Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi all,
I didn't expect this to be my introduction to the forum but here goes. Bought this amazing looking garage queen a couple months ago. First time off road, within a few minutes actually, I ran into this puddle. Shortly after get an alert service charging system now.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bronco1010

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There is probably a reason there are no tire tracks leading up to that puddle. These trucks are only as tough as you treat them. Everything can break if you go in over your head. The good thing is you got out and only need and oil change and an alternator.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is it the 2.7L? That does have a lower water clearance, although it looks like it splashed up inside the engine compartment, so you'd probably be outta luck with the 2.3L. The alternator is the issue, unless it gets up in the air intake. You do that in a stock Jeep, you're gonna have the same problem. It is what it is.

Man it sucks, but dems the breaks. I always fret about water crossings if I'm by myself, try to get a stick and poke around. But there's always the possibility I miss something even then. Sorry for your luck.

Here at the local adventure park, some dude decided to cowboy up and drive through a puddle (as a large number of onlookers watched, unable to stop him). That puddle wasn't a puddle but a kinda deep pond. As far as I understand, the top of his Jeep was still visible for several weeks until they could get it pulled out of the muck.

Baja Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco, 20 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Live and learn. Most off roaders know to stay away from water (and that was no puddle either). Bronco alternators are known for not liking water, so…. These trucks are very capable off road, just got back from 4 days down in Baja. Like anything else, driver is 100% at fault of any issues found. Push a little too hard, shit happens.

Sponsored
OP
OP

broncabilly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is it the 2.7L? That does have a lower water clearance, although it looks like it splashed up inside the engine compartment, so you'd probably be outta luck with the 2.3L. The alternator is the issue, unless it gets up in the air intake. You do that in a stock Jeep, you're gonna have the same problem. It is what it is.

Man it sucks, but dems the breaks. I always fret about water crossings if I'm by myself, try to get a stick and poke around. But there's always the possibility I miss something even then. Sorry for your luck.

Here at the local adventure park, some dude decided to cowboy up and drive through a puddle (as a large number of onlookers watched, unable to stop him). That puddle wasn't a puddle but a kinda deep pond. As far as I understand, the top of his Jeep was still visible for several weeks until they could get it pulled out of the muck.
It's the 2.3L. What do you mean by lower water clearance? For the alternator?
I guess I didn't expect splashing water to break the alternator. And I'm totally surprised that water can enter the bottom third of the engine. I've been in water to the top of my tires countless times in my Rovers.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's the 2.3L. What do you mean by lower water clearance? For the alternator?
I guess I didn't expect splashing water to break the alternator. And I'm totally surprised that water can enter the bottom third of the engine. I've been in water to the top of my tires countless times in my Rovers.
On the 2.7, the alternator is something like 6" lower and it makes the water clearance lower. I know the advice when crossing water is not to create waves, to go slow, unless it's only like a foot at deepest level.

On water in the engine compartment, I was also surprised about that, although that appears to be how it works on several types of vehicles. I don't know about Land Rovers, I guess maybe they have a tub? If it were completely sealed, it would make it harder to work on; I think the idea is that, except for the alternator, the engine is sealed and nothing else is affected.

With the 2.3L, I think the water clearance is 33.5" on the Sasquatch, which I think is where water can get into the air intake (the alternator is slightly higher on the 2.3). It's right at the front of the hood, you can see the air intake path. Splashing water, if it gets to the alternator, can knock it out, and as you point out, water is in the engine compartment. I think there are plates and/or replacement alternators that are more waterproof, but they're not stock unfortunately.

Last edited:

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

from the pic it looks like he is still above the intake trap door so I dont see how you get water in the crankcase at least from this pic. All the broncos have alternator location issues...

OP
OP

broncabilly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Definitely the water was below the air intake, by a foot or so. But that's not where the water was anyway, it was in the crankcase. Interesting about the alternator issues, as much as I've read about them I hadn't come across that info.
Thanks

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

First rule of off roading. Always investigate.

Never crest a hill until you know what is on the other side. Never drive into water until you know how deep it is. I have seen what looks like just leaves covering the ground and it turned out to be 3 foot deep water hole. As far as the dirt under the hood it looks like the muddy water hit the radiator fan and it sprayed the water everywhere under there.

Just to let you in on a little something ......... There are other issues with the Bronc so just be forwarned. The tie rods are the first that come to mind. Just remember you own a Bronco now not a Land Rover. This is the vehicle of the common man not champagne and caviar. ;)

Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Definitely the water was below the air intake, by a foot or so. But that's not where the water was anyway, it was in the crankcase. Interesting about the alternator issues, as much as I've read about them I hadn't come across that info.
Thanks

I believe what @vrtical is referring to is the trap door in the air box (where the air filter is). There is one in there to let out water in the air box that makes it past the air inlet ( part between the grille and hood)

Billnchristy

Black Diamond
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bmw m440i gc,2022 BD 2dr, 1966 mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

How long did she sit like that?

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks
The crankcase I don't know, hadn't heard of that before. I guess I assumed "broken alternator" related to it getting water-related damage, is that wrong? Was it literally broken? That would seem to indicate some kind of impact (and maybe explain the crankcase?).

OP
OP

broncabilly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The crankcase I don't know, hadn't heard of that before. I guess I assumed "broken alternator" related to it getting water-related damage, is that wrong? Was it literally broken? That would seem to indicate some kind of impact (and maybe explain the crankcase?).
Yeah I think I'm more annoyed at the contaminated oil than the alternator. The mechanic says he doesn't know how, maybe the water 'pushed' through a seal or something. Which sounds ridiculous in my mind. By broken, I just meant not working. He said there's some debris in it, probably shorted out.