Farris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

No, and you should NEVER lease any vehicle.
I have leased and been happy with many vehicles. There are several reasons you SHOULD lease:
1. Your vehicle is likely to be under warranty the whole time which means you should not have to worry about your vehicle at all.
2. The payment is typically much lower. It is all about the payment. Ignore the interest rate etc. Payment and miles per year are what matters. If you are paying $350 instead of $550 per month and you are out of the lease in 3 years, you gain $200/month in money you can invest. So you actually DO come out ahead, if you have the discipline to not spend the savings. Also, if you have the money, you can do a one time payment with a lease, so you don't have to deal with interest rate at all.
3. Remember, you have to pay insurance, fees, taxes etc anyway. It is not like you are not going to have additional costs even if you buy. Some of these costs are lower with a lease.
4. You are not stuck with a vehicle you don't like in 3 years. Instead, you typically have the option to buy it if you want... or just get a new one and walk away.
5. Generally speaking, leasing is "safer" than buying. Not just financially, but also because vehicle safety features are evolving very rapidly. You will always get the latest and greatest if you lease.
Sponsored

Last edited:

NM_21Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How do you negotiate a trade-in (in Dec) for a Bronco delivery in Jul or later? Thanks
You can at least have it evaluated and discuss price in current condition with x amount of miles added on. They should be able to give you a close estimate. Just take care of the car in the meantime.

bobbleheadguru

Base
First Name
Farris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Mustangs lease out locally in SE Michigan at about $350-400/month (for the base 4 cylinder model).
Maybe the Bronco could start in that range...

There are lots of very favorable lease deals with Wranglers (because of super high residual values)... so that is a very encouraging sign.

XCR440

Badlands
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, 22 Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have leased and been happy with many vehicles. There are several reasons you SHOULD lease:
1. Your vehicle is likely to be under warranty the whole time which means you should not have to worry about your vehicle at all.
2. The payment is typically much lower. It is all about the payment. Ignore the interest rate etc. Payment and miles per year are what matters. If you are paying $350 instead of $550 per month and you are out of the lease in 3 years, you gain $200/month in money you can invest. So you actually DO come out ahead, if you have the discipline to not spend the savings. Also, if you have the money, you can do a one time payment with a lease, so you don't have to deal with interest rate at all.
3. Remember, you have to pay insurance, fees, taxes etc anyway. It is not like you are not going to have additional costs even if you buy. Some of these costs are lower with a lease.
4. You are not stuck with a vehicle you don't like in 3 years. Instead, you typically have the option to buy it if you want... or just get a new one and walk away.
5. Generally speaking, leasing is "safer" than buying. Not just financially, but also because vehicle safety features are evolving very rapidly. You will always get the latest and greatest if you lease.
Leasing is a good/bad thing, I'd suggest anyone looking at leasing do their homework first.

1. Not true, warranty is the same on a lease as a purchase. If you do a 3 year standard lease, your covered to 36,000, but if you run to the 45,000 you're allowed, your at your own expense for anything (except powertrain) during those miles. Maintenance is the same either way, so you do have the same expense on both.

2 Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I just grabbed a Mustang as your example, priced at MSRP ($34780, standard lease, 36 months, Smartvincent quick payment estimate says $556/month, this would include tax, you'd have acquisition fees, and lease end fees on top. Did a 60 month at 0.9% on 36519 (figured tax since it was included in lease payment), payment was $623. Yes its more, but not drastically. $2412 more paid on purchase, minus the $645 Acquisition and $345 lease end leaves $1372 so you can see total spent isn't much different at the 3 year mark.

The leases on ads are always ultra low mileage leases (and that may work for some, but remember ultra low mileage makes resale great on a purchased unit too, but won't lower the payments, just up the resale). They also usually show down payment, and thats just putting money upfront to lower your payments, you don't get it back if you purchase the car, its just prepaying the payments.

