Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Element, ‘75 Bronco widow
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Latching/unlatching helps with alignment. You should also try a wrap of electric tape on the roof panel pins. Does wonders!
No that’s not how it works lmao. Yours just has t started yet.
Sponsored

Broncola

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Element, ‘75 Bronco widow
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Three mile drive doesn’t seem like optimal test conditions. Neither does mid trip removal. Probably need to be in the right mood as well. And finding the proper window up/down position helps. You should try again, but you do you…enjoy!

It was a nice day out and I've owned my Bronco for almost two months now, so I decided to try removing the roof panels for the three mile drive back home from the grocery store. I didn't have the special storage bag with me, but I have a bunch of towels in the back, so they were still protected. It was easy enough to get them off, since I don't currently have the roof rack installed. For some reason I was surprised that they pretty much block the view out the back.

My opinion of the experience is that it's slightly better than a sun roof, but not nearly as good as a real convertible. The wind buffeting was extreme even at 40 mph. And it wasn't clear to me if it was better with the windows up or down. Once I got home, it was easy enough to re-install them. Just gotta remember driver-side comes off first and goes on last.

I'll be sticking to my Mustang from here on for open air driving. Those roof panels will be saying on the Bronco.

NWrxLZf.jpg

GreenMtnBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BadSquatch; 13 Wrangler JK; 04 Lifted Mini
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a JK and a former Triumph TR 6 and Audi S5 Cab owner. The Triumph rarely went out, was an easy manual top. The audi couldnt be beat, I just drove it too fast. The JK with the swing open top was easy. I have an Hardtop & soft top for it (daughter has it now), we would swap in the hard top for Northeast weather from October through April, seemed like the best option. When I can get a hardtop for the bronco we;ll do the same.

Ftchmup

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco, 20 F-250 Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
The tops are not meant to be carried. Take them off and leave them off.
Take the entire roof off! It’s awesome. But the best is no top and no doors.
23629E2A-2AE6-4190-8C3F-1D3B2F1723CC.jpeg
Pics or didn’t happen, gotta Get the wife on board With the no doors, She is apprehensive.

Sponsored

Ftchmup

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco, 20 F-250 Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Would a mesh top help the noise decibels?
I don’t know if it helps with noise much, but it does help with wind buffering. Biggest reason why I like it, is it helps shade the direct overhead sun.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Soft and hard tops, removeable panels, etc. all have a degree of "difficulty" or "Time factor". I have had 4 Jeep TJ Wranglers- one with both soft and hard top. The soft tops are great that they have individual removeable window panels. Then you can simply drop the whole top after. It is some effort thought.

The removeable panels in the Bronco seems like a nice concept though although seems to have a lot of wind buffeting. I'll experience it when I get my Bronco hopefully in the next 3 months, LOL. (Built week of 1/17).

To me the best are straight forward convertible cars- electric tops being second best to manual. The electric ones can fail and can be problematic. And they are slow. The best convertible of all to me is the Miata- simple, manual and 2 seconds up, 2 seconds down. You would only know if you owned one.

Lucky

Banned
Raptor
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 OB Sasquatch V6 2-Door AMB
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I've owned my Bronco for almost two months now, so I decided to try removing the roof panels
Two months? It took you two months to remove the panels? What we’re you doing for two months that was more important than taking the top off your new Bronco? Do you even like your Bronco?

Ummm... I have a 2-door. There is no way they're laying horizontal.
Remove the rear seats. Problem solved. Or keep them for the once-in-a-blue-moon chance that someone will want to sit back there.

BTomorama

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Nissan Rogue
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

That’s a cool idea. Too bad it’s so freaking ugly. I guess it’s more incentive to keep the top down all the time😬
That was just the first round prototype, but yeah the rear side windows were way too small. They've increased this enow on newer prototypes.

They just wanted to make sure that it was functional for SEMA with the original :D.

TXAG96

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Bullitt, '01 Boxster, '87 TBird Turbo Coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Have you been to a strip club around here...that's what you just did, teased yourself. I would recommend taking it all off so you can feel all the features...like Amsterdam's red light district.
All the features? Like itchy and scratchy nether regions? Lol.
funny analogy!!!!

Sponsored

Jawbox

Big Bend
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
For me, with my Jeeps, the whole top comes off in April or May, and I'll run the Bikini all summer. Top goes back on in late October for the snowy subzero months.

I plan to run my Bronco the same way. I doubt I'll ever run with just the front panels off. What I like about it is that it makes it a little easier to store away than the old one piece CJ and YJ hardtops.

WCS67

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I HIGHLY recommend taking the entire roof off AND doors for the full experience.
I did the same thing when I got mine (front panels only) and was like "eh, it's ok." But once I took everything off, it was exactly what I expected!
Plus the amount of compliments and "I had no idea the top and doors came off" you will get from other drivers is worth it.
That would be awesome to do this in certain parts of the country and if you had a second car to drive. Not really practical for areas that get a lot of rain.

Last edited:

pimpjuice

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That would be awesome to do this in certain parts of the country and if you had a second car to drive. No really practical for areas that get a lot of rain.
True. I live in Florida and have a 2nd car, so it's ideal. I did end up putting on the soft top because we are entering the season were it will spontaneously rain without warning.

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I didn't buy it because the top can be removed, I bought it because it's a great 4x4 and it's not a Jeep.

Did you buy yours to drive around with the top off?

Yeah, we all did.
That’s not necessarily true. I think there are plenty of people who bought the Bronco despite it having a convertible top, not because of it. I remember a few people stating flat out on this forum that they never plan on removing the top. Ford even teased the idea of making a Bronco with a solid, fixed roof, and I’m sure some folks would buy one. Not many, probably, but you never know…

OP
OP
Scott R Nelson

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Two months? It took you two months to remove the panels? What we’re you doing for two months that was more important than taking the top off your new Bronco? Do you even like your Bronco?
Not all of us live somewhere warm like California. The first month of ownership, the average morning temperature was around 20 degrees.

So I took it on a long drive out to Atlanta, ID with a bunch of Jeeps, in the snow all the way there and back. And I've been working on multiple different ways of getting it all muddy. The 4x4 abilities are way more important to me than opening up the top. In fact, an open top doesn't even make my top ten list of important features.

A couple of photos of places I've taken it:
fjW782z.jpg

b1LWjhI.jpg
Sponsored