First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords and a Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If it were mine, I’d stop by a boat repair facility. They repair boats that have run into docks daily. They should have the ability, or know the shop that does. May even be cheaper than an insurance deductible.
Maybe, but I haven't seen many boats with hulls comprised of cardboard with a thin, easily cracked outer shell. They're typically aluminum or, wait for it -- fiberglass.

Both my JKs were hartops, and one had a tree branch that measured about 1.5" fall on it with nary a nick in the paint on the hardtop, but it dinged the hood. I'm genuinely curious how big the branch was in the OP's case.

HeliPilot

Badlands
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.7L SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Maybe, but I haven't seen many boats with hulls comprised of cardboard with a thin, easily cracked outer shell. They're typically aluminum or, wait for it -- fiberglass.

Both my JKs were hartops, and one had a tree branch that measured about 1.5" fall on it with nary a nick in the paint on the hardtop, but it dinged the hood. I'm genuinely curious how big the branch was in the OP's case.
Awesome!! Point is…they can take a look and advise if a waterproof repair can be made. But you do you homie!! Thanks for the amazing insight, as I made zero reference to the composition of the hard top or boats.

710-oil-614

Big Bend
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor, 2010 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
These tops are cardboard inside?!?!?

Guess that's why it looks like, uh, cardboard in the center of the impact site. The outer shell definitely doesn't have a lot of thickness by the look of it. :oops:
Yep. It's a honeycomb cardboard that is used to help create the mold of the top.

Think hollow core doors for a house.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yep. It's a honeycomb cardboard that is used to help create the mold of the top.

Think hollow core doors for a house.
I recall one of the Webasto (maker of Ford hardtops) sites going on about how great they are at making strong honeycomb core panels. Talking up their experience level and how great a construction method it is and all.

With all their talk, it's odd they ended up having issues with the Bronco hardtop construction. Items such as finished and sealed panel edges, you'd think that stuff would be panel making 101.

Sponsored

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah, utterly terrifying...
Most composite aircraft don't use any sort of honeycomb core and instead rely on monocoque structure, but there have been some successes with phenolic honeycomb structures, primarily in non-load bearing applications. Was a bit surprised to see Ford using it on their hard tops, given that they're much more likely to see impact damage than an aircraft would. Most of the phenolic in small aircraft are for stuff like control cable pulleys, spacers, and electrical standoffs. The pulleys are the only ones that kinda get to me, if they were to crack in half and cause a significant loss in cable tension, there's a pretty good chance it would end up with a flutter and in-flight structural failure.

BlueOvalBandit

Badlands
First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
747 wings were comb core. When comb core sandwich panel is done right, it is absolutely amazing. Incredibly rigid and light weight. I could stand in the middle of a 3' x 8" x 3/8" strip supported at both ends and at 210 lbs it didn't deflect any perceptible amount. The strip only weighed a couple ounces.

http://www.sandwichpanels.org/articles/wing_repair.html

Wannabewest

Badlands
First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So apparently a branch fell onto my roof at some point, I park under a tree etc. About the size of a quarter. Did not go all the way through. 2021 Badlands with 2nd gen roof. Just saw it and am wondering about patching it. What would you use to repair? I'm thinking something that would soak into it and fill the void and would be self leveling. Some sort of epoxy maybe? Thinking home depot, auto parts store, boat repair sort of places. Thanks!
PXL_20230606_004513523.jpg
If you end up having to buy from Ford, it’s $1800. Just had to have mine replaced thru insurance. Bronco tax at work here.

OP
OP
erics667

erics667

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2.3L MT A51, 1974 Ford Bronco Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you end up having to buy from Ford, it’s $1800. Just had to have mine replaced thru insurance. Bronco tax at work here.
Yep, found the pieces on a dealer parts website. Each front T top section was $1600, middle was $830 and rear was unknown.....but I'm sure it has to be more than the front sections.

tock13

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda, 66 Honda CT90, ‘94 Toyota Xtra cab
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

You know, now would be the perfect time to cut the rectangle and install one of those sweet ‘70s removable sunroofs. Your own gunners hatch.

Sponsored

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I almost wish a branch fell on the back of mine so I can take the insurance money and offset some of the purchase price of a one-piece ADV top. Have to do more forrest driving, but alas not many forests around here.

For the record - no I am not contemplating insurance fraud, but if nature outstretches its hand I will grab it :D

P.S. What are 4D hardtops going for in the secondary market these days? May just sell the OEM piece of junk outright if it can get me close enough.

OP
OP
erics667

erics667

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I almost wish a branch fell on the back of mine so I can take the insurance money and offset some of the purchase price of a one-piece ADV top. Have to do more forrest driving, but alas not many forests around here.

For the record - no I am not contemplating insurance fraud, but if nature outstretches its hand I will grab it :D

P.S. What are 4D hardtops going for in the secondary market these days? May just sell the OEM piece of junk outright if it can get me close enough.
Uhhh, $6k :( I get it but man.... https://www.advfiberglass.com/products/2021-2023-ford-bronco-hardtop?variant=39545751535718

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I know, not paying that much. The reason I lust after them is because a) they do not seem flimsy like the OEM and b) they sell a single piece one, I have no intention of ever taking my panels off. If a branch happens to poke through the egg carton.... errr MIC, and insurance coughs up $5k I will spend the extra $2k to never see the MIC again.

BHealy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A branch came down and crushed my rear driver side corner. Claiming through insurance as we speak. What did you end up doing for your repair?

OP
OP
erics667

erics667

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I ended up using this https://www.westmarine.com/west-system-101-handy-repair-pack-318329.html
I cut away the dark gray exterior pieces that were loose and shaped it into a small square. My dent was about the size of a nickel. I let the product soak into the interior cardboard...did that a few times and while still wet I started filling it in and let it dry, overfilling the hole so I could sand it. I have not sanded it yet so I can't speak to a finished product but I expect it'll be fine. Hard as a rock like other epoxies. Hopefully once painted it will be unnoticeable. My current plan is to use that Krylon? hammered metal texture spray paint, I think that will match well though my space is small. I did not get a new panel FYI, will stick with my repair.
Sponsored