3 True.

4. I'd say the opposite is true, you're stuck with it like it or not. On a purchase you can trade at any time, on a lease, not much you can do (paying it in full, repo, or dying are about all I've seen work to get out of a lease). I've seen lots of people want out of their lease, most commonly due to mileage issues (can't stay in the mileage they leased for), but also do to having kids, job changes etc.

5. I'd argue this, but say its an even risk. Leasing has one VERY big risk and thats miles. I've seen countless people end up with more miles than they had in their lease and the penalties are harsh. I've had one that went way over (low mileage lease, bought elsewhere, moved here), they couldn't afford the penalty to turn it in and couldn't get a loan to buy it since with the mileage it wasn't worth what the buyout of the lease cost. I think they ended up making payments to Ford Credit for the penalty, but I'm not 100% on that.

That said, leasing does have a place, its just not for everyone, but I'd recommend anyone doing a lease do their homework and calculate the amount paid vs amount on a purchase (including fees, leasing often has a lot of them). Also make sure your good with the mileage that you lease for, if young, and likely to have kids (need something larger) or change jobs (drive more miles) , I'd avoid leasing.
Also if a business that makes a large difference due to ease of tax destructibility on a lease being a big advantage for leasing.
On the flip side if you can't deduct the payments and put on a lot of miles, leasing is very unlikely to work for you.

Garbone

Big Bend
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1962 C10, 21 Mustang, 12 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
:unsure: I wonder if they will let me put it on my Visa, 2% cash back on that puppy.

Sponsored

bobbleheadguru

Base
First Name
Farris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Leasing is a good/bad thing, I'd suggest anyone looking at leasing do their homework first.

1. Not true, warranty is the same on a lease as a purchase. If you do a 3 year standard lease, your covered to 36,000, but if you run to the 45,000 you're allowed, your at your own expense for anything (except powertrain) during those miles. Maintenance is the same either way, so you do have the same expense on both.

2 Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I just grabbed a Mustang as your example, priced at MSRP ($34780, standard lease, 36 months, Smartvincent quick payment estimate says $556/month, this would include tax, you'd have acquisition fees, and lease end fees on top. Did a 60 month at 0.9% on 36519 (figured tax since it was included in lease payment), payment was $623. Yes its more, but not drastically. $2412 more paid on purchase, minus the $645 Acquisition and $345 lease end leaves $1372 so you can see total spent isn't much different at the 3 year mark.

The leases on ads are always ultra low mileage leases (and that may work for some, but remember ultra low mileage makes resale great on a purchased unit too, but won't lower the payments, just up the resale). They also usually show down payment, and thats just putting money upfront to lower your payments, you don't get it back if you purchase the car, its just prepaying the payments.

3 True.

4. I'd say the opposite is true, you're stuck with it like it or not. On a purchase you can trade at any time, on a lease, not much you can do (paying it in full, repo, or dying are about all I've seen work to get out of a lease). I've seen lots of people want out of their lease, most commonly due to mileage issues (can't stay in the mileage they leased for), but also do to having kids, job changes etc.

5. I'd argue this, but say its an even risk. Leasing has one VERY big risk and thats miles. I've seen countless people end up with more miles than they had in their lease and the penalties are harsh. I've had one that went way over (low mileage lease, bought elsewhere, moved here), they couldn't afford the penalty to turn it in and couldn't get a loan to buy it since with the mileage it wasn't worth what the buyout of the lease cost. I think they ended up making payments to Ford Credit for the penalty, but I'm not 100% on that.

That said, leasing does have a place, its just not for everyone, but I'd recommend anyone doing a lease do their homework and calculate the amount paid vs amount on a purchase (including fees, leasing often has a lot of them). Also make sure your good with the mileage that you lease for, if young, and likely to have kids (need something larger) or change jobs (drive more miles) , I'd avoid leasing.
Also if a business that makes a large difference due to ease of tax destructibility on a lease being a big advantage for leasing.
On the flip side if you can't deduct the payments and put on a lot of miles, leasing is very unlikely to work for you.
I think one key point you make that I did not emphasize is that you have to get the right number of miles. I would not get a 10K/year lease to save money. However, I have never gone over by enough to make it a bad decision. I usually do 15K or 13.5K per year. I have typically driven about 50miles/day on the weekdays and drive my wife's car more on the weekends/longer trips.

