Sponsored

Hard top new noise (not rattle) - squeaky only in very cold temps (sub 10 degrees)

webdz9r

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FE - Area 51
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Hi,

Long time reader, first time poster so forgive me if I can’t articulate my findings properly…

So far I’ve felt lucky, no issues since delivery (12/01) - Now that the nights are getting colder, when I leave the bronco outside for more than 2 hours (IE: at a movie theater park lot) in sub 10 degrees I have a very unique squeaky / chirping from the back top area. It sounds like the hard top is lose, not the typically rattling people have documented on YouTube and such. This only happens when it’s been in really cold temps, on bumpy roads. The road I drive on daily (dirt road) is fine unless it’s been sitting outside in the cold. As the cabin warms up the sound becomes less and less. When parked in my garage and drive there are no issues.

Thanks in advance for any help or ideas on this problem.
Sponsored

bcb1

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Our Jeep Wrangler hardtop - which is made by Webasto like the Bronco - does this too. In fact even when it parked in the garage I’ll get the annoying squeak during the cold weather months. It often disappears at warmer temps, and I don’t notice it at higher speeds. Just lower speeds and usually when it’s cold.

supposedly it is mainly from rear glass, where it meets the rubber seals. I have used the same rubber lube as I use for my BMW seals, the 303 Rubber seal protectant. It keeps the seals in my X5 quiet but doesn’t help as much in the Jeep.

annoying for sure. I’m a rattle and squeak fanatic so this worries me about the new Bronco. I’m hoping mine doesn’t do it, but logic tells me it probably will.

Google BMW rubber seal squeak and you’ll see a lot of people with these issues, lol. Lots of good information too, not specific about Bronco of course, but squeaks and rattle issues are common, and often the fixes are very similar

Last edited:

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've noticed the same thing. I just chalk it up to everything is going to be a bit more ridged when it's super cold. The top and seals aren't going to flex like they normally would.

We got some ice this weekend, you can really tell any time the body flexes in the slightest bit because you can hear the ice pop and crack at every seam.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Try spraying your gaskets/seals with a silicone spray. Good idea to do the door seals as well. It help in the cold to keep the seals from sticking to the mating surface.

wrbix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR Def90, F250 7.3, Caterham 7, LR Series III, etc
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve never had a car or truck that didn’t exhibit new squeaks or rattles in cold weather (and I’m an old guy). Materials contract at different rates.
Suggestion: live with it or move to FL……maybe this is why FL is full of old guys.

Sponsored
OP
OP
webdz9r

webdz9r

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FE - Area 51
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I’ve never had a car or truck that didn’t exhibit new squeaks or rattles in cold weather (and I’m an old guy). Materials contract at different rates.
Suggestion: live with it or move to FL……maybe this is why FL is full of old guys.
For me I'm über worried about the quality of the Hard Top given all the problems and the history. Agreed on the sound, just really alarming at how bad it is, doesn't sound like a normal "cold weather" noise.

I lived in FL for 3 years and moved quickly back west after my first experience with Hurricane Ivan, decided I'd rather dig myself out of 2 feet of snow vs running from a randomly named storm ;)

SmellzLikeYeti

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My Wrangler does this too. I think its just the material expanding and contracting due to the cold.
Sponsored