Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How long did she sit like that?
I dunno maybe 20 minutes.

Also for everyone's amusement:
I kicked my shoes off to attach a front winch line, and walked into the water. With all that was going on it didn't really register but in the back of my mind somewhere I was thinking, 'why is it only mid-shin deep?' It was about that time that the not completely hardened false bottom gave way and I plunged another three feet down, where the real muck was! Oh, and then the skies opened and it started absolutely pouring. I'm really grateful to the several trucks that were out there offering their help, even during the downpour. Good people.
Sponsored

JerryC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
How does the air filter look? That will tell if water got in the intake or not.

OP
OP

broncabilly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Completely dry. I know it doesn't have water in the intake. As I've said, it has water in the crankcase.

Sponsored

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This is one of those problems that takes some serious trouble shooting. The old days it was go replace your dipstick tube o ring but bronco have a ton of vacuum lines to check.

OP
OP

broncabilly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No picture of the oil. It was pretty slimy and chocolate shakey under the cap. Changed the oil within a couple hours. Will flush and change again at least once. Coolant fine. Left it running the whole time (maybe shut it off once?) Other fluids look fine.
Now I'm worried about the uncheckable transmission fluid.

killaz05

Badlands
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands 2.7 Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The alternator on the 2.3L and 2.7L are only maybe an inch difference in height. The alternator was appears to be submerged in your picture plus they don't like muddy/silty water. The picture of your engine bay shows water was splashing everywhere so I am sure the alternator stood no chance.

As far as the water in the crankcase, I think sitting in the water for 20min is what did that in. I was in water for about 3 min before being pulled out in a somewhat similar situation and everything was fine. My problem was that water soaked my air filter and stalled the motor. I would check to ensure there are no oil leaks with the new oil and do the oil change again like you plan to do.

The transmission and differential breather hoses are very high even with it not being an Everglades model. They are by the brake booster in the engine compartment. If those were to be compromised, I think you would have a lot bigger issues going on. I believe your transmission fluid is fine.

Just my thoughts but glad you made it out and it could have been much worse.

OP
OP

broncabilly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have to say, I kind of thought that most people would look at that picture and share my amazement that I'm spending so much on repairs. Others I've shown have looked at pictures and were also incredulous that anything was wrong with it at all. I guess it is what it is.

All this aside, I really do LOVE this truck, a lot more than I expected to in fact. I'm a Rover guy and have had one or another for a long while, currently an LR4. I never had and always wanted a Defender and I had really super high hopes for the Defender before it came out. And then it came out. And while it's a fine vehicle, it just isn't a Defender. When I got this Badlands, I started to realize how it is nearly exactly what Land Rover should have built, albeit with waaaaaay higher quality interior plastics, LOL.

killaz05

Badlands
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands 2.7 Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have to say, I kind of thought that most people would look at that picture and share my amazement that I'm spending so much on repairs. Others I've shown have looked at pictures and were also incredulous that anything was wrong with it at all. I guess it is what it is.

All this aside, I really do LOVE this truck, a lot more than I expected to in fact. I'm a Rover guy and have had one or another for a long while, currently an LR4. I never had and always wanted a Defender and I had really super high hopes for the Defender before it came out. And then it came out. And while it's a fine vehicle, it just isn't a Defender. When I got this Badlands, I started to realize how it is nearly exactly what Land Rover should have built, albeit with waaaaaay higher quality interior plastics, LOL.
The crankcase having water in it, I think many are surprised at like you are. The alternators have been a point of contention, but I have yet to replace mine (knock on wood). One thing you might have wanted to try is washing out the alternator to see if it would be brought back to life. A lot of time it is Silt or so from the mud clogging up the alternator. I installed the revised alternator splash guard Ford is installing (on 2023+ models I believe) and I am a little more confident in it.

Everyone here knows my foray into this mess, but the alternator was fine surprisingly. The Bronco was completely fine and still is to this day some 10k miles later.
Ford Bronco How tough is this thing? A661A9BC-768C-4EDE-B14D-2A1CCF5E0B32

I think the reason you are feeling your doubts is because this is one of the first times out with your Bronco and it was just a bad water hole to get stuck in (at that angle etc.) that has allowed for issues to occur and put a bad taste in your mouth. I get it, but hopefully this one bad experience won't stop you from taking your Bronco on adventures.

Sponsored

Mishra42

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah I'm pretty surprised this happened. This is me 2 months after getting my Bronco. I never shut the engine off, and the alternator was a little off until I had the engine bay professionally cleaned, but otherwise no problems. I guess I did have the passenger side a little bit higher up. The dash showed about a 19 degree lean.
Ford Bronco How tough is this thing? IMG_4717 (1).JPG

OP
OP

broncabilly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The crankcase having water in it, I think many are surprised at like you are. The alternators have been a point of contention, but I have yet to replace mine (knock on wood). One thing you might have wanted to try is washing out the alternator to see if it would be brought back to life. A lot of time it is Silt or so from the mud clogging up the alternator. I installed the revised alternator splash guard Ford is installing (on 2023+ models I believe) and I am a little more confident in it.

Everyone here knows my foray into this mess, but the alternator was fine surprisingly. The Bronco was completely fine and still is to this day some 10k miles later.
Ford Bronco How tough is this thing? IMG_4717 (1).JPG

I think the reason you are feeling your doubts is because this is one of the first times out with your Bronco and it was just a bad water hole to get stuck in (at that angle etc.) that has allowed for issues to occur and put a bad taste in your mouth. I get it, but hopefully this one bad experience won't stop you from taking your Bronco on adventures.
Thanks for the info on the splash guard, I'll definitely be getting that. Almost seems like an admission on their part...
I think you're not quite as deep as me in the front, the water line was just below my headlight. Guess that's how much you were ok by!

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I dunno maybe 20 minutes.

Also for everyone's amusement:
I kicked my shoes off to attach a front winch line, and walked into the water. With all that was going on it didn't really register but in the back of my mind somewhere I was thinking, 'why is it only mid-shin deep?' It was about that time that the not completely hardened false bottom gave way and I plunged another three feet down, where the real muck was! Oh, and then the skies opened and it started absolutely pouring. I'm really grateful to the several trucks that were out there offering their help, even during the downpour. Good people.

And now you'all know why I always preach about the Rough Country hidden winch mount. You would have been digging in the mud to get to the winch rope.

Ford Bronco How tough is this thing? 1692127256290

But hey what do I know. 😁

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm guessing the problem is RIGHT here... That is the crankcase vent tube (blue line) and it was likely underwater or partially submerged which is why you sucked water into your crankcase. PCV = positive crankcase ventilation, this is where the PCV system intakes fresh air.

Ford Bronco How tough is this thing? 1692128810031
Sponsored