Sponsored

Have i made a huge error not getting the 4A mode?

Cozzer

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Land Rover, BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hi Guys and Gals.

I'm after some advice.

when ordering my Broco, the dealer made it seem the that optional 4A mode was more for heavy duty off roading and that i wouldn't really need it everyday driving. But now after i've taken delivery of the vehicle, more information has been coming out about the 4A mode, i now think that it would have been very useful for driving on regular roads and highways in slippery icy and rainy conditions. Have i made a huge error not getting the 4A mode?
Sponsored

jorgem31

Outer Banks
First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You took delivery. You really want everyone's opinion on something you can't change now?

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's a matter of opinion.

4A is more of an AWD-like mode. Basically like if someone took a standard AWD system and a standard 4x4 system and squashed them together.

In my opinion, would it have been a handy feature to have from time to time? Probably. Is it necessary? No, definitely not.

4-high without lockers would probably be able to do 95%+ of what 4-auto can do. My chosen build comes with 4A, but if I could get it without 4A to save some money I would. I don't view it as mandatory at all.

Sponsored

Go_Galt

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

IMO, no. But I've found opinions vary wildly on here, when it comes to 4 Auto.

I've traveled and commuted in harsh winters my entire adult life- when I've needed 4WD, I use it. When I don't, I don't. Unless you just can't live without the set-and-forget convenience, I definitely wouldn't feel like you got a 'bad' transfer case.

The only reason I want it is the shorter gear reduction in 4 Low.

iamchewby

Badlands
First Name
Chewby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well, dealer was once again wrong. 4A is good for every day "you may or may not need 4 wheels spinning" driving on slick surfaces and 4L is your "heavy duty" off road gear.

That said, you're going to be just fine. You need 4 wheel drive a lot less often than you think and with these new transfer cases it takes nothing to push the button and put it in 4H. Just relax and enjoy your Bronco :)

OP
OP

Cozzer

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Land Rover, BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It's a matter of opinion.

4A is more of an AWD-like mode. Basically like if someone took a standard AWD system and a standard 4x4 system and squashed them together.

In my opinion, would it have been a handy feature to have from time to time? Probably. Is it necessary? No, definitely not.

4-high without lockers would probably be able to do 95%+ of what 4-auto can do. My chosen build comes with 4A, but if I could get it without 4A to save some money I would. I don't view it as mandatory at all.

Thanks RagnarKon for your detailed opinion.

Bison

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj cruiser, Power wagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It would have been beneficial if you are on the high way and streets a lot. Would have made your life easier.

Sponsored

uncledoodoo

Everglades
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 XJ, 56 F100, 11 Volvo XC90, Everglades
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

its pretty high on the bang-for-buck ratio, yeah. But I wouldn't sweat it.

OP
OP

Cozzer

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Land Rover, BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Well, dealer was once again wrong. 4A is good for every day "you may or may not need 4 wheels spinning" driving on slick surfaces and 4L is your "heavy duty" off road gear.

That said, you're going to be just fine. You need 4 wheel drive a lot less often than you think and with these new transfer cases it takes nothing to push the button and put it in 4H. Just relax and enjoy your Bronco :)
Thanks iamchewby, i appreciate your response

Drafting_Monkey

Black Diamond
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 GT/CS, 20 Honda Insight EX & 19 Mazda CX9
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
When I had my F-150 I just used 4H in snowy conditions, don't need 4X anything for rain IMO. I actually dropped 4A when I redid my order. Snow tires and driver skills will get you through 95% of the conditions out there on the road in winter.

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I got it and I'm glad I did, but I don't think it's really necessary. For intermittent snow and ice, you should be much more concerned about stopping and turning than going.

OP
OP

Cozzer

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Land Rover, BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
When I had my F-150 I just used 4H in snowy conditions, don't need 4X anything for rain IMO. I actually dropped 4A when I redid my order. Snow tires and driver skills will get you through 95% of the conditions out there on the road in winter.
Ya, i agree, im not too bothered, i just think it would have been helpful for the missus. Thanks (y)
Sponsored