First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Defender, 51 Ford F1, motorcycles
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It shorted out the network. It's been a couple years so I double checked my sources (my little brother fixed it after much investigation) It was the collision avoidance part flipping out because of water in the tail light on a MKX. Car did not run, accessories would not work and dash was dark.

He is up to 5 of them. My BIL is a senior master at a different dealer and has seen a few too.
That would honestly be the first time I've heard of such things taking out the CANBUS system. The collision avoidance thing also sounds pretty unlikely for a tail light. These systems are all well separated, and generally total system failures from an issue in an unrelated system are... unusual.

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That would honestly be the first time I've heard of such things taking out the CANBUS system. The collision avoidance thing also sounds pretty unlikely for a tail light. These systems are all well separated, and generally total system failures from an issue in an unrelated system are... unusual.
Yeah, that is why he lost a lot of money figuring it out.

And then like a month later my BIL was like "I had the weirdest thing come in the other day"

:LOL:

The collision avoidance plays with the radio and stuff I guess to get your attention, it is all connected.

TNcoupe

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 1970 Bronco, 1955 T Bird
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

TNcoupe

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 1970 Bronco, 1955 T Bird
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Fine, im first gonna need a montage to drive vehicles without them before I disable those 3
My first 3 cars didn't have any of those so I got used the feel of it pretty quick. A 300+ hp Fox Body Mustang will teach you to drive most anything. They dont go through corners worth a damn and they dont go straight worth a damn. Just push the loud pedal and hope.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Our family has two categories of transport.

First are our stable of classics. Motorcycles mostly. No driver aids. No nannies. No computers. Just chassis, motor, and you.

Second is our fleet of modern vehicles, so we have the option to drive something that is safe, comfortable, and reliable.
Not going to lie. I do like my modern bikes with fuel injection, performance mapping, and ABS. Both my kids ride and I'd much rather have them on a bike with ABS than not.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I love my 98 DR350SE. Very simple. My next oldest vehicle 2011 Ford Edge. It has been very reliable with only brakes a rusty exhaust coupler, tie rod end and half shaft in 110k miles. It has failed to start three times in the past two winters. Ran diagnostics, towed to one dealer and one shop. They couldn’t detect the fault and it just started the next day both times. I read and watch troubleshooting videos and it was insane how many systems could be complicit in a no crank, nonstarter scenario. I ran down a couple of the most obvious and found nothing as well. One year later and no issues. My daughter will be starting her student teaching next year and my bet, the next time it no starts, she gets a new car 😁 probably will have 130k by end of summer, she can have whatever they give her on trade towards her new ride!

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Not going to lie. I do like my modern bikes with fuel injection, performance mapping, and ABS. Both my kids ride and I'd much rather have them on a bike with ABS than not.
It's strange. I hate safety nannies on cars. But on a motorcycle it, dare I say, enhances the riding experience. Strange thing. I'm never going to own a bike without ABS and traction control again.

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It's strange. I hate safety nannies on cars. But on a motorcycle it, dare I say, enhances the riding experience. Strange thing. I'm never going to own a bike without ABS and traction control again.
i agree. i can see if you are tracking a bike not having abs or tc, but on the street. too many things can happen where abs or tc will save your butt.

regarding the bronco. i feel the reliability factor doesn't come down to these nannies. it's more sensor issues that cause problems. o2 sensor, tps sensor, etc. having lane keep, blis, abs, tc are all things that in my opinion make daily driving the car a bit less stressful. our volvo xc60 has a bunch of them. they only get annoying if you don't use your signal, can't stay in your own lane, don't know how to stop before hitting another car or even checking your blind spot. a lot of nannies only cause issues when you don't know how to drive.

Sponsored

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

i agree. i can see if you are tracking a bike not having abs or tc, but on the street. too many things can happen where abs or tc will save your butt.

regarding the bronco. i feel the reliability factor doesn't come down to these nannies. it's more sensor issues that cause problems. o2 sensor, tps sensor, etc. having lane keep, blis, abs, tc are all things that in my opinion make daily driving the car a bit less stressful. our volvo xc60 has a bunch of them. they only get annoying if you don't use your signal, can't stay in your own lane, don't know how to stop before hitting another car or even checking your blind spot. a lot of nannies only cause issues when you don't know how to drive.
I hate them just because I don't like the dinging and lights all the time. I absolutely hate adaptive cruise control which is why I'm not going Lux.

I work on these radars and complicated systems daily. They're, for the most part, reliable. Radar failures are few and far between, camera failures even less. I'm not worried about them, I'd just rather not have them.

As soon as some things are figured out in FOREscan I'll be removing said options. LDWS is first on the list.

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I love my 98 DR350SE. Very simple. My next oldest vehicle 2011 Ford Edge. It has been very reliable with only brakes a rusty exhaust coupler, tie rod end and half shaft in 110k miles. It has failed to start three times in the past two winters. Ran diagnostics, towed to one dealer and one shop. They couldn’t detect the fault and it just started the next day both times. I read and watch troubleshooting videos and it was insane how many systems could be complicit in a no crank, nonstarter scenario. I ran down a couple of the most obvious and found nothing as well. One year later and no issues. My daughter will be starting her student teaching next year and my bet, the next time it no starts, she gets a new car 😁 probably will have 130k by end of summer, she can have whatever they give her on trade towards her new ride!
Edge is a good car, our '08 is sitting at 260k right now. It is getting replaced by the Bronco. It seems once in a great while it forgets to turn on the fuel or fire and it just cranks. Quit cranking, crank it again and then it will light right off like nothing. I met the car just shy of 100k and it did it then too.

Wheel bearings in it are a thorn in my side. At least the Bronco only has half as many of the pressed in POS's and will actually have ground clearance so it isn't always getting stuck in snow.

My oldest street vehicle is my '85 Ranger, it has electric choke. :cool:

MannyG20

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As much as a lot of us don’t care for the various nanny systems and senors on today’s cars we better get used to it. Right now we have a choice but insurance companies and governmental regulations will continue to push/mandate people migrate to cars with these safety features.

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
As much as a lot of us don’t care for the various nanny systems and senors on today’s cars we better get used to it. Right now we have a choice but insurance companies and governmental regulations will continue to push/mandate people migrate to cars with these safety features.
Only things pushing me towards it is vehicle age and rust.

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Vehicles along with the majority of major appliances are all approaching the threshold being "self repairable"... The fight for the right to repair is going to eventually trickle into automobiles as we move further and further into AI and automation.
Sponsored