Sponsored

I hope the Bronco has more steering feel than the Ranger.

SwankyTiger

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So my dad has a 2019 Ranger FX4 which I drove for the first time yesterday.

It has the absolute worst steering feel of any car that I have driven recently. My daily driver is a 2015 Toyota Avalon Hybrid and it has more steering feel than the ranger. The rangers steering is unnervingly light, like it doesn't even feel like the steering wheel is connected to the front wheels. I am pretty sure a Cruisin' USA arcade machine has more steering feel.

I know its a truck but I was still expecting something.

The 2.3/10 speed combo was fine and enough power. The truck rode fine but I just couldn't get past the steering feel. I want to know what my wheels are doing or at least trick me with the fake heavier steering that they can do on electric power steering vehicles.

I have already cancelled my reservation because of the Raptor variant being likely sooner rather than later and the new big Raptor coming soon, but the steering would be a deal breaker for me.
Sponsored

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

They might include modes like the Mustang and Raptor have, but I doubt it. It would be a welcomed feature though. They have Comfort/Normal/Sport.

RedTetsu13

Black Diamond
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Elantra Sedan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It has the absolute worst steering feel of any car that I have driven recently. My daily driver is a 2015 Toyota Avalon Hybrid and it has more steering feel than the ranger. The rangers steering is unnervingly light, like it doesn't even feel like the steering wheel is connected to the front wheels. I am pretty sure a Cruisin' USA arcade machine has more steering feel.

I know its a truck but I was still expecting something.

The 2.3/10 speed combo was fine and enough power. The truck rode fine but I just couldn't get past the steering feel. I want to know what my wheels are doing or at least trick me with the fake heavier steering that they can do on electric power steering vehicles.

I have already cancelled my reservation because of the Raptor variant being likely sooner rather than later and the new big Raptor coming soon, but the steering would be a deal breaker for me.
My advice to you good sir, don't drive a S550 Mustang unless its an Ecoboost HPP, Shelby GT350/500. It does suck that this was a major issue point but to me the Ranger's steering feel wasn't nearly as bad as a base Mustang. Well in the meantime Have fun with the Raptor/Warthog (whichever name they officially decide to go with...).

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I haven't driven a new Ranger but think you covered the culprit with the electric steering box. I am not a fan of any new car I've driven including the GTI that I recently sold off that's heralded with good steering feel.

Now I do own an old Ranger and yes, it's a truck, a small one and it handles ok but you could never compare it to an Avalon which even in 2015 was a semi luxury car nee Lexus.

Sponsored
OP
OP

SwankyTiger

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford Bronco I hope the Bronco has more steering feel than the Ranger. 965A8FC6-9C41-4917-9B9C-FD93E998148A

Different GOAT modes have different steering inputs.
I mean in normal driving. Having to have TC off to have decent steering isn't going to work.

OP
OP

SwankyTiger

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I haven't driven a new Ranger but think you covered the culprit with the electric steering box. I am not a fan of any new car I've driven including the GTI that I recently sold off that's heralded with good steering feel.

Now I do own an old Ranger and yes, it's a truck, a small one and it handles ok but you could never compare it to an Avalon which even in 2015 was a semi luxury car nee Lexus.
I've owned a 2017 MX-5 RF and a 2020 Hyundai Veloster N, both with electric power steering and both had perfectly fine steering in normal driving mode. I liked both of them.

Avalon is considered a sub-luxury car since it isn't from a luxury brand but i get your point.

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

That chart is just guessing. None of that is set in stone. Do you guys also seriously think the Bronco has active exhaust?? Come on now....

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

what pressure was in the front tires on your dad's ranger?

if they're overinflated, you'll get much less steering feel.

it could easily happen since the bozo's at many dealers insist on filling
to the max pressure on the side of the tire instead of the placard mounted on the vehicle.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Have you driven many cars made in the 2000's?

The Ranger is about on par. Not to mention the design requirements for something actually made to haul a load and tow. It's a sacrifice to drive any truck without a load. and you've done that with it bone dry and come up wanting... From a truck without a load.

An adequate comparison would be to be pissed off at how slow a 911 RS is on track with an empty fuel tank.

I only ask because you allude to driving other vehicles (assuming cars based on the style of post) but overall i'm happy you cancelled your reservation. This reduces the number of people who will complain about the smallest things of their Bronco by one here on the forums. That's that's nice.
Sponsored