potatohead

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I got the 2023 base bronco 4 door non-sas around April and have about 2300 miles on it. It seems to ride rougher now than when I first got it and I'm trying to figure out why. No changes to suspension or wheels, stock steelies. I can feel pretty much every bump on the road, including manhole covers.

For comparison, I also have a toyota tacoma double cab 6 ft bed and it seems to ride a lot smoother (tacomas have gear hunting transmission known to not be great ride to begin with).

Wanting to get some feedback on how your ride quality is on the base bronco.
Sponsored

buzzcutt2

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Compared to what? IT rides better than my previous vehicles, but I'm poor.

KillerPenz

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
BaseSquatch here, so different suspension. I will say mine rides just fine for what it is. Broncos never rode soft, and I've owned an '84,'93 &'94.
I'm guessing your previous vehicles all rode soft?

OP
OP

potatohead

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
BaseSquatch here, so different suspension. I will say mine rides just fine for what it is. Broncos never rode soft, and I've owned an '84,'93 &'94.
I'm guessing your previous vehicles all rode soft?
my previous were not soft, trying to figure out if what I have is normal for the bronco or if there is something wacky with the transmission

Bronccraig

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Challenger RT Hemi Orange
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Base BB here…I love it…

Sponsored

KillerPenz

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
my previous were not soft, trying to figure out if what I have is normal for the bronco or if there is something wacky with the transmission
So by ride rougher you mean shifts harder? Because you said you feel every bump in the road, and I can't see how a transmission would translate to that. Which the brings me back to stiff vs soft suspension.

Dover157

Black Diamond
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Probably air tire pressure
Probably this. My stick non sas BD 2dr came from the factory at recommended 39 psi cold. Chalk test shows best contact at 36psi hot. Much better ride too but definitely a bit squishy at 33 ish when I first start it up.

RC Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '97 Geo Tracker
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My black Diamond rides absolutely wonderfully

OP
OP

potatohead

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
So by ride rougher you mean shifts harder? Because you said you feel every bump in the road, and I can't see how a transmission would translate to that. Which the brings me back to stiff vs soft suspension.
good point, I feel bumps and it seems to “jerk” in what feels like should be smooth road

more noticeable at slow speeds

Sponsored

Brnzbronc

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Could also have a blown shock.. mine have definitely loosened up and have some shimmy on bumps

KillerPenz

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
good point, I feel bumps and it seems to “jerk” in what feels like should be smooth road

more noticeable at slow speeds
I'm going to suggest you take it back to dealer and let them check it out. That doesn't sound normal.

Mine will hop if I hit a bump on a turn going 45+. My suspenion/steering does not jerk. This being a suggestive term could be a number of things. Something with your steering. Frozen caliper on a Jeep used to cause death wobble at low speeds, so frozen caliper maybe. As someone suggested, bad shock. Without knowing exactly what it's doing (which I get is probably hard to describe), anything we say is just a crap shoot. So let the dealer check it out is best bet.

LowerSlowerDelaware

Base
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Chevy S10 Ram 3500
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

What’s your driving mode? Normal, Ecco or Sport?

As mentioned, drop your tire pressure, put her in Sport and it will feel like a different Bronco all together.

Swapped out the Base Wheels/Tires for some low miles OBX takeoffs and the Bridgestones gave our Base a much improved ride and cornering.

SuperDave150

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150, Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have a non-SAS Outer Banks which is the identical suspension. Only the tires are different. I love the ride - much better than my F150 or my wife’s Edge or my buddy’s Tacoma. And I have a bad back so I’m particularly sensitive to this.

I think @Dover157 is on the right track with regards to hot/cold difference in pressure. I see that you got it in the cool month of April & you live in the blessed Republic of Texas, where there is a heat wave. That Is non trivial.

I got mine in January and the dealer had aired the tires to 36+ PSI. Rode like a stiff legged horse just as you describe. I aired down to 32 and it was better. I aired down to 30 front / 28 rear and now it is just right. Then the hot summer came and I noticed that was get stiff again. I dropped some but not a whole lot because safety on road trips.

Also, rubber hardens with heat cycles, which may explain a little bit.

soldier989

Base
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Base MT / 2021 MX-5 GT / 1966 Ford F10
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have a base 7MT 2 door. I did put Big Bend take-offs on it at 500 miles. I'm now at 2300 miles and it rides the same as it always has, like a full framed truck, I can feel most bumps. I wouldn't expect anything less. Running the tires at 36psi, so it fluctuates a little up or down due to temp.
Sponsored