Sponsored

How Did you Lift your Badlands Sasquatch (& CV Angles)

darkscion0

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mini Cooper
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Information on lifting the Badsquatch has been absolutely all over the place and many lift manufacturers are not compensating or even mentioning CV angles/tolerances. Consensus is that the Badsquatch CVs are already at the tolerance limit at max droop and won't survive a lift without doing something to compensate for the increased angle.

For those that have successfully lifted their Badsquatch, what lift did you go with and what did you do about the CV angles?

Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP
darkscion0

darkscion0

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mini Cooper
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've already taken care of the steering weak points, all about that lift and CV angles now.

Curious what other's experiences are as well.

But from what I've seen... the weak leak at the moment seems to be the steering components—not the CVs angles.

CyberVegas

First Edition
First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BRONCO
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I did a 3” icon lift with the Broncbuster steering rack bushing and rpg one piece tie rods. steering feels tighter which I really like and have had no issues. running 37x12.5” Mickey Thompson Baja bosses on stock sas wheels.

AD81A44F-2D4C-4590-B480-32F78E79B24C.jpeg

Draughon

Badlands
First Name
Daylon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 4-Series
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm curious on this as well - If I put in a 2.5 - 3'' lift and new UCAs... what else do i need to do besides upgraded tie-rods and steering?

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wonder the same thing. I want to bring the front up about 3/4" on my standard BL. A single 3/8" spacer should about accomplish that. I just don't want to stress those CVs.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
darkscion0

darkscion0

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mini Cooper
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You'd probably be fine leveling the front. I wouldn't suspect that 1" would add much stress to the CVs.

I wonder the same thing. I want to bring the front up about 3/4" of an inch on my standard BL. A single 3/8" spacer should about accomplish that. I just don't want to stress those CVs.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I think you answered your own question. Rough Country is the only lift manufacturer I have seen that has a diff drop, and I'm not sure I would trust them to be the leaders in figuring this out. BroncBuster is the only Bronco I have seen hitting it hard with a lift, and we know what he did to his CVs. I think most are just ignoring it and enjoying the look on the pavement, not that there's anything wrong with that.

OP
OP
darkscion0

darkscion0

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mini Cooper
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nice, I did the Broncbuster tierod brace and bushing. Although my steering shaft is slightly out of spec so the bushing ended up making the steering heavy and it stopped recentering on it own. They said they're seeing it on 1/20 Broncos and they sent me out a slightly modified one for free.

I did a 3” icon lift with the Broncbuster steering rack bushing and rpg one piece tie rods. steering feels tighter which I really like and have had no issues. running 37x12.5” Mickey Thompson Baja bosses on stock sas wheels.

Virtual-Chris

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Ford Bronco How Did you Lift your Badlands Sasquatch (& CV Angles) AD81A44F-2D4C-4590-B480-32F78E79B24C
Have you checked for binding at full droop?

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You'd probably be fine leveling the front. I wouldn't suspect that 1" would add much stress to the CVs.
That's the thing, we're still in the "probably" stage and nobody seems to know for sure. If Icon is getting 2" more travel out of their kits with stock CVs that's a good sign, but the fact that Ford limited travel for Sasquatch weighs heavy.

Sponsored

Lurker B6G

Outer Banks
First Name
Murph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Curious what other's experiences are as well.

I've been chatting with my father about this (retired Ford engineer), and he was guessing that you can do a 1 - 2" lift without much of an issue unless you are really beating your Bronco against the rocks. Anything larger than 2" will definitely require new control arms to correct the geometry, and you quickly run into CV angle issues.

But from what I've seen... the weak leak at the moment seems to be the steering components—not the CVs angles.
I would agree, but even a little more conservative. I would say that for those who have Sasquatch, there is up to about 1" of spacer lift left, and about 2 inches of combined spacer + spring preload to stay in the "bonified safe range". Or just 2 inches of spring preload - But I personally plan to keep the Bilstein's closer to the middle of their range, and therefore would only employ a very small amount of preload to them (the less the better - or none at all).

But, the safe range is not were everyone needs to be. Without being disparaging, if it is only being driven around town (like my wife's will) there is considerably more latitude regarding what risks are acceptable. In this user group I would say that 3 inches total is about the max (still 4.2" above Base!).

These numbers are pretty well observable in the kits that are available. But the important thing to note here is that the kits are clearly pushing well into the "driving around town" group. If you want to hold to the "safe range", you are most likely going to have to group up some parts yourself, and hold to about 2 inches or less of total lift. For instance, I have been considering using a 1.5 inch leveling kit combined with the small perch collars from the Zone kit (guessing another 0.5 lift) and the little (0.4") differential drop from the 3.5" RC kit (using 1.6" spacers in the back). Pain in the ass to get the parts, but would be a very safe way to get 2 inches of lift while keeping the Bilstein's centered, and the CV's would only see 1.6 inches added. I think that the stock UCA would be fine and the stock rear track bar would be fine for most any use. But everyone should do what works for them - and I will change my mind three more times before I get the Bronco.

Also, this discussion is really about ANY Sasquatch lift. From the standpoint of CV angles and such, there is no difference between the Badlands Sasquatch and any other Sasquatch. The Sasquatch is a blessing and a curse. As the OP pointed out, it is already pretty much giving all there is to give. So modifying it can only result in minor gains (without spending a small fortune). Those without it will have many more options, but they also will fall on the same, if not somewhat reduced, overall limits.

I feel that some of the manufacturers have put out kits will not play well in the long run for any but the most tame users - and would also look forward to hearing more information about these issues.

OP
OP
darkscion0

darkscion0

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mini Cooper
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
ICON just posted their stage 3 - 8 lifts and they're actually getting 3" out of the lifts. I asked about CVs in that thread and they stated that they're limiting droop so it does not stress the CVs. I assume what they're doing is reducing droop while adding lift. They're probably using shorter shock bodies and the increased travel is all up-travel.

That's the thing, we're still in the "probably" stage and nobody seems to know for sure. If Icon is getting 2" more travel out of their kits with stock CVs that's a good sign, but the fact that Ford limited travel for Sasquatch weighs heavy.

OP
OP
darkscion0

darkscion0

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mini Cooper
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Also to note. I reached out to RCV and posed the same question to them regarding their axle CV tolerances. They did tell me that their joints are typically good for up to 28 degrees but unfortunately could not tell me how that compares to the tolerances of the stock CV joints so I'm not sure if strictly running RCV axles would solve the situation.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

ICON just posted their stage 3 - 8 lifts and they're actually getting 3" out of the lifts. I asked about CVs in that thread and they stated that they're limiting droop so it does not stress the CVs. I assume what they're doing is reducing droop while adding lift. They're probably using shorter shock bodies and the increased travel is all up-travel.
2" more travel, not lift. Icon advertises 11.5 in the front and BL is 9.4 stock. If it's all extra up travel that's less useful.

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I did a 1.5” diff drop to alleviate CV angles. SAS FE. Even with a 2.5” higher ride height above factory SAS, my CVs are near perfect factory angles even when maxed in compression or extension. I highly suggest it.
Sponsored