Sponsored

How many have owned lifted vehicles with 35+" tires?

ausherpharmd

Black Diamond
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Tucson
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

37s on 2018 JLU. No issues; smooth ride.
Sponsored

MarcTut

Outer Banks
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Honda Civic Si, '20 Colorado Z71
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Wow. Yeah, I didn't put that much into it. And I don't have the Jeep anymore. Sure am glad shouldnt have to worry about this as a common thing on the Broncos.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Amazes me that none of you had issues with death wobble. Maybe its a Jeep thing but I put 35s on my Jeep Rubicon when it was still new and couldn't go 100 miles without an instance of major death wobble. I didn't care much cause the Jeep looked awesome...until a few instances where it almost killed me with oncoming traffic. I realize the independent suspension on the Bronco may protect against this, and that 35s or even 37s would look killer, but the bigger tires mean a lot more noise, greater wear on components, make your vehicle a lot slower, and put a hurt on mpg. I do a ton of highway driving so mine will probably just be keeping the stock 32" or 33" tires for a while. I'll be admiring all the monster Broncos out there though.
I have had, and defeated death wobble on my own jeeps, and customer vehicles. It can be a real sumbeotch to sort out, but it can always be fixed!

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

35's and a 6 inch lift on my 2011 f150. My 16 year old boy is getting this next year when I get the Bronco.
IMG_33001(1).jpg

Nothing wrong with your kid getting that, but be prepared. Kids learn a lot in that 16-18 year old period, usually at the expense of the vehicle. Went through it with both my kids. Good, responsible kids, but lack of experience. It will get scratched, dented, something broke, etc. Prepare for that now so you don't take it out on them later.

I remember what I was like when I was 16. We had to replace front end components twice on the '79 Chevy. There might have been a jump I hit a time or two a wee bit fast.

G2SKIER

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Built 17 ZR2 37s. New Silverado LT, RZR Turbo S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
all depends on setup, but generally 35 and down for daily. true 37s and up are in a different class. I run true measuring 37" black label (really sticky) patagonias on my 17 zr2 and I dont daily it anymore. the new silverado is staying bone stock on 31" highway tires. The bronco will be getting 35-37" mt tires as it will be a secondary vehicle for the weekend.

Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This thread reminds me regularly of why I don't have my Jeep anymore. Not that we know how the Bronco will act, but solid axle front ends make a lot of compromises in tire wear (camber), stability (caster) and suspension dynamics. The relatively fixed "middle of the road settings" that don't do anything very well, once you get above 10MPH don't make for a very good all around off road vehicle. I know they are more durable and easier to lift. If I was building a mud bogger or rock crawler (or anything for lower speed. off road only use) it would be my go to. Daily driver? I did it, with just 32x11.50 BFG Mud Terrains. It was numb, tracked poorly, terrible ride and wore tires fast. I so hope I can drive the SQ equipped model before I need to pull the trigger.

JT1

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Willys
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This thread reminds me regularly of why I don't have my Jeep anymore. Not that we know how the Bronco will act, but solid axle front ends make a lot of compromises in tire wear (camber), stability (caster) and suspension dynamics. The relatively fixed "middle of the road settings" that don't do anything very well, once you get above 10MPH don't make for a very good all around off road vehicle. I know they are more durable and easier to lift. If I was building a mud bogger or rock crawler (or anything for lower speed. off road only use) it would be my go to. Daily driver? I did it, with just 32x11.50 BFG Mud Terrains. It was numb, tracked poorly, terrible ride and wore tires fast. I so hope I can drive the SQ equipped model before I need to pull the trigger.
Which BFG muds? the OG KM's are trash on road.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Which BFG muds? the OG KM's are trash on road.
I don't remember the model. I actually switched to 31x10.50 BFG A/T for the winter, because the ride and handling was so bad on the 32's. It still sucked, just less. It was an 06 LJ that I loved on the smooth and dry roads of GA. It was awesome off road as well. Other than finding ruts that would high center it (100% ground clearance issue) it was almost unstoppable off road too. Once we moved back to MI, with our terrible roads, snow, ice and at least as much rain, it's ride and handling was just not worth it. I regularly watch Jeep drivers of all vintages sawing at their wheels, trying to stay in their lane, rolling down the road here in MI. I also test drove a new generation Jeep, hoping they made the ride/handling livable. It was actually just as bad or worse in my limited time behind the wheel. Just my experience, solid axle trade off's are too much for me.