Also, lease v. buy depends on the brand. Most Lincolns are far better to lease than buy if you work through the numbers.

Last edited:

bigsky713

Badlands
First Name
Vernon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 Ford Bronco / 2002 Ford Super Duty 7.3 PS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We are js

How would we be able to take a reservation from the customer...

If the customer does not place an order on it then the reservation dies...

We had a customer that ordered a Bronco Sport and wanted the Bronco non sport, her reservation expired and we will give her the $100 back because it can no longer be cancelled..
You mentioned that the customers reservations expired? What was the time limit for her to order and / or lose her reservation due to expiring?

Granger Ford

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You mentioned that the customers reservations expired? What was the time limit for her to order and / or lose her reservation due to expiring?

I do no know they usually have a few weeks to chose the options and color...

maxmxa

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
i’d really like to get the black diamond bc my fiancé wants the cyber orange(yellow) but our trade in is only worth 2k on kbb and I want to get the price down to 30 or less with down payment+trade. do you think the dealership would give me more for my trade in if I go up from a big bend to black diamond?
If your trade is $2K on KBB, the dealer will probably give you $500. They'll tell you all kinds of stories about reconditioning fees and safety inspections, etc. Just sell it yourself and save the headache trying to haggle over a ridiculous offer from a dealer.
That would be also the same dealer that if you were to sell the same Bronco just a week later, they'll at least knock off $7K from the price to buy it from you. It's one of the fastest ways to lose money :rolleyes:

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Maybe I'm an idiot, but does everyone believe that Ford is going to allow all 165,000 reservations holders to place their orders in December? That would be a logistical nightmare and simply doesn't make sense.

It seems more likely that, a couple of months before your build date, Ford will notify the dealership that you are eligible to convert your reservation to an order. The dealership will then contact you and input your desired specifications into the system.

Considering the fact that new reservations will be delivered in 2022, I cannot believe that Ford will accept these orders in December 2020.

I could be wrong, but willing to bet that I'm not. ?

Sponsored

Brocked

Wildtrak
First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Maybe I'm an idiot, but does everyone believe that Ford is going to allow all 165,000 reservations holders to place their orders in December? That would be a logistical nightmare and simply doesn't make sense.

It seems more likely that, a couple of months before your build date, Ford will notify the dealership that you are eligible to convert your reservation to an order. The dealership will then contact you and input your desired specifications into the system.

Considering the fact that new reservations will be delivered in 2022, I cannot believe that Ford will accept these orders in December 2020.

I could be wrong, but willing to bet that I'm not. ?
Not at all. My dealer said that Ford will tell the dealers who to have start coming in to Place the order in an orderly fashion. Plus, I bet half of the 165,000 reservations never actually place an order.

GoDawgs!!!

Outer Banks
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Company car
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I received and email confirmation from my local ford dealership on the second day of reservations but the acknowledgment did not include a reservation number. I asked them and they said it wasn't necessary. How did everyone else get a confirmed number?

Granger Ford

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I received and email confirmation from my local ford dealership on the second day of reservations but the acknowledgment did not include a reservation number. I asked them and they said it wasn't necessary. How did everyone else get a confirmed number?
If you are asking for a dealers perspective...

We have a website that tells us the time stamp, res # and more information...

Brocked

Wildtrak
First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Did you not get an email from Ford with the reservation number? If not log into your Ford account you created when you reserved the Bronco.

GoDawgs!!!

Outer Banks
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Company car
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Did you not get an email from Ford with the reservation number? If not log into your Ford account you created when you reserved the Bronco.
Thanks Brock. All good. Reservation # 10212681
Sponsored