Sponsored

how does 2-door Bronco handle high winds?

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm wondering how the 2-door Bronco handles high winds? Getting close to buying a used one and hadn't thought about this till yesterday - we had really high winds in Virginia yesterday and a 2-door Wrangler I was in was all over the road. If the 2-door Bronco is similar then I'm going to opt for the longer wheelbase. Appreciate any input - Kit
Our road trip home from picking up the Bronco included a helluva snowstorm coming across South Dakota. We could feel and hear severe crosswinds, but it really didn't feel much different than driving another SUV. Maybe the weight help keep it planted, but no unusual course corrections were needed and no one was concerned.
Sponsored

Bugkillah

Base
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Nissan 370Z Nismo, Nissan Frontier
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have both a wrangler and a bronco, the wranglers are horrible handlers, all over the road with no wind. Solid front axle.

Independent front suspension (IFS) on bronco drives like a car. Handles 10x better.

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Cut him some slack - It was clearly a typo. He means here:

1710277345361-oc.png
We've got the Appellations, the designations, the names and nicknames . . . all the best monikers! Everybody says so. Denotations and nomenclature like nobody's every seen . . .
:cool:

HeliPilot

Badlands
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.7L SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It’s not any worse than my F150 Raptor in high winds

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I cross a pretty good bridge back and forth to work and on windy days my Bronco gets pushed around pretty good that I'll actually drop down to the speed limit or below to stay in my lane. It's a brick and a good broadside gust will make it jump just like any other box on wheels out there.

Sponsored

HP11

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Boss 302 (sold) , 2023 Ford Bronco WildTrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Looks like we have onboard sidewind assistance when our Bronco encounters a sidewind. I found this under Stability Control in our owners manual:

"Side Wind Stabilization
Side wind stabilization is an advanced feature that works by carefully applying the brakes on one side of the vehicle to reduce the effect of a side wind gust on the vehicle's path."

OP
OP

KitCarson3

First Name
Kit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Our road trip home from picking up the Bronco included a helluva snowstorm coming across South Dakota. We could feel and hear severe crosswinds, but it really didn't feel much different than driving another SUV. Maybe the weight help keep it planted, but no unusual course corrections were needed and no one was concerned.
That's reassuring. From what you and others have said it's clear that Bronco is much better than that Wrangler was. It was scary in the high wind

Rick66

Big Bend
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150(sold), S197 GT C/S (sold) 22 2DR BB EG SAS V6
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
2DR BB SAS. It handles cross wind sooo much better than I expected.
Like previously stated by others, any large steel sail will catch some wind, whether a Bronco, 4x4 truck, minivan, or Sprinter.
Buy the 2DR! You will love it!

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It's really not that bad....

forza-horizon-4-hoonigan-ford-bronco.gif

Just remember to counter steer a bit

images (3).jpeg

It'll be fine.

I have never had a problem, even towing a camper.

Sponsored

23_Badlands

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 2d SAS 7sp(AB) Hi Tow Modular Hoop
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Have a '23 2dr Badlands SAS. Drives like a big go-kart thanks to the short wheelbase. Steering is quick and nimble--feels stable and planted at all speeds. The only time we notice cross-winds is when the interior wind noise picks-up.

Back in Jan, towed our 2500 lb. teardrop trailer 4,000 miles on a cross-country trip. We've towed lots of bigger rigs in the past. This combo was the best ever. Towed like it was on rails---required very little steering input during the entire trip.

Jkoren12345

Outer Banks
First Name
Jkor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 dr 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm wondering how the 2-door Bronco handles high winds? Getting close to buying a used one and hadn't thought about this till yesterday - we had really high winds in Virginia yesterday and a 2-door Wrangler I was in was all over the road. If the 2-door Bronco is similar then I'm going to opt for the longer wheelbase. Appreciate any input - Kit
It handles really well in wind, rain etc. It's a truck, so it's only gonna be so smooth but the IFS works well to keep it pointing straight and drives a hell of alot better then my Xterra ever did. You'll be fine...

TX-Dennis

Wildtrak
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It's pretty windy here in the southern edge of the high plains, but the Bronco handles it well.
Sponsored