Sponsored

How many have owned lifted vehicles with 35+" tires?

MarcTut

Outer Banks
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Honda Civic Si, '20 Colorado Z71
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Do you have real death wobble or vibrations? Big tires and vibrations at highway speeds are a thing, and can be hard to fix. (Some swear by glass beads.)

Death wobble where you feel like something broke and the car is shaking apart is usually from worn parts (for me it was track bar bushings, but could be ball joints or tie rod / drag link joints).

There is a death wobble issue in JLs and JTs that apparently either stem from the electric steering or a weak sector shaft brace / track bar mount. If that is what youā€™re experiencing synergy, JKS and others make a strengthening bracket. If you donā€™t want to wait for FCA to do a recall to fix the issue for real, then I would go that route with a heavier steering damper as well.

(FCA hasnā€™t fixed excessive 3.8 oil burning in 12 years, so donā€™t hold your breath.)
Thanks for the advice but that was several years and I no longer have the Jeep. It was definitely death wobble and not a vibration. I thought the Jeep would come apart the first few times it happened and Iā€™d have to slow down as fast as possible down to about 15mph in fear that Iā€™d wobble over into other lanes uncontrollability In just a few seconds (or that something would break if I didnā€™t stop asap). I honestly canā€™t believe nothing breaks when it comes on but it happened all the time after putting on the 35s and nothing ever did come loose or break.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

That's interesting. My Jeep was relatively new when I lifted it and put on the 35s (~4k miles) so wear wasn't an issue. I had two mechanics look into alignment, etc for any issues and nobody could find anything. Having conversations with others at a few rock climbing events (where everyone is on lifted jeeps) it seemed like death wobble is just something that everyone with a Jeep deals with when you have an off-road rig on a highway, so I assumed my problem was the norm and not an outlier, but then it seems like everyone in this thread has had no issues so idk.
Do you have real death wobble or vibrations? Big tires and vibrations at highway speeds are a thing, and can be hard to fix. (Some swear by glass beads.)

Death wobble where you feel like something broke and the car is shaking apart is usually from worn parts (for me it was track bar bushings, but could be
Thanks for the advice but that was several years and I no longer have the Jeep. It was definitely death wobble and not a vibration. I thought the Jeep would come apart the first few times it happened and Iā€™d have to slow down as fast as possible down to about 15mph in fear that Iā€™d wobble over into other lanes uncontrollability In just a few seconds (or that something would break if I didnā€™t stop asap). I honestly canā€™t believe nothing breaks when it comes on but it happened all the time after putting on the 35s and nothing ever did come loose or break.
Yep - thatā€™s the same real deal I experienced. With me it was the move to 34ā€™s, but that was at 110k miles.

Theoretically, a Bronco with IFS will not allow the sideways play a Wrangler with SFA does, especially if Badlands and above come with A arms and components design to handle 35ā€™s.

In response to the thread, I still think going to 35ā€™s will wear stuff faster and (being harder to balance) may cause non-death level vibrations and wanderlust at highway speeds. Especially on a 2 door. Time will tell ...

Trainerii

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150, Ford Explorer, mustang,broncoii
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Broke a lot of ujointā€™s on my 76 with 35ā€™s so went to 33ā€™s and broke everything else but never had another ujoint fail.

Datoad

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Jeep LJ Rubicon, 17 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There have been a few threads discussing 33's vs 35's, running Squatch vs not and it got me wondering, how many have owned lifted vehicles with 35+" tires?

I've had 4 or 5 lifted trucks running 35's, 37's, 38's on anywhere from 4-6" lifts. I'm content with a Squatch pkg and 35s (actually hoping there is a factory option for a 2" lift and 37s).
I run 35ā€™s on my ā€˜06 LJ

D8168573-DA26-484B-A90E-176099109B3E.png

Sponsored

Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base
DD a 35" JK now. No complaints.
The Bronco, with its round wheel well and IFS, looks really good and should ride softly on tall sidewall 33"s.

Hulkbuster19

Badlands
First Name
Mike Moore
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
chevy tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There have been a few threads discussing 33's vs 35's, running Squatch vs not and it got me wondering, how many have owned lifted vehicles with 35+" tires?

I've had 4 or 5 lifted trucks running 35's, 37's, 38's on anywhere from 4-6" lifts. I'm content with a Squatch pkg and 35s (actually hoping there is a factory option for a 2" lift and 37s).
I would love another 2" on top of the 35's.......

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Death wobble where you feel like something broke and the car is shaking apart is usually from worn parts (for me it was track bar bushings, but could be ball joints or tie rod / drag link joints).

There is a death wobble issue in JLs and JTs that apparently either stem from the electric steering or a weak sector shaft brace / track bar mount. If that is what youā€™re experiencing synergy, JKS and others make a strengthening bracket. If you donā€™t want to wait for FCA to do a recall to fix the issue for real, then I would go that route with a heavier steering damper as well.

(FCA hasnā€™t fixed excessive 3.8 oil burning in 12 years, so donā€™t hold your breath.)
FCA actually released a new steering box fix for the JTs and JLs. Per the Forums, it looks like it is fixing the problem. I have a JT that doesn't have the problem, but I will probably take it in and get it swapped to future proof the issue. The Fox stabilizer seems to make a big difference too. Its inexpensive and easy to install. So I will probably get it to help fix any issues before they happen. At the moment the truck drives great. You can tell there is a solid axle up front though.
Sponsored