Adool Ferguson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Palisade
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you have a roof Rack. How many of y’all remove the roof rack during the summer/ nice days to go fully topless (No Hardtop)? Do you fully remove? Can you hoist with a partial roof rack?
Thanks for the advice.
Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
To remove the rear clamshell the entire rack needs to be removed.

UtahBrandon

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.puravidaoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
a number of classics and my 4dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a JCR rack on my 4dr that can be a half rack or a full rack. I just removed the front portion and am running a half rack on my rear clamshell. I have the removed front rack hanging on my garage wall and my clamshell hanging from my ceiling hoist in the garage.

coadr

Badlands
First Name
Coady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm planning to remove mine here shortly now that ski season has wrapped up. Unfortunately removing the OEM rack is kind of a pain because you basically have to take it 75% apart to get it off the roof.

Sponsored

ToddGreen

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If you have a roof Rack. How many of y’all remove the roof rack during the summer/ nice days to go fully topless (No Hardtop)? Do you fully remove? Can you hoist with a partial roof rack?
Thanks for the advice.
I use the roof rack for skis/snowboards. So, I put it on around Dec. 1 and remove it around April 1 each year. That way, I can take the MIC off in the good weather. It takes me 75-90 minutes to remove and/or reinstall the roof rack. So, seems worth it to me a couple times per year.

Greg2060

Outer Banks
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm planning to remove mine here shortly now that ski season has wrapped up. Unfortunately removing the OEM rack is kind of a pain because you basically have to take it 75% apart to get it off the roof.
Not sure what you mean by having to take the rack apart to remove, it comes off as the entire unit. Just took mine off yesterday for the first time. The front attachments are simple to undo whereas the back clamps can be a little finicky. The rubber gaskets that are between the rack and the roof stick to the clamp preventing it from sliding down. I used a small screwdriver to wiggle the clamp to get it to drop. I also had to use a board to gentle pop the rack up off the roof because those same gaskets were sticking to the hardtop. I plan on spraying the gaskets with some silicone spay when I put it back on to make it easier to remove in the future.

Forditude

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150 5.0 5* Tuned, GX470 Overland
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

OEM roof rack removal is pretty straightforward but it is a two person lift (at least on my SAS) once it’s loose. Be careful with the studs on the header panel/windshield frame. They are easy to break and require very low torque. I’ve had my rack on and off a dozen times over 2 years and I’m extra careful every time I tighten the front attachment points.

Greg2060

Outer Banks
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
OEM roof rack removal is pretty straightforward but it is a two person lift (at least on my SAS) once it’s loose. Be careful with the studs on the header panel/windshield frame. They are easy to break and require very low torque. I’ve had my rack on and off a dozen times over 2 years and I’m extra careful every time I tighten the front attachment points.
2 people definitely makes it easier and prevents any scratching while taking it off. I did it by myself by wrapping a towel around the front and rear attachment points on one side, then pulling/sliding it off from the opposite side. I also have rack pads on the crossbars which did help with it sliding off without doing any damage.

Sparkherd

Badlands
First Name
Sparky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sparkherd.com
Vehicle(s)
Lifelong Ford guy.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I bought the Turn OffRoad half rack since Ford screwed me on the $365 OEM rack that I ordered on my Bronco.
I haven't taken the aft top off since I installed the rack...I be a-thinkin it'll be heavier, but easier to grab.
Ford Bronco Hardtop/ Roof rack  Removal turn_offroad_roof_rack_3
Ford Bronco Hardtop/ Roof rack  Removal turn_offroad_roof_rack_4

Sponsored

Luckylat

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Expedition, 2013 VW Wagon, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thanks for the advice.
I have both the OEM full rack and a 1/2 rack. The OEM rack we use with a Thule Ski rack for downhill & CC skis. The 1/2 rack is used for summer to carry beach gear and /or camping equipment and allow us to take off the MIC roof panels when weather permits.
Being tall it is not that difficult for me to remove and install the racks. I use a moving blanket to protect the top when I first place either rack on the roof. Carefully removing the blanket as I secure each rack mount. It takes me an about 1 - 1 1/2 hours to prepare and swap out the racks.
Worthwhile for us to be able to drive on the beach or in mountains over the summer with the top panels off.
NOTE: If we leave our panels behind, I carry a Rain Gear 1/2 cover if parked over night or should we encounter bad weather during our stopovers.

Dantastic

Outer Banks
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
OBX Sas Bronco, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have the OEM Roofrack and I'll tell you what .... removing that thing is my most hated part of going topless. I LOVE the look of the roofrack but because of the pain in the but to remove it when going topless, I've opted to keep it in storage. I use 4 of these to store it overhead when off:

Ford Bronco Hardtop/ Roof rack  Removal 1713535303143-i5

You can get the mid panel off with the rack on by removing the front screws, wedging a rag between the rack and your front windshield pillar (to create more space), and scoot the mid panel up and then off.

Wathoff24

Outer Banks
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks for the advice.
I removed the roof rails on outer banks last week. It's the only way to get the center hard top off. The rear clamps that hold the rails seemed a little awkward to release. Plan to leave the rails off all summer or more. Don't know about the hoist yet...haven't invested in one.

Bellime

Outer Banks
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I removed the roof rails on outer banks last week. It's the only way to get the center hard top off. The rear clamps that hold the rails seemed a little awkward to release. Plan to leave the rails off all summer or more. Don't know about the hoist yet...haven't invested in one.
I sold my OEM Roof Rack for that very reason, bought a rack from Hooke Road.

Wathoff24

Outer Banks
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I sold my OEM Roof Rack for that very reason, bought a rack from Hooke Road.
The half roof rack from Hooke road is pretty cool! I would imagine one could build their own hoist and attach to that to remove the entire rear top section.
Sponsored