Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Fucking dealership service departments...
cosmetic.jpg

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

My wife bought a 2023 Wrangler yesterday. I had three prior to my Bronco, but there was a good year and a half gap between when I sold my 2020 and when my Bronco arrived. I forgot how solid and quiet Jeep hard tops are - it's a night and day difference. I don't know how Ford f'd theirs up so bad, but it's laughable that what they gave us is the best they can do.
Curious....what are the Jeep tops made of? Thanks
Sponsored

Tech Tim

Base
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Curious....what are the BRONCO tops made of? Thanks

Customer: Well, what sort of standards are these hard tops built to?

Manufacturer: Oh, very rigorous automotive engineering standards.

Customer: What sort of standards?

Manufacturer: Well it’s not supposed to crack for a start.

Customer: And what other things?

Manufacturer: Well, there are, ah, regulations governing the materials that they can be made of.

Customer: What materials?

Manufacturer: Well, cardboard’s out.

Customer: And?

Manufacturer: No cardboard derivatives.

Customer: Like paper?

Manufacturer: No paper, no string, no cellotape.

Customer: Rubber?

Manufacturer: No, rubber’s out.

Ford Bronco My Bronco MIC hardtop cracked in cold (-11 degrees) front-fell-off_5-2732962089

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
My 2021 2-Door Bronco's hardtop cracked in the cold this weekend. Posting for visibility and to see if others had the same issue. For context it was -11 degrees here (-28 with windchill) this weekend. Here is a link to an article about what happened to me: https://www.thedrive.com/news/ford-bronco-owner-says-sub-zero-temps-ruined-his-trucks-hardtop

The owner of the vehicle, who prefers to be identified only by his first name, Frankie, states he went outside to his truck on Sunday morning following the bitter temperatures on Friday and Saturday. That's when he noticed the damage to his two-door Badlands' roof. Like us, he's seen plastic Bronco tops with minor cracks online but not "anything this bad."
I reached out to Ford for comment, and a spokesperson responded: "We test to -40 degrees and have never seen this condition before. The customer should visit his local dealer so a replacement top can be ordered free of charge."
Frankie said his local dealer was initially hesitant to approve a warranty claim because they deemed it a cosmetic issue. However, Ford reached out to him directly saying they'll get involved if needed.
"I had someone from Ford’s SUV team call me and tell me that if it gets denied as a warranty claim to call her back and Ford may provide financial assistance, but she doesn’t foresee it being denied by the warranty department," Frankie added.
In the meantime, Frankie's first priority is to keep his roof dry. He says he took the truck to the dealer primarily to get it under a roof. He currently does not have access to covered parking, and he's clearly worried about what rain or snow might do to the top. "I have to leave it in my driveway, I have nowhere else to put it," he told me.
Updated: Frankie reached out as our story was published to say the dealer ordered a new roof for his Bronco. What’s more, they’re storing it for him and giving him a loaner until it’s road-ready.
More info:

It wasn’t denied, but it wasn’t approved either. They referred to it as a cosmetic issue, took photos, and sent it to Ford’s warranty department for approval. I separately contacted ford first after taking it to the dealer by dm’ing them here on bronco6g to try to speed up the process. No other cracking or defects noticed prior to the failure.

Ford Bronco My Bronco MIC hardtop cracked in cold (-11 degrees) front-fell-off_5-2732962089

Hi there, I'd be happy to look into your Bronco concerns on my end. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into things on my end.

Hossfire

Wildtrak
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ford cheaped out. Note that Ford partners with Anderson Composites for aftermarket tops that have essentially the same shape, but better construction.

Note: the Anderson version uses fiberglass in its construction and has a much nicer headliner.

2021 - 2022 Ford Bronco 4-Door Fiberglass Hardtop (Black) | Anderson Composites
I think someone who looked at a bashed up MIC panel saw some fiberglass in the cross-section. So perhaps the real deficiency is the coating applied when each of the panels is molded. Makes me think that with correct surface prepping, the MIC could be made far more durable with a rubberized aftermarket coating. Something like bedliner without the little granules that give the bed traction.

Hossfire

Wildtrak
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Due to the cost, I would take pics and send to prior approval even if the part isn't on the list requiring digital imaging. If they give the canned, "follow the warranty and policy manual", blah, blah, blah, the next step is send it to the dealer decision support team (folks that would be dealing with the repair claim). If they don't give me the warm and fuzzy, I'd send the pics to my field service engineer to see if he agrees with the call we're making. If no one gives an approval then it's still up to the dealer and the only thing we have is a good detailed write up and pics of the failure to back up the repair if the assessor decides to get frisky and threaten a chargeback.

How do I know this? I just did all of this shit to try and CYA on a soft top frame we're getting ready to replace for a nylon support on one of the hinges that's split. Guess what step I'm at? Yup, no one will say yes or no so I'll be on the hook for an $8K+ repair if they don't like something about our documentation or write up.

I know most people probably see warranty in the simple terms of covered or not covered. The fact is, there are plenty of times the dealer feels a repair is warrantable, does the repair and is charged back due to a less than stellar write up by the tech or failure to use all of the one time use parts, cleaning wipes on an engine repair, etc. Don't know about other manufacturers but Ford has been really hateful with how they assess LEGITIMATE warranty claims. Every dealer has had stuff charged back for standards Ford doesn't even hold themselves to. So when I see threads like this I have to bite my lip because most of the time it's not that a dealer doesn't want to do a repair, it's likely due to it being high dollar, increased chance of a chargeback since it's a "trim" item, no approval prior to the repair and because they've been bitten in the ass by Ford in the past.
Ford Warranty Process (Rube Goldberg):
Ford Bronco My Bronco MIC hardtop cracked in cold (-11 degrees) 1675975229827

Sponsored

bloominguez

Black Diamond
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Br BD, '22 5BW, '95 Integra, '94 VFR, '04 SV
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My hard top has been in 110 plus heat to in the badlands tp -40 in michigan .Never had a problem.Must be a bad top...
-40 Fahrenheit or Celsius? ;)

555-RGNE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Basequatch 2dr 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
Curious....what are the Jeep tops made of? Thanks
They’re fiberglass-ish, too, but they’re much more dense than Bronco tops. The freedom panels (front two removable sections) are smaller, but feel heavier than their Bronco counterparts.

Sponsored

bloominguez

Black Diamond
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Br BD, '22 5BW, '95 Integra, '94 VFR, '04 SV
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Rayder

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
They’re fiberglass-ish, too, but they’re much more dense than Bronco tops. The freedom panels (front two removable sections) are smaller, but feel heavier than their Bronco counterparts.
They are SMC specifically. High compression sheet molding compound. They do have fiberglass in them but not in the same sense as a traditional woven sheet/polyester resin layup like on a Corvette for example. I believe the mythical Mod top is SMC too. We have to remember the mic was supposed to be a Budget hardtop option, a slight step above a softop. I don't think Ford ever intended it to be this bad obviously, but the direct comparison to the wrangler hardtop in cost/performance would be the mod top.

Big L 65

Outer Banks
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I can't believe Ford thinks these roofs are acceptable.
ford knew demand was high for these vehicles cuts had to be made to get production going. Ford will just let the dealers deal with the customers complaints until the warranty period is over
Sponsored