Sponsored

HELP!! Need to work through locker or no locker!!

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
4A gives you that sort of All wheel Drive mode that is safe to use regardless of the surface conditions.
That tcase will allow front and rear drive shafts to turn at different speeds for full-time 4 wheel drive on pavement. It will include some form of slippage or differential action. Some of those cases also have a locking feature to act like a regular locked tcase. I am talking in general - haven't seen much on the Bronco offering.

EDIT: Also has anyone heard of a low crawler gear option in the Bronco tcase, similar to the 4:1 offering by Jeep?
Sponsored

The_Phew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2.3L 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It appears that there is a T-case that is optional that has a 4A mode. I just don't think anyone here knows how much it is going to cost. My gues would be a couple thousand.
I'm more excited about the automatic transfer case (in conjunction with a manual transmission! A combo not available since the FJ cruiser offered it) than lockers. I'll probably still get a Badlands, since I think I want the High and maybe even Lux packages, but a lower trim with the automatic transfer case would probably handle anything I could ever ask of a SUV.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

hmm, spending extra 5k on features I won't use, doesn't sound like much of a value. Too bad Ford doesn't offer a version with 35" tires, for owners who are into that sort of look, without all the capability and features some owners will never use.
There will be a lift kit of some sort at some point and then you can put on 35". So if you are just wanting the look... i would not spend the 5k.

There is of course the infamous 2" factory lift and a 3rd party talking about a 4" lift in design.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
There will be a lift kit of some sort at some point and then you can put on 35". So if you are just wanting the look... i would not spend the 5k.

There is of course the infamous 2" factory lift and a 3rd party talking about a 4" lift in design.
yeah I imagine there will be various 3rd party lifts with 35"s as an option. Some people seem to want the Sasquatch look but not so much the Sasquatch functionality, or at least they have no real use for it. If Ford doesn't accommodate maybe 3rd party will.

Personally I would be using the Bronco for offroading steep rocky trails in the mountains and prefer 33" tires - probably going base model with aftermarket 33s.

Sponsored

bdub2you

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

so in what case would you need a locker vs regular traction control?? just needing both tires to spin vs TC locking up one tire forcing the others to spin?
Here is a great video on youtube that explains when you use rear lockers and front lockers. I'd say that almost no one except people that are doing hard core rock crawling need front lockers. I've used rear lockers on many occasions.

OP
OP
DonM

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4DR Base Sasquatch 2.3 in VB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I can't believe this got to five pages.
Neither can I....it did take a break with a short talk about the Solo Stove. However, it's back on track now.

After the several responses about 'wheeling with open diffs and realizing that I haven't had any type of traction control on my vehicles, except for 4A in my old Armada, including my S-10 Blazer that I off-roaded in SoCal, I pretty comfortable in thinking that I DON'T need it. However, I will at least get the rear locker if I get a BB or OB, but that is more for gearing than the actual locker.
But if I go Base, it'll be 2.7 + Sasquatch.

However, that'll be a final decision in December!

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Neither can I....it did take a break with a short talk about the Solo Stove. However, it's back on track now.

After the several responses about 'wheeling with open diffs and realizing that I haven't had any type of traction control on my vehicles, except for 4A in my old Armada, including my S-10 Blazer that I off-roaded in SoCal, I pretty comfortable in thinking that I DON'T need it. However, I will at least get the rear locker if I get a BB or OB, but that is more for gearing than the actual locker.

I actually advocate for most pickup buyers to get 2WD and a rear locker as it will do most of what they think they need 4WD to do. I'd like to see rear lockers standard, but your stated case doesn't really even need that.

A 2.7l Base-Squatch is more than most will ever use and a heck of a fun "base" model.

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Base plus 2.7 + Sasquatch....Thats where I'm at too after many months of thinking...I've had to engage the lockers a few times here in Colorado. It made the difference between staying stuck and getting unstuck. I drive home in blizzards at 3am in the morning after plowing snow at the airport. To me its worth it. I once drove past 50 stuck cars/trucks on my way home.

Sponsored
OP
OP
DonM

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Here is a great video on youtube that explains when you use rear lockers and front lockers. I'd say that almost no one except people that are doing hard core rock crawling need front lockers. I've used rear lockers on many occasions.
Liked the video. Just what I needed.

OP
OP
DonM

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I actually advocate for most pickup buyers to get 2WD and a rear locker as it will do most of what they think they need 4WD to do. I'd like to see rear lockers standard, but your stated case doesn't really even need that.

A 2.7l Base-Squatch is more than most will ever use and a heck of a fun "base" model.
I went more places in a 2WD S-10 with open diffs, manual and 55 gallon drum of paint thinner then would have been expected. I used to deliver auto parts and I'd take that combo out on snowy days over the cargo van. So I completely get the 2WD truck idea.

Matter of fact my first F-150 was a manual 2WD with open rear diff. It went where I needed it to go to. Light work on trails to run my dog. A locker in the back would have been golden. Extra weight in the back also helped.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Another good video... I know one of the cons is the clicking you hear, but this video is all about the Front Locker and shows some really good IFS before and After.

IFS Front Locker Before and After

Megawatt

First Name
JO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lifted Rubicon usually off-road.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
A selectable real locker was the first mod to my Jeep. I have had it installed for 7 years. When I use the rear locker it is engaged until I am over the obstacle I need to get past and then I turn it off. I have probably had it engaged for a total time less than 8 minutes. My locker has kept me from getting in trouble and It has gotten me out of trouble. It has been worth the price for me. I don’t have a front locker and haven’t even consider one. Sure, it would be nice but the $ per use is not there for me.

I don’t know how the Ford unit works but some of the oem lockers will turn off automatically when you hit a certain speed. It is not something you drive around locked up. I use my locker at walking speeds.

When a front locker is engaged you pretty much can not turn. So think of it as a straight forward use Item.

If you got $ to burn or want the best insurance for the “just in case” get both lockers. I don’t want that to sound in a bad way. A locker used once can be a life saver. Just depends on if your comfortable with the price tag that comes with it. I know many Jeep Rubicon owners that never go offroad and I have no problem with them. They simply wanted the best equipment.
Sponsored