First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968, 1970, 2021 Broncos, 2006 Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Base
I just had mine replaced under warranty for a delamination along the whole drivers side rib, it never cracked but it always seemed like the bubble got worse on warm days. I agree with what some have said about construction and wind noise but I drove a Jeep a few years back and it sounded like the top was going to grenade when I test drive it so it’s not too bad in comparison I guess but it would have been nice if it were more refined.
Sponsored

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is another reason why getting pushed back to 24MY might not be a bad thing. I read on article where the Bronco is catching the Wrangler in sales.

JMY217

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Outer Banks Sas/Lux/Soft Top
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Im so sorry this happened. We had a cold snap end of December here in Jersey, and when I opened my trunk on the soft top, the passenger soft top window panel cracked. Fors wont replace it because they said its not a defect, its weather related.... not sure how being unable to open my trunk when its cold is NOT a defect 🤷🏻‍♂️

Oisinirish

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Big Bend 4 door. Sasquatch. Manual
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ford cheaped out. Note that Ford partners with Anderson Composites for aftermarket tops that have essentially the same shape, but better construction.

Note: the Anderson version uses fiberglass in its construction and has a much nicer headliner.

2021 - 2022 Ford Bronco 4-Door Fiberglass Hardtop (Black) | Anderson Composites
What’s funny is even the aftermarket folks haven’t really brought anything to market yet either. Advanced hasn’t shipped many if any either. Anderson isn’t shipping any now per the link.
1. Too worried about being light?
2. Too worried about being modular?
3. Mounting points on the Bronco make design more difficult than we know with the materials proposed?

I mean FFS my 85 Blazer Had a removable hard top. Sturdy and yeah heavy but you know what? As of 2012 it still didn’t leak, have any cracks or fail catastrophically and lived in both 110F heat and -10F cold. Now rust issues….?

Sponsored

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I mean FFS my 85 Blazer Had a removable hard top. Sturdy and yeah heavy but you know what? As of 2012 it still didn’t leak, have any cracks or fail catastrophically and lived in both 110F heat and -10F cold. Now rust issues….?
My 71's hard top is heavy as hell. Previous owner scraped the entire top trying to get into a parking garage...it's still leak free and structurally sound. Do that with a Bronco top and it would peel apart like a banana. Not sure if I'd want the same kind of construction and associated weight to go with it on the Bronco. If I have any trouble with my top I'll probably do a carbon fiber layup on the exterior to stiffen it up and then hit it with a bedliner for UV and impact protection.

rocko107

Base
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger Hellcat, Ford Explorer V8(2006)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Im so sorry this happened. We had a cold snap end of December here in Jersey, and when I opened my trunk on the soft top, the passenger soft top window panel cracked. Fors wont replace it because they said its not a defect, its weather related.... not sure how being unable to open my trunk when its cold is NOT a defect 🤷🏻‍♂️
It's this type of stuff that is totally keeping me from buying a Bronco right now. The level of anger I would have after dropping 50K+ and then dealership/Ford doing everything they can to deny the warrantee claims on legit issues. Ford is swimming in warranty debt right now. So they probably have financial spiffs for their dealerships for maintaining low warrantee claims relative to their vehicle sales. Wouldn't be surprised if this was a true statement.

A51OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco sport, 2022 Bronco, 2023 Bronco, 1989
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I worry about what happens when these issues manifest themselves right after your warranties are up. How much is a replacement top going to cost. I've been on the fence regarding MIC vs. Soft top, and have been leaning towards the soft top though there seems to be teething issues there as well, mostly with broken clips on the rear side panels.
So, This was my concern. Ford has replaced 2 of my 3 sections under warranty. Replaced the same seals 2 times, adjusted, shifted, and basically screwed up the top so bad it sounds like windows are open when driving down road. Water still coming in. Ford sent engineers to inspect two times and try and solve. The last engineer played dumb and said he did not realize there was a big issue with the hard tops. I asked for extended warranty on hard top, and some money so I could buy an aftermarket top. Got no Response, Until I filed with BBB auto claims, Now Ford wants to work with me. I have two 4 door hard tops, and a 4 door soft top. The soft top actually has less road noise going down road than hard top!

