my Wildtrak hard top as well. I like your set up. Really appreciate your thoughts and actions. Regarding the unistrut you used, Amazon has a 5' one. Is this what you used and just cut it down to length?
I agree with you and others that other support points make me more comfortable so as to not deform the top during storage and other support straps are the way to go.

Can you add a link to the sized ones you went with? They seem to fit through the slots on roof well.
I used a 24” piece of unistrut to mount the hoist. You might need a longer piece depending on the spacing of your joists.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Superst...Channel-Silver-Galvanized-ZA12HS2EG/205328679

This is the hoist.

Partsam 440Lbs Lift Electric Hoist Crane Remote Control Power System, 110V Electric Hoist Zinc-Plated Steel Wire Overhead Crane Garage Ceiling Pulley Winch w/Straps (w/Emergency Stop Switch) https://a.co/d/6xhFPtv

This is the strap.

https://www.customtiedowns.com/prod...length=0&webbing=cw2k-g12pe&catlist=1&store=1

I put some felt tape on the strap hooks but you could plastidip them too.

Once the top is lifted , I throw 2 tie downs on that go under the top as a back up support and those attach to screw in eye bolts in the joists.

I’m thinking about cutting a couple 2x4’s a little wider than the top and put eyebolts through the ends of those and then just hooking the straps to them so the top is sitting on the 2x4’s. That will better distribute the weight and would be like the top is sitting on the ground.

I’ve had my top suspended from just the hoist hooks for 2 months with the middle section of the top laying on top (with a moving blanket between them) and lowered it down yesterday to check and everything on the top looks fine.
Sponsored