Sponsored

Hard top hoist with 2 contact points (pics)

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Nobody really knows for sure. They are re-enforced and "designed" for the roof racks. The roof racks are rated for something like 300lbs so I don't think lifting 68lbs (34lbs split across the 2 sides) is going to be much of an issue.

I'd love to see how the factory handles installing the tops.
I doubt the tensile load (lifting) is anywhere near the compression load(pushing down).
Sponsored

darinhouston

Badlands
First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Why are people calling these " Lift Points / Slots " - I think they are for putting a roof rack on which would have pressure going the opposite direction!
They look more like " Rack Slots " which were never engineered to be used to lift.

*Maybe ok for a 5 minute list, but I personally would not store with those points/slots
I tend to agree, though my guess is they use these to lift in assembly. In particular, I note there are two sets of them and the factory roof rails only work on the front set. The rear set are the ones that balance almost perfectly for lifting. But, I agree - I'd lift (only the 60# main top) but not store (and especially not with all the other panels).

KompressorV12

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Seeing how delicate this hard top is I don't think there is any way I would store using those contact points for any extended period of time. What we need is someone like @Mabett to design some sort of resting plate in ABS plastic. Something that sits flat under the roof and curls around the sides, or even something that sits flat or grabs from the bottom of the roof and has mounting points that stick out from the bottom so you can attach straps. Pic for reference on my first idea.

IMG_3061.jpg

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Nobody really knows for sure. They are re-enforced and "designed" for the roof racks. The roof racks are rated for something like 300lbs so I don't think lifting 68lbs (34lbs split across the 2 sides) is going to be much of an issue.

But the slots provide access to the top of the vertical walls, with any pressure going DOWN....
I see them more as access to vertival wall structure, and lateral clamping...

* I guess they wold have to be strong becasue with a rack installed, and wind on a rack, you dont want the top part of the top to rip off while driving...

darinhouston

Badlands
First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Seeing how delicate this hard top is I don't think there is any way I would store using those contact points for any extended period of time. What we need is someone like @Mabett to design some sort of resting plate in ABS plastic. Something that sits flat under the roof and curls around the sides, or even something that sits flat or grabs from the bottom of the roof and has mounting points that stick out from the bottom so you can attach straps. Pic for reference on my first idea.
Something like this? Not sure they make an aluminum t-section with asymmetric flanges - especially not that large.

Ford Bronco Hard top hoist with 2 contact points (pics) 79C5C543-B579-4595-AAE0-EE9CCBC94436_1_105_c

Sponsored

KompressorV12

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

darinhouston

Badlands
First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The "optional" bridging piece probably is needed to avoid unduly flexing the top when lifting. But, it should fit across the back behind the frame - maybe a wire to attach to the front of the bracket as well once it's lifted to prevent the front of the bracket twisting.

I think I'd go aluminum though - I wouldn't trust my top to ABS brackets -- especially if you store with panels

darinhouston

Badlands
First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here's a good solution for the wall-mounted rear end shelf idea - design a mounting plate that matches the bottom profile of the MIC top and has holes for alignment pins. Attach that to this bracket.

Folds down out of the way when not in use. This 18" version holds 380 pounds - 12" version is probably sufficient.

https://a.co/d/erWH0T1

71+oALpylIS._AC_SY300_SX300_.jpg

OP
OP
TXBrian

TXBrian

Wildtrak
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Here's a good solution for the wall-mounted rear end shelf idea - design a mounting plate that matches the bottom profile of the MIC top and has holes for alignment pins. Attach that to this bracket.

Folds down out of the way when not in use. This 18" version holds 380 pounds - 12" version is probably sufficient.

https://a.co/d/erWH0T1

71+oALpylIS._AC_SY300_SX300_.jpg
I had a similar idea but I have cabinets on my back wall and cabinets or shelves on all the other walls which pushed me to ceiling storage.

I got home early today so decided to play around with some unistrut for more support instead of just having tie downs wrapped under and against the top.

The top is completely sitting on the unistrut with some 1/8ā€ thick rubber pieces between the top and metal. Can pop them off in seconds and then lower the top with the hoist.

14EA2F3D-6BA1-431D-A73B-3E968366D1D2.jpeg

9C68A817-64F1-4627-AE6A-EE059C0820AE.jpeg

Sponsored

Mpatient1

Black Diamond
First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BD CO/MID, 2006 mustang pony package
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'd think the air pressure from the underside of the roof with the front panels off, or under a roof rack would have caused them to reinforce it enough to withstand the lifting... but I agree I wouldn't want to store it like that.

I had a similar idea but I have cabinets on my back wall and cabinets or shelves on all the other walls which pushed me to ceiling storage.

I got home early today so decided to play around with some unistrut for more support instead of just having tie downs wrapped under and against the top.

The top is completely sitting on the unistrut with some 1/8ā€ thick rubber pieces between the top and metal. Can pop them off in seconds and then lower the top with the hoist.

14EA2F3D-6BA1-431D-A73B-3E968366D1D2.jpeg

9C68A817-64F1-4627-AE6A-EE059C0820AE.jpeg
I'm planning something similar to get it out of the way if I ever figure out a suitable secure in vehicle storage for some of my work gear that fits my budget so I can keep the top off more than a couple days in a row.

I need to find a way to open up my hooks a bit though I think. the gap is enough to get into the "lift point" but once the weight wedges it in there it takes a little persuasion to get it out. First time wasn't bad, but this last time had me thinking it might be an issue.

darinhouston

Badlands
First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And this is what the bracket needs to look like to mount to the shelf. (probably just the section up to the first bolt and the through-hole for the alignment pin).
Ford Bronco Hard top hoist with 2 contact points (pics) IMG_5118

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For those worried about lifting using the rack mounting points it sure seems like putting a couple of kayaks on the roof rack then driving 60 to 70 MPH down the highway into a headwind would provide more lift than the weight of the top itself. I did that several times last summer with zero issues and Iā€˜m sure others have as well.

Those rack mounting points are also designed to stand up to sideway forces when cornering and forward and backwards forcing when accelerating and braking with a loaded rack. If I recall the dynamic load limit is around 125# and thatā€™s going to create way more strain on those points when the Bronco is in motion than the static weight of the top so I doubt lifting and storing using those mounting points will create any issues as long as your attachments are similar to the mounts used on the OEM rack.

All that said I like the safety factor the OP created and posted above in post #70!

Last edited:

darinhouston

Badlands
First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I donā€™t think anyone is really concerned about lifting. Itā€™s storage. Dynamic stress loads are very different than creep. Especially in hot climates. And thermoplastics are notorious for creep. Especially when delamination is a risk.

ShockerBT

Wildtrak
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro SS 2021 Chevy Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
What about this lift, from smarter home? Seems to lift at the right points. Not sure how stable the cargo net is that holds the first sections ā€¦.

Sponsored