JT1

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Willys
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't remember the model. I actually switched to 31x10.50 BFG A/T for the winter, because the ride and handling was so bad on the 32's. It still sucked, just less. It was an 06 LJ that I loved on the smooth and dry roads of GA. It was awesome off road as well. Other than finding ruts that would high center it (100% ground clearance issue) it was almost unstoppable off road too. Once we moved back to MI, with our terrible roads, snow, ice and at least as much rain, it's ride and handling was just not worth it. I regularly watch Jeep drivers of all vintages sawing at their wheels, trying to stay in their lane, rolling down the road here in MI. I also test drove a new generation Jeep, hoping they made the ride/handling livable. It was actually just as bad or worse in my limited time behind the wheel. Just my experience, solid axle trade off's are too much for me.
Funny, I had an 05 LJ. I wheeled my xj harder than I ever did that wrangler, and it was way more stable on road too. Went to a late JK a few years ago and havent looked back.

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

That's interesting. My Jeep was relatively new when I lifted it and put on the 35s (~4k miles) so wear wasn't an issue. I had two mechanics look into alignment, etc for any issues and nobody could find anything. Having conversations with others at a few rock climbing events (where everyone is on lifted jeeps) it seemed like death wobble is just something that everyone with a Jeep deals with when you have an off-road rig on a highway, so I assumed my problem was the norm and not an outlier, but then it seems like everyone in this thread has had no issues so idk.
Do you have real death wobble or vibrations? Big tires and vibrations at highway speeds are a thing, and can be hard to fix. (Some swear by glass beads.)

Death wobble where you feel like something broke and the car is shaking apart is usually from worn parts (for me it was track bar bushings, but could be ball joints or tie rod / drag link joints).

There is a death wobble issue in JLs and JTs that apparently either stem from the electric steering or a weak sector shaft brace / track bar mount. If that is what you’re experiencing synergy, JKS and others make a strengthening bracket. If you don’t want to wait for FCA to do a recall to fix the issue for real, then I would go that route with a heavier steering damper as well.

(FCA hasn’t fixed excessive 3.8 oil burning in 12 years, so don’t hold your breath.)

Chamberlin

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW X4 M40i
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Had 35's on 18" rims from the previous owner, but eventually I swapped out for the same style 17" wheels and new tires when it was time for new rubber. The 416 trailer also had matching 17's and matching tires. The old 18" wheel setup shown below. Regardless of wheel/tire combo I had though, there was always the death wobble issues...the front end was like a damn tuning fork...hit something at just the right speed/force, and that whole janky steering system would start resonating/oscillating, ripping the steering wheel out of your hand. Never got around to putting beefier steering dampeners on before selling it...got sick of the constant oil leaks (2007 Rubicon 6 speed manual, 4.88 gears).

DSC_4700_zpszlxdevjw.jpg

JT1

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Willys
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Do you have real death wobble or vibrations? Big tires and vibrations at highway speeds are a thing, and can be hard to fix. (Some swear by glass beads.)

Death wobble where you feel like something broke and the car is shaking apart is usually from worn parts (for me it was track bar bushings, but could be ball joints or tie rod / drag link joints).

There is a death wobble issue in JLs and JTs that apparently either stem from the electric steering or a weak sector shaft brace / track bar mount. If that is what you’re experiencing synergy, JKS and others make a strengthening bracket. If you don’t want to wait for FCA to do a recall to fix the issue for real, then I would go that route with a heavier steering damper as well.

(FCA hasn’t fixed excessive 3.8 oil burning in 12 years, so don’t hold your breath.)
Jeep did release another steering box update this month. Looks like they went back to an iron box instead of aluminum. Seems to fix the steering wander/deadspot that has plagued the JLs/JTs since the beginning.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Jeep did release another steering box update this month. Looks like they went back to an iron box instead of aluminum. Seems to fix the steering wander/deadspot that has plagued the JLs/JTs since the beginning.
Lightweight, modern and hip ain't always better ... ;)
Sponsored

Reactions: JT1