My wives new hard top does not seem to have any of the issues mine has. Mine is a 2022.

Ford should step up and extend warranty on all hard tops.

I am hoping to get issue solved soon.

Bdisco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘88 911,‘15 Chevy 2500, ‘24 Acura Integra Type S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My LLBean Old Town Canoe has spent many a New England winter in the harsh and bitter cold. Not to mention the sweltering summer heat. Sure the deep green color has faded some and there’s some gouges from being dragged over rocks but I feel confident I will be able to pass it on to my nonexistent grandchildren when the time comes. I don’t feel the same confidence with the Bronco and the mic top.

Ford Bronco My Bronco MIC hardtop cracked in cold (-11 degrees) 1676140662549

Last edited:

Cleveland-Native

Badlands
First Name
Fry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Ford Ranger, 2009 VW Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What I find hard to understand is what made the OP go and climb his bumper to look at that very spot after the freeze to look for damage. In my opinion you can not see this damage from a standing position, too high up and not at edge of top to see from below. Did he see it from a advantage point higher like a 2nd story home window or the like. Kinda makes me think something else happened previous to overnight temps that had him climbing his bumper to see. Having an article published online is kinda extreme unless knowing something else caused it, but freezing temp exasperated the issue. Kinda forcing Ford's hand per say! Don't really care one way or the other, just sequences of events are suspicious to me.

Ford parts department told me when I went Monday to drop off my Bronco for top replacement for cracking under warranty that the tops are made and tested in Italy and Wuhan China. Then shipped to Detroit's supply warehouse. But the overall numbers of MIC tops being replaced under warranty is marginally small compared to total manufacturing and sales numbers. Their is an active TSB for the MIC, but based on the narrow margin for replacement, there is no reason for a recall.
Grump, you one of them insurance fraud investigators? Let the man get a new top!!

Sponsored

Cleveland-Native

Badlands
First Name
Fry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Ford Ranger, 2009 VW Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My LLBean Old Town Canoe has spent many a New England winter in the harsh and bitter cold. Not to mention the sweltering summer heat. Sure the deep green color has faded some and there’s some gouges from being dragged over rocks but I feel confident I will be able to pass it on to my nonexistent grandchildren when the time comes. I don’t feel the same confidence with the Bronco and the mic top.

Ford Bronco My Bronco MIC hardtop cracked in cold (-11 degrees) 1676140662549
What kind of material is that made out of? Royalex? If so, how much do want for it? I have a "kevlar hybrid" canoe but the discontinued royalex was supposed to be the goat. I want something to pass down to my nonexistent children!

Dude1967

Outer Banks
First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco 2 door Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It's this type of stuff that is totally keeping me from buying a Bronco right now. The level of anger I would have after dropping 50K+ and then dealership/Ford doing everything they can to deny the warrantee claims on legit issues. Ford is swimming in warranty debt right now. So they probably have financial spiffs for their dealerships for maintaining low warrantee claims relative to their vehicle sales. Wouldn't be surprised if this was a true statement.
Holy shit. From the outside looking in I see a trend....

Desert_Brush

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mini Cooper
Your Bronco Model
Base
Just found a crack on the top of mine. I live in Southern California and it is in a garage when not being driven. Picked up from the dealer October 2022. Only 3382 miles on it. Cool cool cool cool cool cool cool
Ford Bronco My Bronco MIC hardtop cracked in cold (-11 degrees) A4925965-DC3E-46F6-9BE2-D596DAD0FA36
Ford Bronco My Bronco MIC hardtop cracked in cold (-11 degrees) 0679E72A-94BC-47D5-A3E2-8468853D4129

Last edited:

tritonx100

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford explore
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Damn. Ever had leaks in it. Almost looks like water forced it to expand or so cold it pulled apart when the skin contracted.
this looks like something got dropped on it...you can tell by the shape of the crack
Sponsored