First Name
Dallas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I guess it’s just amazing to me that cars today allow this to happen.

I was able to use my phone to restart, but I couldn’t get it out of park.
This is very much by design. Since most people have their key fob in their pocket, if you get carjacked the designers want the vehicle to be able to be driven away. You're a lot safer having them drive away then get stuck the next time they put it in park, rather than having it lock up with you right there. That's when the assailant starts getting violent with you instead of the vehicle.

A few years ago before all of our cars had these fobs my wifes boss at the time had her drive him to court in his Mercedes. Later that day she was supposed to pick him up but couldn't find the key. She was freaking out thinking she lost her bosses keys. Turns out he had them all along. He got an uber back to the office LOL.
Sponsored

Yeti-X

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mine must be very touchy I can not stand outside my vehicle and start my vehicle with my keys in my pocket I lean in push the brakes with my hand and hit the push button no key detected I put the keys on my seat and then it starts

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This is very much by design. Since most people have their key fob in their pocket, if you get carjacked the designers want the vehicle to be able to be driven away.
Luckily I’ve never been car jacked, but I’m guessing a very large amount of people would put the vehicle in park before so it isn’t trying to roll away as they’re getting out.
If the fob is in their pocket, the car jacker isn’t going to be going anywhere without the fob.

Sponsored

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
One of the reasons I do not like Key FOB's with push button start. Call me old school but I much prefer keys in the ignition.

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Are you afraid some one will break in and steel you bronco. Lots of people do it heck I do it with my old truck but hear of lots of thefts so trying to retrain myself. I also noticed that if my key is not in my right pocket I get a no key. If it’s in my left pocket it will not work. Hate it but then again at least I know I have my key with me
I have a different risk tolerance than a lot of people but I also now live in very low crime neighborhoods. Very different from when I was young and poor or from our 20 years living in “good” neighborhoods in Northern California. We had 3 smash ‘n grabs on vehicles parked in some of the most expensive Zip codes in the U.S. while living in the Bay Area near San Jose.

I’ve now leave the keys in the car at our MN and Florida homes and we don’t lock things like our bunk house at our summer home even when we aren’t around for months at a time during the winter. I don’t even worry about locking the doors at the lake when we are sleeping at night, it’s that safe/low crime in much of rural MN. If nothing is inside of my vehicle(no sunglasses or other stuff) I won’t lock my car when parked in a public place as it prevents the potential thief from smashing a window, cutting the soft top, or punching out the door lock.

Last edited:

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
One of the reasons I do not like Key FOB's with push button start. Call me old school but I much prefer keys in the ignition.
Call me old school but I miss having to harness the motor to the vehicle and give it a carrot to get going :D

Reactions: Tex

70Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70 Bronco; 11 Jetta TDI; 03 Duramax
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm wondering what this "Park" feature is on your Broncos. My gearshift is mostly numbers. LOL
Sponsored